Photographers--Thank You

Thank you very much, Photographers!!!!

I got my Canon S5 IS camera and love it. I even bought some Scandisk 4gig Ultra II cards, and I can tell a major difference from the regular Scandisk. The ultra II is much faster on transfers and even faster when taking a picture. One thing I want to do is get more Ultra IIs, but I think I would rather have the 1 or 2 gig. That way if I have a problem with one, then I would not have all of my pictures gone since they would not be on one big card.

Camera was a hit with my brother-in-law, since he wanted to steal the camera at the family July 4 event!!!!!!

NOW, I have got to play with the camera and take pictures in the Program mode........that will be challenging!!!!!!!!!!!

Novice Photographer

David

Congrats on the new camera, have fun with it. I agree, I use 2gb, cards it seems like a more manageable size, and I don't like to "put all of my eggs in one basket".

I picked up a 2gb, Lexar PREMUIM card at target a couple weeks ago it was on sale for $17.99(regular price $29.99), it comes with a free copy of image rescue, which can come in handy if you ever have an issue with losing your pictures, it will work with any card and any card reader. Check Newegg.com for memory cards, they have some good prices and super fast shipping!

MAC

Sandisk has also extended its rebate on Extreme III/IV cards through select retailers. I just picked up 2 CF Extreme III's and price after rebate is about $27 per 4gb card.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Sandisk has also extended its rebate on Extreme III/IV cards through select retailers. I just picked up 2 CF Extreme III's and price after rebate is about $27 per 4gb card.

Cheers

Chris in VA

I just got a dSLR and have been reading about the various SD cards. Where did you find that price?

I just got a dSLR and have been reading about the various SD cards. Where did you find that price?

Look at the bottom of the Sandisk rebate form for the approved vendors. I got the CF cards online from Beach Camera but Adorama, B&H and others are on the list. One thing to watch for is that Sandisk recently 'upgraded' a number of their products with faster speeds so look at the ratings. There is also a bit of a difference in SD vrs SDHC if your camera supports it. The rebate grows if you buy multiple cards. I dislike the rebate process but since I would have bought the cards for our upcoming trip it is a nice bonus.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Glad you love your S5. I've had the S2 for several years and love it as well. My BIL bought the S3 a couple of years ago after seeing mine. I haven't upgraded to the S3 or S5 yet, as the differences haven't been appreciable. I hope the next version of this model will have an 18x optical zoom, since the competitors are putting out larger zooms now.

The Canon S-series take super pictures, and the program settings are good. This year, I invested in the adapter and polarizing lens for my S2, and it made a tremendous difference in my photos from our Hawaii cruise last month. Enjoy your S5! Have a great cruise!

Glad you love your S5. I've had the S2 for several years and love it as well. My BIL bought the S3 a couple of years ago after seeing mine. I haven't upgraded to the S3 or S5 yet, as the differences haven't been appreciable. I hope the next version of this model will have an 18x optical zoom, since the competitors are putting out larger zooms now.

The Canon S-series take super pictures, and the program settings are good. This year, I invested in the adapter and polarizing lens for my S2, and it made a tremendous difference in my photos from our Hawaii cruise last month. Enjoy your S5! Have a great cruise!

Yes, I also purchased the adapter and polaring len with my Canon S5 camera but so far have not used them yet...I can not wait to use them and see how the pictures are with them also.

David:D

Thank you very much, Photographers!!!!

I got my Canon S5 IS camera and love it. I even bought some Scandisk 4gig Ultra II cards, and I can tell a major difference from the regular Scandisk. The ultra II is much faster on transfers and even faster when taking a picture. One thing I want to do is get more Ultra IIs, but I think I would rather have the 1 or 2 gig. That way if I have a problem with one, then I would not have all of my pictures gone since they would not be on one big card.

Camera was a hit with my brother-in-law, since he wanted to steal the camera at the family July 4 event!!!!!!

NOW, I have got to play with the camera and take pictures in the Program mode........that will be challenging!!!!!!!!!!!

Novice Photographer

David

I am interested in this camera or the panasonic one up from it. Not a great photographer but also going to Alaska in August. Interested in knowing how you go.

I am interested in this camera or the panasonic one up from it. Not a great photographer but also going to Alaska in August. Interested in knowing how you go.

The Canon S5 is a nice camera!! My father-in-law just got the Panasonic camera with the 18X zoom. From what I can see, that is a nice camera also but not really had time to really check it out. So far, my father-in-law has not had time to get into that much either but he was impressed on its features as well as me too.

He really got it for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

The reason I brought the Canon over the Panasonic is I am parcel to Canon since I got another Canon camera and has been pleased with it!!!

Hope that helps...:D

I definitely agree with the poster that was referring to card size. Imagine if one of the cards wasn't working or was lost.

It is best to use a 2 gigabyte card and one of the fast ones like the ultra II. I have another recommendation for you. Now, I'm not sure if you take as many photos as I do, but it works for me. I will take over 2000 pics on a 10 day cruise, because I take more than one photo of almost every important scene.

I take all of my pictures in the best format, large and fine, just in case I want to enlarge that shot. I bring along an 80 gigabyte photo bank. At the end of the day I transfer the pics on the card onto the photo bank and it stores each day (port) into a different folder. Now, I don't erase the pics from the cards at the end of the day as a just in case. That's me just liking to have backup.

I also bring 6 gigabytes in SD cards, because I had the cards prior to the photo bank. Also bring backup long life lithium batteries or whatever kind of batteries your camera uses. I use the Nikon DSLR D50 with a Tamron 18 to 250 mm telephoto lens.

Anyway, I thought this may help, if you have anyother questsions, please feel free to post. You may want to get a circular polarizer for your camera as well as it will enhance the blues and cut down on glare,among other things.

I definitely agree with the poster that was referring to card size. Imagine if one of the cards wasn't working or was lost.

It is best to use a 2 gigabyte card and one of the fast ones like the ultra II. I have another recommendation for you. Now, I'm not sure if you take as many photos as I do, but it works for me. I will take over 2000 pics on a 10 day cruise, because I take more than one photo of almost every important scene.

I take all of my pictures in the best format, large and fine, just in case I want to enlarge that shot. I bring along an 80 gigabyte photo bank. At the end of the day I transfer the pics on the card onto the photo bank and it stores each day (port) into a different folder. Now, I don't erase the pics from the cards at the end of the day as a just in case. That's me just liking to have backup.

I also bring 6 gigabytes in SD cards, because I had the cards prior to the photo bank. Also bring backup long life lithium batteries or whatever kind of batteries your camera uses. I use the Nikon DSLR D50 with a Tamron 18 to 250 mm telephoto lens.

Anyway, I thought this may help, if you have anyother questsions, please feel free to post. You may want to get a circular polarizer for your camera as well as it will enhance the blues and cut down on glare,among other things.

Excellent Point!!!

So far I have not got an backup device but planning on later on.

David

Archived