About Gelato....

You weren't far off on your spelling. It's Giolitti and, yes, it's great. I thought it was better than San Crispino. And much easier to find!

We were at Giolitti about three weeks ago.

You pay at the cash first, and then take your ticket to the counter and pick your flavours. They have small ("piccolo"), large ("Grande"), and something they call "Gigantico"....10 Euros !! Now, I LOVE Gelato, so considered the Gigantico, and asked the cashier lady how big it was....she just held her hands apart, about two feet from top to bottom, and made such a face of horror....I should have gone for it ( I regret it now), but I had a Grande instead!!

Bellissimo!!

We were at Giolitti about three weeks ago.

You pay at the cash first, and then take your ticket to the counter and pick your flavours. They have small ("piccolo"), large ("Grande"), and something they call "Gigantico"....10 Euros !! Now, I LOVE Gelato, so considered the Gigantico, and asked the cashier lady how big it was....she just held her hands apart, about two feet from top to bottom, and made such a face of horror....I should have gone for it ( I regret it now), but I had a Grande instead!!

Bellissimo!!

LOL:) :) :) :)

There is a back main street near Rialto bridge that heads off to the right, in the direction of the hospital. You go through a bit of an arch and it is about 3 or 4 blocks down, I think Rick Steves recommends it. It is very good. There is another one down on a huge filled canal down by the Arsenale that had great gelato as well.

We have always been told to look at the colour of the pistachio. If it is bright green don't bother, but if it is a dull colour than it is probably authentic. You usually can't go too far wrong and you may discover your own favorite.

I love that there are so many of us gelato afficionados (sp?)

Another page to print - since I am only carrying the most important information with me! Thanks, cruisemom42!

:D

Dot

We haven't even booked our cruise yet (will finalize Monday!:)). My husband is laughing at me as I printed this out too. He says I should be focusing on more important things like where we will stay when we get to Rome, or even how to get to the hotel. But I have to get my priorities straight! Gelato it is!

The various gelato shops in Italy (and Split, Croatia of all places) have been invaluable in keeping our teens happy from time to time--it seemed that once they started getting a little testy, there was gelato around the corner ;).

Another good place close to the Pantheon (also known as Gelato Central) is Gelateria della Palma, which looks more like a U.S. ice cream store than the others, but also with great gelato.

Les

• 2 months later...
Someone mentioned how the huge gelato was 10 euros!!!!

What are the prices for a regular size anywhere??? I know it varies but what can one expect to pay and not think you're being ripped off? Have to know how much to budget for a daily dose!!!!

Thanks

It's pretty difficult to give a standard price. It varies quite a bit.

Gelato will cost more: in a touristy area, in a larger city, if you sit to eat it rather than taking it to go, if you get extras (toppings, whipped cream)

Gelato will cost less: in a more local neighborhood, in a smaller town (sometimes!), if you take it to go.....

You get the picture.

The perfect gelato, for me, is two flavors in a cup (not a cone); I would say that this is generally around 3 euros, maybe slightly more or less.

• 4 months later...

I found this info on another site and thought it would be very helpful for gelato lovers that don't speak the "gelato language". Although not knowing the language gives good reason to sample many flavors before actually making a selection!! Enjoy

ACE- orange carrot and lemon

After Eight- Creme de Menthe

Albicocca- apricot

Amarena- Cherry

Ananas-pineapple

Arancia- Orange

Bacio-chocolate hazelnut

Banana

Biscotto-biscotti

Caffe- Coffee

Cassata- cream with dried fruit and dark chocolate chunks

Champagne

Cioccolato-chocolate

Cioccolato Biano- White Chocolate

Cioccomenta- Chocolate Mint

Cocco- coconut

Cocomero-watermelon

Cubana- Chocolate Cream with Coffee

Eolie- cherry and nuts

Fichi- fig

Fiore di Fragola- strawberry vanilla

Fior di Latte- cream

Fior di Panna- cream?

Formmagio- cheesecake

Fragola- Strawberry

Frutti di Bosco- Mixed Fruit

Gianduia- chocolate and hazelnut

Lampone-raspberry

Limoncello

Limone- lemon

Lipari- rich pistacchio

Liquirizzia- Liquorice

Malaga- Rum Raisin

Mango

Marron Glace- Chestnut

Mascarpone-cream cheese

Mela Verde- green apple

Melone-cantalope

Mirtillo- blueberry

Mora- blackberry

Nutella- chocolate & hazelnut

Nocciola- hazelnut

Noce- walnut

Pera- pear

Pesca- peach

Pinoli- pine nut

Pistacchio

Pompela Rosa- pink grapefruit

Riso- rice

Stracciatella-choc chip

Tiramisu

Torrone- nougat

Vaniglia-vanilla

Zabaione- Eggs and marsala

Zuppa Inglese- Trifle cherries and chocolate!

Castagne- Chestnut

Sometimes it's worth paying the extra to sit down, take the weight off your feet and people watch whilst enjoying your gelato! And the passersby will watch you too ..... with envy at your concoctions!! A glass of water is necessary to quench your thirst and let you get on with enjoying your icecream for its glorious taste and texture, so make sure you are brought one!!

I can't believe there are so many flavors. :)

Thanks for posting.

Actually, there are a lot more flavors. If you go to a "real" gelatorio .. defined (by me <grin>) as one where they make their own... you will see some real oddball flavors.

Personally, there are only two flavors I like:

a) the one I just finished

b) the next one

Archived