Snorkeling?

Grits53

How do you determine Good Snorkeling? The reason that I am asking because I don't want to mislead the information. A good snorkeling to me is lot of marine life, nice coral formation, good visibility and calm water. Below is my experience snorkeling at St. Kitts:

We snorkeled at Cockleshell beach which is next door to Turtle but facing Caribbean side. The water was calm and clear. Beach bar with foods/drink. There is mountain/reef to the left when entering the water. There was not school of fishes and spectacular coral formation like at Roatan, Cozumel, St. Lucia, but I enjoyed my time snorkeling there. I saw few rare and colorful fishes and a lot of star fishes. It offered the best of both world: sandy beach and offshore snorkeling. The drive was was unique since we saw both Atlantic and Caribbean at the same time. On the way, we saw a bay with tour boat, our tour guide told us that is White House Bay where tour boat stopping for snorkeling. You can get there by car but there is no beach facility.

MTV

How do you determine Good Snorkeling? The reason that I am asking because I don't want to mislead the information. A good snorkeling to me is lot of marine life, nice coral formation, good visibility and calm water. Below is my experience snorkeling at St. Kitts:

We snorkeled at Cockleshell beach which is next door to Turtle but facing Caribbean side. The water was calm and clear. Beach bar with foods/drink. There is mountain/reef to the left when entering the water. There was not school of fishes and spectacular coral formation like at Roatan, Cozumel, St. Lucia, but I enjoyed my time snorkeling there. I saw few rare and colorful fishes and a lot of star fishes. It offered the best of both world: sandy beach and offshore snorkeling. The drive was was unique since we saw both Atlantic and Caribbean at the same time. On the way, we saw a bay with tour boat, our tour guide told us that is White House Bay where tour boat stopping for snorkeling. You can get there by car but there is no beach facility.

MTV

Thank you. I appreciate your information. Maybe I can find a snorkeling excursion for White House Bay. You must have a great memory, to remember names like that!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree. Cockel Shell beach had great snorkeling. I was just there last Saturday. Its calm water and you can see fish in and snorkel in waist high water but you can swim and snorkel pretty far out too. Lots of star fish and other exotic shell type things on the bottom. There is a BBQ restaruant there which was good, $5 chair and umbrella rentals, free picnic tables, lots of shade trees. Cab rides were $26 each way in a van that could take up to 12 people.

~Lisa

Archived