Getting on & off tenders with a young child

kev_chua

Hi

We are new to cruising and will be doing an Alaska cruise this July.

In 1 or 2 of the ports, if we want to go on shore, we need to get on & off tenders.

How easy / difficult is it, especially with a young child.

Does it involve climbing up and down ladders etc.

Or do we just walk on the tender.

Kevin

There are no ladders involved but there can be some steps down into the tender boat. Many elderly people manage just fine so I think you will do OK with your child. Depending on the weather it can be a bit rocky but there are people there to help you on and off.

Kathy:)

We just got off a ship with a 2,4,6 and 10 yr old. We had no problem with the tenders and it was pretty choppy when we got back to the ship. They have plenty of people to help you get on and off. You basically go from a platform to fairly wide steps into the tender, there are hand rails and as I said employees to help you on and off.

If you have a very small child, I would suggest a Baby Bjorn or similar carrier so that your hands remain free.

With a child too big for a carrier, I wouldn't worry, as others have said. I've seen many people with small children and a stroller in tow do just fine.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Tenders are always the nerve-wrecking part of our cruise, as I'm alone with my twins, but it's actually fine. As a previous poster mentioned, elderly people manage, and when my husband was in a wheelchair, they just hoisted him onboard. For my girls, usually they just stay in their double stroller and the attendants lift it and carry it on. I put them in life jackets (that we bring along and then have for pool play) because I've read about the tender suddenly jumping and someone falling into the water - which I'm sure is VERY rare, but it just happens to be one of those things I have anxiety about.

Best,

Mia

Archived