Lunch on embarcation day - Calypso

We have now booked our first ever cruise - on the Calypso, leaving from Thessaloniki, Greece. As we are travelling independently to the port, arriving the day before, we'd like to board early ....... our confirmation says from 12H00. If we embark then, will we be able to get lunch? Does someone know the restaurant/bistro opening hours please?

Sorry, can't help with specifics as I haven't yet been on the Calypso, but if the other Thomson ships are anything to go by, a full selection of meals is available all day on embarkation day. Because passengers are arriving and leaving at different times according to their flight times, meals are provided as usual so that you can have something to eat as soon as you arrive and during the whole day before you leave if yours is a late flight.

As there is a dining room and a buffet on Calypso, I would expect both would be serving lunch when you arrive - this is the case with the other ships. The buffets have meals all day: breakfast, followed by lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, late night snacks. There really isn't a gap - they start closing one service e.g. breakfast and at the same time are opening up for lunches. The dining room has set meal times and sometimes they vary a little from day to day e.g. breakfast may start a bit earlier if there are lots of long excursions on that day which have an early start.

I'm sure someone who's been on the Calypso will be able to tell you more specific details of the arrangements on that ship. Enjoy your first cruise!

Hi, We were on the Calypso last May, did the Black sea resorts.We boarded late afternoon and the buffet was open. Passengers are on and off the ship all day, many were doing the 2 weeks so I would imagine the resturant would be open, we did not use it on the last day so I cannot say for certain. What ever you will not go hungry. The first evening dinner is open sitting, there after you are allocated a table, or use the buffet. Any other questions I'll be pleased to answer

Thanks SparrowLegs!

Four for starters

1) Is there a launderette or laundry service on board (and are the prices reasonable?)?

2) Is landing at Nessebur in Bulgaria by tender or in a port?

3) If you arrived at Istanbul mid-afternoon ... how long did it take before you were off the ship?

4) Is there water available all day for free ........... where is it and does it taste OK? (For filling my bottle before going ashore!)

Very many thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

1. No launderette on board, but a laundry service is available, we didnt use it so cant comment on price, nothing really expensive on the Calypso, except perhaps the excursions and photos, but thats as all cruise ships, and in my opinion.

2. Nessebur we docked, as in all ports, its a small ship and can get in most places.

3. Istanbul we docked early morning and left 6pm. We didnt have any problems at any ports disembarking, easy stress free.

4. Water is free 24/7 as is tea and coffee, situated in the Bistro buffet adjacent to the rear door.

I am sure you will enjoy the Calypso it is a very friendly ship and very easy to get around. The weather was not to good for our week, but I was surprised how steady the ship was, The staff are brilliant, food good, entertainment ok but get to the show lounge handy for a decent seat. Stella on deck £2.05 inside £2.35 cocktails,wine, g&t similar, good value I thought. Greece takes the euro, and some places in Turkey otherwise its the lira, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Romania all different, so just be carefull how much money you change. A must see I thought is the Panorama museum in Sevastopol, and Istanbul ,a days not long enough.

We've just returned from this cruise and loved every minute of it!!!

Just one point re the water machines...it is available in the bistro all day but there is a big notice saying not to fill water bottles from it 'for hygiene reasons'....bottles of water are quite cheap tho' small 60p and large 1.20. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have!!

Archived