Emerald Review - We are back!!

Hi again, seems my review hasn't made it to the review section yet! Here is a quick one for anyone travelling soon.

Our flight was delayed so long in Norwich we missed the sail away at Corfu. Thomsons arranged for us to do the Adriatic cruise instead of the Pearls of the Aegean so stayed with friends in Corfu the first week instead of the second week of our holiday. The ship is old but wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. She is kept spotlessly clean in all areas. The crew are very friendly and work hard 24/7. The food was very good, especially in the Chanterelle restaurant, although we did enjoy a couple of the midnight buffets on the pool deck! The entertainment was very good, especially "I'm an entertainer, get me out of here" on the pool deck on Thursday afternoon. Very funny!! Our cabin was for four people so plenty of room for us two but probably cramped for four adults. Loved Venice and Dubrovnik. We didn't do the Thomson tours as we thought them expensive but got taxis (very cheap) and did our own thing, seeing everything we wanted to. Gondolas in Venice are expensive so find someone to share with. Taxi at Dubrovnik 10 Euros from port to old city gate. Do the town wall walk, its worth the effort for the stunning views. Not for the elderly though, too many steps. Took us about 90 minutes going slowly. (Still recovering from a broken ankle). All in all another great Thomson cruise. Looking forward to the next one.

We are also going on August 1st and are beginning to count the days.

I know the ship is old but I have been told that the staff,entertainment and the places it visits more than make up for it.

Yes, take some coat hangers, there are not enough. Some passengers cancelled and got a full refund, others stayed overnight in Norwich, were transferred to Stanstead on the Saturday and flew to Athens. An overnight stay in Athens then a flight to Santorini on the Sunday to catch the ship there. They were given £100 each off as a refund. We didn't want to miss two days of the cruise and luckily our friends could put us up a week early.:) Loved it and didn't want to get off - again!!

Thanks, I am glad to hear that they offered a full refund although I suppose technically they were not required to do so. The negative publicity of a plane full of Thomsons passengers losing their holiday was probably enough to trigger the damage limitation. Happily I am flying Thomson Air next year so the whole plane will be full of happy Thomson cruisers secure in the knowledge that you will get your cruise, probably!

At the risk of being a Job's comforter, never say never, Davetheroad! Not everyone on your Thomson's flight will be going on a cruise. Last year on the Calypso a Thomson's flight was delayed and the ship went without them. It was quite a long delay, and the ship had to keep to it's schedule to get through the Corinth canal next day. They joined us 2 days late in Corfu- didn't look a happy bunch of travellers!

kate

Archived