Naples-Pompei-Sorrento-Capri: can it be done?

Ship arrives in Naples at 8 AM, departs at 6 PM

one of six in port that day, 14,888 capacity

Question is can you do all four in one day? 2 1/2 hours in Pompei, lunch in Sorrento, hydrafoil to Capra for a few hours and then hydrafoil across the bay to the Naple docks? Cutting it too close?

If it is doable, how would you suggest we handle transportation? Taxi to train station and train to Pompei and then train on to Sorrento? Bus to Pompei, train to Sorrento? Taxi to Pompei and train to Sorrento? Private car all the way?

Thanks

I think I answered a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but the search is not working. Yes, it can be done, but you are going to be rushed everywhere. You would need to get to Pompeii by around 9 (I believe this is the opening time). If you did rush through in less than 2 1/2 hours, you would probably be able to get to Sorrento by noon. Lets assume you eat at McDonalds (not my idea of a nice lunch at an Italian cafe) and are ready to leave by around 1 (you would not have had any time to really see Sorrento). You would have to catch a ferry but unless you could make the 11:45 ferry, you would have to wait until 1:45 (unless the schedule has changed) for the next ferry. 1:45 is just too late, because you would not get to Capri (Marina Grande) until about 2:15. You than have to take the funicular up to Capri Town (depending on the line this could take about 20 min), and than you would immediately have to think about turning around. The problem is that if there are a few ships in port, many of these passengers will go to Capri. And, they will all need to take the return jet boats about the same time (no later than 4 since it takes 50 min to Naples). Most will look for a ferry about 3;30 and because so many are taking those mid-afternoon jet boats, there will be a large line to get back down on the funicular. This means you need to get in line to go back down about 45 min before your return ferry.

So, lets assume you rush through Pompeii, get to Sorrento by 11:15, and than catch that 11:45 boat to Capri. This means you will have missed Sorrento other than to run from train station to ferry pier. You would get to Capri about 12:15, be up in Capri Town by perhaps 12:45. You would need to be back in line for the Funicular by around 2:45 in order to make a ferry around 3;30. This would give you about 2 hours in Capri, which would be enough time to grab a quick lunch, look at a few shops, and leave. You would not have any time for the Blue Grotto, AnaCapri, the wonderful chair lift from Anacapri up to the top of Mt Solara, etc. But, you could say you were there. There is usually a jet boat back to Naples around 3:30, but this is going to be packed with cruise folks, and many of these would have bought their tickets in the morning (when they went to Capri). With 15,000 cruise passengers in Naples, I would be concerned about getting on one of those later ferries. It does not usually make for a fun day when you have to spend a good part of the time looking at your watch, worrying if things will run on time, worrying if the funicular line on Capri will be too long, etc. And if you want to have a nice lunch at a cafe, you will need to allow an hour (it might be faster, but you can never count on fast service on busy days). Although it is normally a doable excursion, those 15,000+ cruise passengers are a real deterrent. Of course you could take the cruise ship's overpriced tour (they usually have a tour that does this itinerary) and at least you will not have to worry about the connections. But, its still a rushed day.

Hank

It does seem rushed, that is why I optioned for the ships excursion, because I don't think they leave port if you are not back. I am doing the Pompei, Positano and Capri one from the Carnival Splendor. I think we are due back one hour before departure.

God, I got tired just reading Hank's response. I dont think I want to go the "McDonald's route". I didn't see a tour from our ship that includes both Pompei and Capri, but I will keep looking for that to pop up. This is what created my delima. I wanted to see both. Sorrento was just a place to get lunch and change transportation from train to boat. Thanks for the advice.

Archived