Progresso Beaches

JDOUGLEJ

Our family cruise in August stops in Progresso. Have been to Mexico several times but nobody in family has ever been to Progresso. Knowing that Grand Children will want to go to the beach, Papaw needs to know where to take them.:p Is a good one close to dock? Do we need taxi? Do we need to book excursion as best alternative? Thank you in advance for any information.:)

Our family cruise in August stops in Progresso. Have been to Mexico several times but nobody in family has ever been to Progresso. Knowing that Grand Children will want to go to the beach, Papaw needs to know where to take them.:p Is a good one close to dock? Do we need taxi? Do we need to book excursion as best alternative? Thank you in advance for any information.:)

The beach is very easy to get to in Progreso.. A bus will pick you up when you get off the ship and deposit you at an open air market. You can walk to the beach from there.. A very short walk, just follow the trail of people.. You can take a taxi from the beach back to the ship.. The pier is about 5 miles long so you have to take the bus from the ship, the bus ride is free..

When you dock you will take a bus to the town because the pier is so far out. When you get off the bus you will just follow everyone else into the shopping area or to the beach or there is a double decker bus that takes you for a quick ride around town so you can get oriented and it passes the beach area. When you get off the bus you can walk to the beach which is a few blocks away. As you get to the beach you will be greated by someone who will get your chairs, umbrellas, drinks etc. and you will be approached by various venders to buy items. One thing to be prepared for is the water color. Due to sediment the water looks more brown than beautiful blue. It has to do with the currents so don't think it's polluted water. Everything I read says its ok!

I just got off the Fantasy last week. My grandchildren loved the beach at Progreso and had a great time. However, I saw several pieces of glass in the sand, so I made them wear water shoes.

We sailed to Progresso on the Glory a few years ago. I thought it was a pretty bad port of call. Maybe things have changed but the port area was pretty nice and very new. Beyond the port area, it wasn't good - the beach it isn't on the Caribbean, so the water isn't lovely and blue and the sand is more brownish than tan. The weather that day was windy and it wasn't great even walking around. I would recommend doing a tour or something. Our table mates when to the ruins tour and said it was nice and glad they made the trip.

The beach is very easy to get to in Progreso.. A bus will pick you up when you get off the ship and deposit you at an open air market. You can walk to the beach from there.. A very short walk, just follow the trail of people.. You can take a taxi from the beach back to the ship.. The pier is about 5 miles long so you have to take the bus from the ship, the bus ride is free..

Hey Carolyn........ just wanted to say Hello. Angie & I still remember you & CD. You guys are awesome Table Mates :D

Hey Carolyn........ just wanted to say Hello. Angie & I still remember you & CD. You guys are awesome Table Mates :D

And a big hello back to ya.. So are you planning your next adventure?

Suppose it includes Progreso.. We are going in Sept..

Hola,

On two of our trips to Progreso the wind was blowing pretty hard. The water was roiled and sand blew across the beach. If the wind is bad or if after seeing the beach you have doubts, you might want to consider a trip to Reef Yucatan. Don't get me wrong, I like Progreso. I think that it is a neat, "REAL" mexican, town. But what I like and what you like may be two different things.

The resort is pretty plush. It has plenty of beach for the beachcombers in the group, volleyball, lots of kiddie toys in a fenced-in area and one of the biggest , most gorgeous pools that I have seen. Couple that with a side trip to a small Mayan ruin and an open bar and there is something for everyone. Check out their website.

My group just hung out at the beach all day. It was not the cleanest, neatest, prettiest water and beach, but it was nice and we really enjoyed it.

The teenagers did the banana boat for $5 each and loved it! They rode it all day and the men driving the boat for them were great. They gave our teenagers exactly what they wanted... a fast, fun ride on the boats. We enjoyed the beach and had a great waiter.

Again, this is authentic mexico, not touristy. We enjoyed the experience of the more authentic mexican atmosphere, and loved the air market shopping and the prices - cheaper than Coz!

My group just hung out at the beach all day. It was not the cleanest, neatest, prettiest water and beach, but it was nice and we really enjoyed it.

The teenagers did the banana boat for $5 each and loved it! They rode it all day and the men driving the boat for them were great. They gave our teenagers exactly what they wanted... a fast, fun ride on the boats. We enjoyed the beach and had a great waiter.

Again, this is authentic mexico, not touristy. We enjoyed the experience of the more authentic mexican atmosphere, and loved the air market shopping and the prices - cheaper than Coz!

Glad ya'll had a good time. We did too!

The beach in Progreso is shallow so Grand Kids will love it. Go to Buddy's restuarant and get a table on the beach. Kids can play in the water and you will have shade. Buddy's has great food and the kitchen is clean, and the meat they use is USDA so your safe to eat there, also they use purified water.

Anyone do the flamingo visit? I read about it, but haven't found anyone that has been and if it is worth it or not?:)

The Flamingos tour is great with Autoprogreso It includes Xcambo ruins which are also good and not very crowded. Our tour operator made the tour very enjoyable, and it wasn't expensive

I just got back from Progresso last week. There was a red tide warning,however, we went in the water anyway and we are fine. I would definetly suggest the autoprogresso tour that is offered as you get off the boat. It was $45 per person and it takes you to the Reef yucatan resort! The resort is beautiful! The lunch was wonderful (fajitas, tacos, taco salad, dips, salsa, mexican sausage, fruit, fries and burgers also)! All the drinls you can drink (soft drinks, liquor, frozen cocktails, beer everything). A tour of the ruins is also included if you want to do that or you can just stay at the beach resort the whole time. All of the kids that were there were having a really good time as well!!! We had just as much fun there as we had in Cozumel!!!

I just got back from Progresso last week. There was a red tide warning,however, we went in the water anyway and we are fine. I would definetly suggest the autoprogresso tour that is offered as you get off the boat. It was $45 per person and it takes you to the Reef yucatan resort! The resort is beautiful! The lunch was wonderful (fajitas, tacos, taco salad, dips, salsa, mexican sausage, fruit, fries and burgers also)! All the drinls you can drink (soft drinks, liquor, frozen cocktails, beer everything). A tour of the ruins is also included if you want to do that or you can just stay at the beach resort the whole time. All of the kids that were there were having a really good time as well!!! We had just as much fun there as we had in Cozumel!!!

Hey Holmes,

You didn't tell them about the huge, fantastic pool.

J.D., I think we found your spot. The picture you sent was great and the beer was cheap. Had a blast! Thanks for your help.

Hello Jammers22

What was the name of the place? We will be there in August and it looks like a little place we found in Costa Maya before hurricane destroyed it. Thanks in advance for your reply.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Info if you can, please. Does the lunch, etc come in the $45 fee, or it everything extra above the $45 fee? It sounds great for Me, the Hubby and 3 1/2 old little princess. : ) Thanks again. Kelly

Archived