visa and tourist cards

aggiejeff

We are doing a 7 day cruise out of Colon in January. We are American and looking at the State Department website, it looks like we only need to buy the $5 tourist card at the airport and don't need a visa. Can anyone confirm?

I'm confused.....and new to international travel. Hubby and I are sailing R/T from LA to the Panama Canal in Sept. on the Island Princess. We plan to take a couple shore excursions while on the cruise.

While we have US Passports, I'm wondering if we also will need the guest cards being discussed? I don't recall getting any info from our TA about this. How is it determined whether one will need a guest card or Visa for a foreign country?

Normally while you are on a cruise you do not need any of the normal entry documents such as a tourist card or visa that you would need if you were staying in the country for a visit. Usually the only documentation needed is for the country you ultimately disembark.

The only visa needed is related to the Master Card;)! As long as you have your passports your good to go.

Bill hit the nail on the head: the preferred International document is Mastercard (or Visa)!

I believe the OP was coming into Panama to board the RCCL ship which is homeporting in Colon . . . different from just getting off the ship for a day's adventure.

Regards, Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Bill hit the nail on the head: the preferred International document is Mastercard (or Visa)!

I believe the OP was coming into Panama to board the RCCL ship which is homeporting in Colon . . . different from just getting off the ship for a day's adventure.

Regards, Richard

Richard--my wife is a green card US resident alien -- South African-- we will be one of the panama ports for 8 hours--will she need a visa???

Big Green

If you are on a ship that is stopping in Panama - you're getting off the ship, doing a tour with the ship, or doing something on your own, and then you're getting back on the ship and continuing your cruise - the ship takes care of all the immigration requirements: just enjoy!

If you are flying into Panama, to stay a while, or to board a cruise ship, then, like everyone entering the country you need to go through immigration and have a tourist card in hand. You buy the tourist cards either at the check in desk at the gate before you board the flight, or at a desk next to immigration when you land in Panama. (Best if you can to buy at the gate before you board.)

But as a tourist, disembarking for a few hours in Panama - the ship takes care of all the paperwork.

Hope that clarifies. Regards, Richard

Should you need further info you can check out the Panama immigration site: http://migracion.gob.pa/eng/servicio.php?cont=paisvisa There is a utility there that will let you check. The cruise line or the nearest Panama consulate should be able to assist you with the South African question.

What do United States' citizens arriving on a cruise ship, staying overnight in Panama City and departing by air in Panama City December 8, 2008 need to do for this type of visit to Panama? Are tourist cards available at the cruise port? Thanks.

What do United States' citizens arriving on a cruise ship, staying overnight in Panama City and departing by air in Panama City December 8, 2008 need to do for this type of visit to Panama? Are tourist cards available at the cruise port? Thanks.

Good question for the cruise line. My understanding is that you need a tourist card so I assume they will be selling them at the cruise port. Worst case, you'd need to buy one at the airport before leaving. Cruise line should have answer to this specific question.

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. I tried emailing the link you provided for further information but both times it returned as the message box too full. I guess whoever is handling things on the Panama end isn't too speedy at answering messages.

• 2 years later...

Hello Anyone,

I really want to go on this cruise. My sister-in-law has a U.S. Green Card and a passport from Lebanon. There is a cruise that stops in Colon, Panama. Can she get off the ship or not? I cannot find any websites with information. Can someone please help me so I can get this booked???

Thanks!!!

Archived