Packing with plastic

I pack my formal clothes in the dry cleaner bags. ANd will layer clothes in the suitcase with those bags inbetween layers. It helps the clothes move better and they dont arrive wrinkled. (I also take downey wrinkle release and spritz the clothes when I am unpacking and hanging stuff up. (I dont iron while on vacation for any reason.

We also buy the two gallon ziploc bags and use them for things like socks and underwear, swimsuits, anything that you can squish without worrying about the wrinkles. You then squish the air out and seal it, it takes up much less space and it protects your stuff if anything leaks, and if they do open your suitcase at the security check they aren't pawing through your stuff. We also put our toiletries, etc. makes everything easier to find. Have fun!

to expand on serene, i pack using dryer bags and layering. first goes a dress shirt then a bag, then another shirt then a bag, and on and on. then i fold in the sleeves and put in the suitcase. i do the same with dresses and then roll the stack of dresses. you can save some of the bags to wrap around souveniers for the trip home.

place the heaviest items closest the hinges or the bottom of the suitcase when it is upright. tuck socks and the sort into shoes. next pack items that you don't care if they wrinkle, ie swim suits, nightgowns, underwear. and finally, anything that can possible leak, put in a zip lock. i rarely have a problem with wrinkles.

No dumb questions. And yes, I start saving my dryer cleaner bags about a month before vacations. Some clothes I even leave on the hangers for quick unpacking.

Then when you pack to come home, leave the unused bags and hangers behind for extra suitcase room.

I also pack many of my clothes on wire hangers inside the dry cleaner bags. When we get to our cabin, we can quickly un pack without wrinkles. I thought at first, that the hangers would be bulky and take up too much room...but they don't.

Our drycleaner is really familar with us, we go there weekly, a week before the cruise I take in everything that needs to be done, (i actually budget this into our cruise) and have them put each piece of clothing in separate bags. I really didn't think this would keep them wrinkle free, but it does and its a great tip.

Here's another tip that my mom (aka my TA too!) gave me...I've used it and it works!

For items that you don't want wrinkled, place a dry cleaners bag inside the full length of the garment and then hang a bag on the outside. The inside bag help the impact and reduce wrinkling. I've done it with full-length formals in a suitcase and when I go to hang the dress, not a wrinkle on it!

I also use ZipLocs to store shampoos, shaving creams, anything that could potentially make a mess or explode onto our clothes!

Archived