About Gelato....

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Cynthia for this post. how do you remember so much of everything, do you have a book that you wrote??;)

I can't wait to have my favorite flavor "haselnut" :)

:D:D

No, I don't have a book....but I would be very happy to go back to Italy and do some further research on gelato for a future book. If only someone would pay my way!

I have been so jealous with all I have been reading about gelato and now to hear that there is even some non dairy... well, I am a happy camper! :D Can anyone please tell me how to ask which is non-dairy in Italian? Thank you!

You would ask for sorbetto not gelato. And it's not anything like the gelato, so don't get your hopes up too high.

You would ask for sorbetto not gelato. And it's not anything like the gelato, so don't get your hopes up too high.

There are a couple of types of gelato (not sorbetto, which is made with water) that are non-dairy. I've never tried them so I don't know how good they are:

Soya gelato (ask for "gelato di soia") is made from soy. I've heard it's not bad. Non-dairy; vegans can eat it also!

Blue Ice gelateria (a chain) generally has several different flavors of this soya gelato available. They have locations near Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and Piazza Navona.

Archived