Itinerary..1st timer snorkel on my own?

patches12

Three of us are first time snorkelers. We will be going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Maartin, and San Juan.

As newbies do we need to sign up for an excursion or can we safely snorkel in any of these places on our own? Like right off a beach. Might do both if anyone has any suggestions. I am not a daredevil and will probably stay near the shore if on my own.

We will have our own masks, snorkels, and fins.

Thanks

Sure, you can do it on your own. As part of an excursion you'll profit from the local knowledge of the folks running the op., though. Without that, little online research should lead you to the spots good for snorkeling. (A good swimming beach is often not a good snorkeling beach. Swimmers want a uniform sandy bottom, which is unfortunately a desert as far as sea life is concerned.)

Re. safety... in addition to mask and fins, you might want to buy snorkeling vests. They'll keep you afloat if you tire or cramp. Don't snorkel alone, use the buddy system. And if you dive under the surface, follow the "one up, one down" rule.

Snorkeling in tropical waters is spectacular... have fun!

The other tip I might offer you is don't get sucked in to the idea that you need to do a ship's excursion because they offer "snorkeling instruction" or a "guide." The instruction consists of teaching you how to get your vest and mask on, and the guide wants you to follow him/her around the reef with 40 other people. That's not a good way to see anything. Part of the enjoyment is being able to be relaxed & take things at your own pace.

Great! Now which beach for snorkeling with which island????

St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts

How far from cruise ship are the best beaches in each of these places? Transportation costs? Taxi or bus?

I leave in less than two weeks, so I may not find anyplace to go!:D

I might be staying on the ship!

How far from cruise ship are the best beaches in each of these places? Transportation costs? Taxi or bus?

Sorry to jump on your thread here, but I thought I'd help you out for St. Thomas.

You can snorkle there in Coki or sapphire beach (just read the St.Thomas/St.John threads under ports of call). Here's a great thread for cheap transportation to those beaches too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298444&referrerid=285755

Good luck on finding some great beaches on the islands you'll be visiting! Just check under "ports of call" on the main boards.

• 5 months later...

I love to snorkel, but had a horrid experience at one of the caribbean islands when I swam over some low water and was afraid that I'd get cut or hurt the coral.

The water level is so deceptive since it's so clear.

Since then I've only snorkeled off boats in deeper water.

How can one tell when the water level gets too low?

Has anyone taken this tour, which goes out on a catamaran to two reefs? Was it any good? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a similar non-cruise line tour?

I can't see times listed on the website. Does it go out in the morning or afternoon? If both options are available, which is better? I'm cruising in early March, if that matters.

Thanks!

Barbados didn't really have good snorkeling - the beaches are gorgeous, but as stated above - not really good fore coral. On Dominica, across from the pier is a tourist office where you can find a taxi to take you around for the day - we ended up at the champagne reef - bubbles from hot springs. Again, you will find a lot of information on them on the Ports of Call. I have been to Antigua, but don't recall the snorkeling being that memorable. Sorry, can't help with St. Kitts or St. Lucia.

If you plan on snorkeling a couple different days and are beginners, you might want to go with a "charter" the 1st time in St Thomas and strike off on your own on the other islands. My wife was a novice and the little bit of instruction and proximity of the boat helped with her confidence. Very relaxed atmosphere, great crew and just two other couples. It was great. You won't regret getting the vest and save a bit of energy.

Any of the snorkeling spots can easily be done on your own in St Thomas. St Johns is nearby too (20 minute ferry ride) and is a much less crowded island (most of it is a National Park) and has more prime beach and snorkeling options.

• 2 weeks later...

Before going I went on the boards for those specific locations and found information that proved to give my family some incredible snorkling. We did the most amazing snorkle trip in both Barbados and Antigua off boats. Being out on the water in those areas is great. When in port for St Thomas, we took the ferry over to St. Johns where they have an actual snorkling path at one of the beaches. I think the first couple of times out on a boat is the best so you can get use to the equipment in areas where you are sure to see things. We didn't do any excursions from the cruise line and we are comfortable with that.

Archived