Crystal Symphony#8207 Cruisers: How was the land portion of the cruise in Beijing?

MalibuCA

#8207 Cruisers: How was the land tour portion of the cruise in Beijing?

I posted this thread on the Crystal Board, but received no response. I am posting it here, too -- please respond if you can.

We are cruising in March and April (2009) on the Crystal Symphony from Hong Kong to Beijing, #9207. The last 4 days of our cruise (including debarkation day) are spent in Beijing OFF the ship. Crystal will be putting us up in a hotel with sightseeing tours included while we are in Beijing. I know that Crystal did the same thing in Beijing this year on cruise #8207. Please, all cruisers on #8207 respond!

I would like to know what you thought of the land tour portion in Beijing. How was the hotel? Most importantly, how were the sightseeing excursions? We prefer to sightsee with private guides rather than on large tour buses, but the fact that we are already paying for the ship's excursions makes them very appealing. We have taken some of Crystal's shore excursions in the past on other cruises, and we know that they do an excellent job. Having spoiled ourselves with private guides in other places, however, we are questioning whether we should still arrange private guides for Beijing. (We are using Beijing Service for private tours in Shanghai). Were you able to hear the guide at all times? Did you feel like you were being herded about from place to place? Was there a lot of "hurry up and wait" time involved or did everything run pretty smoothly? What was your overall opinion of the tours? Regarding evening activities, how did Crystal handle meals? Did they plan meals in the hotel or at other restaurants? Were there two seatings like on the ship? Was there any entertainment arranged in addition to dinner?

Any information you can provide regarding the land tour in Beijing, and anything else that you would like to share about the entire cruise, is most appreciated. Thanks!!!

Shelley;)

Archived