November weather and boarding time questions

cavcmy

We are on RCCL November 11-21. Being from Texas, I'm always hot and my husband is somewhat cold-natured. Can you tell me what kind of temperatures we should expect so I can pack accordingly?

Also, we have a 2 pm boarding time on LOS and I'm trying to figure out just how early we can check in to leave luggage so we can plan island tour that departs 1:45-2 pm. Or, is there any place near Aloha Tower where luggage can be stored? The ship doesn't sail until midnight so I would hate to miss out on this tour.

Thanks for all your help. We are so excited about visiting Hawaii and last night's Travel Channel programs on the islands only made us that more anxious to leave!

Suebee and Spleen: I love you guys! You are so terrific to take the time to answer everyone's questions. Thanks again.

I am blushing.... :)

Since Sept 11, people dont like baggage being 'left' somewhere anymore. You probably can however board earlier than 2pm....I would get to the ship at 12...most times they will allow passengers to board earlier than schedule as long as the old passengers have left.

Weather? Now that is a common question. The weather here is divided into wet and dry (not really hot and cold or seasons). The high temperatures in Honolulu do not vary greatly...by about 10 degrees all year (78-88ish). And the "wet" season means that you might get a torrent for a few minutes and then the sun comes out. In November, at least in my limited experience, is when the break occurs. Last year we went from bogus heat and humidity to cooler temps and nice trade winds in a day, right about in the middle of the month. In November, we are still in the mid-upper 80s so you will be hot and your husband will probaby be cold (ha ha). I am always hot and dont need jeans or a sweater at all except for the early am/late pm in January to February....but I see locals in Jeans now. Its all what youre used to.

Its rather subjective I am afraid. But you know how you feel in the mid 80's with a breeze.....so pack that way I guess.

Hi cavcmy

We are on the same cruise and you asked a question we also wanted the answer to.

We are coming over from England where it is already starting to get cold so it is nice to know it should be warm. Starting off in Florida we will eventually arrive in Honolulu 3 days earlier. Like you we are doing a round the Island trip but on the Wednesday. Thursday we are going to the Arizona and Missouri so we will check in late afternoon.

RCI sent us a letter yesterday telling us that due to ‘berthing difficulties’ the ship has changed the order of the ports of call but I think the details in it may be a mistake. The ‘new; details are exactly the same as when we booked in January (Lahaina first followed by Nawiliwili, Kailua Kona, and finally Hilo) . The RCI web site lists different details—do you know which is correct? I cannot get hold of RCI as they do not open today.

Subee/spleen whilst I am posting I would like to thank you for the information and time that you spend posting to these boards. I have been following your replies for months and between you have answered (almost!!) every question we had.

I have however one more to ask. We are staying at the Sheraton Waikiki and they have a restaurant on the top floor that is said to have nice views of Diamond Head and the Beach. Do you know what it is like and can you see the sunset from it. Also what time will sunset be on 9 November?

Lynda& Alan

Acmar - yes, our travel agent notified us one day last week via fax about the berthing conflicts for the Nov 11 itinerary. The revision we received is the same as now stated on the RCCL website - Thurs/Honolulu, Fri/Kailua Kona, Sat/Nawiliwili, Sun/Lahaina, Mon/Lahaina, Tues/Hilo... RCCL must have sent you wrong or incomplete letter. I've been able rearrange our shore excursions except for the Waimea Canyon tour thru RCCL.

Cavcmy

Thanks for that. Yes RCI have sent the wrong details on the letter (not for the first time), the itineraries on the last two RCI cruises have had last minute changes.

I'll try and get hold of them tomorrow. We have got four excursions through RCI that will need rearranging and one that we have booked direct with the tour company in Kauai.

Have you had to cancel the tours that you booked and arrange alternative dates yourself or did RCI do this for you?

Thanks

Alan

Some were booked directly with tour companies and I called to change dates with no problems. I booked the RCI tours myself -- online and they had to be deleted. Your credit card is credited the amount and then you start over adding them back -- you can't just change dates. The most annoying part of the whole thing is reorienting my brain to a new schedule!

We are staying at the Sheraton Waikiki and they have a restaurant on the top floor that is said to have nice views of Diamond Head and the Beach. Do you know what it is like and can you see the sunset from it. Also what time will sunset be on 9 November?

Lynda& Alan

From the US Navy Observatory information website:

"The following information is provided for Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii

(longitude W157.8, latitude N21.3):

Tuesday 9 November 2004 Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 6:16 a.m.

Sunrise 6:39 a.m.

Sun transit 12:15 p.m.

Sunset 5:51 p.m.

End civil twilight 6:15 p.m.

MOON

Moonset 3:28 p.m. on preceding day

Moonrise 3:50 a.m.

Moon transit 9:59 a.m.

Moonset 4:03 p.m.

Moonrise 4:48 a.m. on following day"

Now, getting back to the first question. I've talked about the

Hanohano Room (the restaurant on top of the Sheraton Waikiki - don't know if the Sheraton website has been updated fully) before - sunset will clearly be visible from up there. However,the format of the restaurant has changed recently and has become more nightclub oriented - I do not know if the atmosphere and the menu has been retained from before. You might want to try it and let us know how it was! Another romantic setting for dinner is the Bali by the Sea restaurant in the HHV - right on the beach. Also, as a more upscale option, La Mer in the Halekulani also offers dining right over the beach with a great view of the sunset and the sound of waves to entertain you. In the same location and as a cheaper option, House Without a Key would work as well.

Spleen

(edited multiple times to fix formatting problems - I hate tables!! *arggh*)

cavcmy

Thanks. There are three that I booked myself but two are pre cruise so are not affected. The third I have emailed to ask if the date can be changed. I was hoping that RCI would reschedule the trips I had booked with them over the Internet but from what you say it looks like we have to change these ourselves. You would think that they would at least make it easy and allow a change in date rather than have to cancel and then rebook. I know what you mean about reorienting the brain to a new schedule

Hope this is not going to be like last years Transatlantic, when, because of weather (allegedly) we were not certain which port we would be in next. The itinerary changed before we boarded, as we boarded, and I think it was twice or possibly three times whilst we were on board.

Alan

Thanks spleen

As always a mine of information. You posted so fast I was still working on the other reply and did not see yours come in.

If sunset is 5.51pm looks like we would not see sunset over dinner anyway.

I’ll have a think about the options and let you know. ‘Nightclub oriented’ was not exactly what we were after. We also have to be up early the next day as we are doing the Arizona/Missouri tour.

How far is the Bali by the Sea restaurant from the Sheraton?

Alan

The HHV (Hilton Hawaiian Village) is actually pretty close to the Sheraton but because of the way the roads are, it's a little far to get to the entrances of each other. I'd say walking at least 15 minutes if not a bit longer (you'll have to go through the majority of Fort DeRussy to get there).

Dinner time's very malleable - why not get a reservation at 5:30 pm?

And if closeness is an issue, the Halekulani is just down the road from you - less than a 5 minute walk to the lobby.

Spleen

Spleen

According to the websites, Bali by the Sea and La Mer opens at 6.00pm whilst House Without a Key starts at five. I’ve just looked at their menu and that looks ok.

We will have just come off a 4 night Western Caribbean cruise before we arrive in Honolulu, and on the Thursday are starting a 10 night cruise (both of which should have large quantities of reasonable rather than gourmet food). Rather than a fine dinning experience, all we are after is somewhere that will not disappoint and has nice views, preferably of your famed sunset. House without a Key has Hawaiian entertainment which is a bonus. As House Without a Key starts at 5.00pm, is close to the Sheraton, and has your approval I am sure it will be the right choice.

The website says that reservations are not required – do you know if is that correct? Also attire is ‘Evening Resort Attire’. As ‘Brits’ our definition is probably different than yours so can you please let me know what Hawaiian Evening Resort Attire is.

Thanks

Alan

Evening resort attire in Hawaii means a collared shirt and nice shorts/slacks for the gentleman. For the lady, practically anything as long as it's not a T-shirt or a swim suit. :)

I'm almost positive that HWAK doesn't take reservations. It's essentially a bar with the bonus of some good food so you should be fine. If you're worried, call them after you arrive in Hawaii. Make sure that you arrive early enough to stake out a good table/seat - HWAK is popular amongst tourists/locals alike and it can get pretty crowded at times, especially at sunset.

Spleen

Cavcmy

Well it took over 24 hours for RCI in London to check out and admit that the wrong letter had been sent out. At first they insisted that it was correct but as I would not go away they finally said they would check it out with Miami.

Today I had a phone call and email apologising. The email states that they will change all of my trips but to be patient whilst they do it. Don’t know what takes the time as you can change it on the Internet in a few minutes. But hey what’s the point of getting stressed-- it’s a holiday.

Like you I noticed that the price had come down substantially and that better cabins were available for less money. In England once we book we have to stick with our original choice of both booking and T/A which is why I often book though a USA agent. Here price reductions or upgrades and not normally honoured once you have booked. When I first contacted RCI they said that I had to go through the TA. The TA of course got nowhere, except to say that they would upgrade me for another $720!!. In the end I did get somebody to speak with and we agreed on an upgrade plus a refund.

Whist I am pleased with the agreement that we came to and the stateroom that we now have, it annoying that my TA earns commission and yet is so totally ineffective when asked to do something. I will not be using the same one again.

The Kauai trip was changed without a problem so everything’s back on course.

Have you seen the postings on the meet and mingle board? There are a few other cruisers who have posted but not enough for a meet and mingle. As soon as I have a bit more time I have to put a post on but this week is very busy at work and the hours are longer than normal so I am not getting much time of my own.

Spleen—what can I say but thanks. The HWAK looks right for our needs that day, but La Mer still beckons. I’ll let you know where we eventually end up. At least we should not be under or overdressed. Lynda is looking forward to drinking her first mai tai as the sun goes down and wants to know if it’s in your power to make sure it is a nice evening with no clouds getting in the way. Thanks again

Alan

Spleen

Having looked at the web sites and opinions on the net, we have now decided to try the Bali by the Sea. (You may find this hard to believe but this decision will only change if they do not have a table available).

The time difference makes it difficult to telephone from the UK so I have been trying without success, to find an email address.

Do you know if they have an email address or do they only accept phone reservations, and if it has to be by phone do you know what would be the best time to ring? During the restaurant opening times I am either travelling to or at work and so are not able contact them by phone during these hours.

We thought we would go early and watch the sunset from the tropics bar and then have dinner. The walk there and back will give me some of the exercise I should be taking!!

Some of the reviews also say to ensure that a sea view table is requested, are these difficult to get and if none are available what is the alternative like?

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

Don't know if they have an email address for reservations itself - took another look at the website and it doesn't say.

I can call and make the reservations for you if you want - give me your last name, where you're staying (I'm assuming the Sheraton, right?), and what day and time you want the reservation for. I'll ask for a sea view table.

Spleen

PS: oh, and also how many people in your party - I'm assuming 2? Is there a special occasion that you want me to tell them that you're celebrating?

Spleen

Thanks for the offer. However I thought that it would not be right to call on your generosity unless I had first made some sort of effort to contact the restaurant myself.

At about 6.30 this morning (UK time) I managed to get access to a phone and spoke to them.

I now have a sea view table for two at 7:30. So weather permitting we will watch the sun go down from the bar and then go on to dinner.

Can’t wait.

Thanks again

Alan

PS do you think there is any advantage of pre-booking a shuttle from the airport to the hotel or is it easy enough to pick one up at the airport-bearing in mind that we do not land until 11.45 pm.

I would pre-book a shuttle....if your plane is delayed for any reason, you will be comforted to know the shuttle company will keep an eye on it and be there when you need them.

Just My Opinion, but I would rather have it all settled than trying to figure it out at midnight. Gosh, midnight here is what, noonish for you? I have travelled that many time zones before and landed in Boston at 11pm and was so happy that the rental car and shuttle were ready for me!

Susan

:) :) Suebee/spleen

After trying to book a shuttle I finally confirmed the arrangements tonight. Only two companies out of about six replied to the emails that I sent to them.

We leave in 12 hours for Florida and should be in Hawaii in seven days and 11 hours (not that we are counting).:)

Thanks for all your help and I will let you know how it went when we get back.:)

Spleen, if your passing the HHV at around 6 pm on the 9th and you hear two people with English accents watching the sun go down, (hopefully) please stop and let us buy you a drink.

:) Alan

Archived