Vung Tau

Flotsam & Jetsam

Crusing in Asia mid September on Sun Princess & we would appreciate advice on a ship excursion that is offerred. Excursion is a bus tour from Saigon to Vung Tau - our queries are of the following nature. Is it worthwhile as I believe the time on bus is lengthy - 2hrs each way??? They say the bus is air-conditioned but not what we are used to - is it still ameniable? Is the ultimate destination beautiful as described & when viewing the Villa Blanche is there sufficient time to see it properly. I gather there are no toilet facilites on the buses, so are the "comfort" stops truly comfortable???

Thank you to anyone who has already been on this tour who could enlighten us.

'Bye for now,

Crusing in Asia mid September on Sun Princess & we would appreciate advice on a ship excursion that is offerred. Excursion is a bus tour from Saigon to Vung Tau - our queries are of the following nature. Is it worthwhile as I believe the time on bus is lengthy - 2hrs each way??? They say the bus is air-conditioned but not what we are used to - is it still ameniable? Is the ultimate destination beautiful as described & when viewing the Villa Blanche is there sufficient time to see it properly. I gather there are no toilet facilites on the buses, so are the "comfort" stops truly comfortable???

'Bye for now,

We landed in Vung Tau on the Sapphire Princess and rather than travel to Saigon did a tour of Vung Tau which was worthwhile and interesting. However, if the Sun Princess docks in Saigon, do your exploring there. The Bin Tranh markets are worth exploring if you like shopping rather than Cholon which are basically local markets. Beware of the traffic. Remember just to walk steadily and do NOT run. The traffic will weave around you. Suggest you do a tour of the Mekong Delta if it is an option. We did one and it was great. It really depends if this is your first tour of Vietnam or a return visit.

To Montelco,

Many thanks for the info you have posted - you are right we are going to be berthed in Saigon but felt there was not enough on offer there. Neither of us are shoppers but enjoy the natural surrounds & wondered if the trip from Saigon would show us the countryside plus living by the sea we also love to visit the shoreline in other countries. As you have been there, did you visit Villa Blanche? Is it just a one room museum or are you free to explore the villa? Yes, its our first visit to Vietnam & I will explore the Mekong possibility. Also thanks for the traffic advice.

We've travelled twice on Sapphire Princess - L.A. to Sydney (30 days) & Vancouver to Beijing (21 days) & really loved her interior decor & so many areas to utilise without crowd frustration. Did you enjoy her or do you have another favourite??

Thanks again & look forward to hearing your further advice.

'Bye for now,

'Bye for now,

Vung Tau is a developing town and the coast line is beautiful from Villa Blanche , but you do not spend much time there, about an hour, if that. It is popular for wedding photos to be taken there because of the views. If you had docked there ,I would advise go there, but not since you are in Saigon. A trip on the Mekong involves a bus trip and the traffic has to be seen to be believed ,but it is interesting and if you prefer the natural environment, well worth the trip. It is a full day's trip, about an hour or so to get there( really depends on the traffic since the top speed is 60 km an hour which makes for a lengthy trip but you do see the country side).You off load to do a very small boat cruise on the Mekong to Unicorn Island and lunch there and a tour of the canals which are not man made. That was different on the small boats where you had to shift weight to go under the low bridges. Definitely a highlight for us.

Buses are variable; ours was good ,but some of the others that went to Saigon from Vung Tau when we were on the Princess were not as comfortable. Comfort stops are generally clean and the guides are aware of the need to stop. You definitely need the airconditioning. Tour guides we had were lovely and they provide you with chilled water. Other people who did the Chu Chi Tunnels found that enlightening.

The Princess was a lovely ship inside and agree there was plenty of room to move around. We have used the Star cruises and loved the Virgo which did the Straits of Malacca from Singapore. Liked the fact that everything was included in the price on the Virgo with no extra tipping required and the organisation was great.

The Vietnamese people are lovely. Be prepared to be swamped with offers to buy postcards and just smile and shake your head. If you like beaches ,we did a tour of Nha Trang which is a fair bit north of Saigon and the beaches were lovely with coconut thatched huts. Lovely seafood, snorkeling and foot massages on the beach. Have fun.

Thank you soooooooo much Montelco :) for your comprehensive reports on the different areas we could visit. All are still under consideration. You sound as though you greatly enjoyed your time there. Our ship is also berthing at Nha Trang & I thought we'd visit the beaches there, especially as you have now confirmed how lovely they are. The main one, I have chosen is Sukha, or something like that - looks delightful. Mekong sounds very intriguing also (how to do everything?!).

Glad you concur with Sapphire Princess but probably, like us, think the profile is a little like a block of flats. Fortunately, the interior where we are is user-friendly & elegant. We haven't tried Star Cruises yet, but there is still time!!!

Again many thanks for your thought-provoking comments.

'Bye for now,

Archived