What are your thoughts on the new Celebrity dress code

Wow, Horselady-I don't get it? Why do you have to have the last word in, and make sure you prove your point? Do you enjoy intimidating or picking on people? I have to say, your tone is really out of line and in my opinion, unfair. You've made your point, why not find another cruisecritic to harass? Or better yet-don't. Change the subject- Jeez...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but your hostility, argumentative approach and tone jumps out as "in your face". Give it a rest-

I'm a younger generation, and certainly wouldn't mind a washer / dryer to at least wash out my swim suits. Having used the Celebrity dry cleaning and laundry, I can attest to doing a better job at laundry myself. I don't think ParrotMom said in her post that she was planning on camping out in the laundry mat, so why are you making insults?

Good god, is everybody in a crabby mood tonight or what? Do you not see that smiley face and the "sorry I couldn't resist" comment, and do you not know that when someone does that it means the comment was made tongue in cheek?

Try to read someone's comments carefully before you jump down someone's throat. There was no insult, I was being helpful. What I was saying is that there are alternative ways to handle the laundry situation if a ship has no laundry.

HEY! Who said anything about how you dress, whether you take pride in this or that, or who you're trying to impress (or not impress)? I sure didn't.

I was just responding to the comment by Mega...not even by you....who said they didn't see anything wrong with jeans. Now if you'll read my response carefully you will see that I mentioned a lot of other things on a cruise which are important to me, certainly not what anybody's wearing.here's the quote ---> "Personally, I could deal with a guy in nice jeans and a blazer at dinner. The conversation, the ship, the cuisine, and the fun is more important to me than what anybody's wearning. <--- Sheesh. Does that sound bad to you? And you tell me I should go to a fancier cruiseline like Cunard? Please read what I said again. I was simply explaining why some people (not me for goodness sakes...read what I said) are so anti-jeans

Hi there Parrot Mom. Hope you and Parrot Pop are doing well. I got blasted by folks who go crazy when I say I love having a laundry room on board. We do before and after and I only take one bag each for everything so I need that laundry room the first day! Besides we have a great time talking to everyone about the pre cruise activities -- make friends for the whole trip. Let's declare peace on the subject because the laundry room fans and the anti-laundry room folks don't seem to have much ability to understand each other. Parrot Mom you looked lovely on the TA and I for one voted you the most likely to have a parrot on display! Now I leave on Sat. for Queen Mary 2 so we will see if I can go with the "more formal" look. (Don't worry will be the exact same look as on Celebrity! used the same packing list;)) My hubby liked not wearing a suit every night even though he looks great when he is dressed up.

Hi there Parrot Mom. Hope you and Parrot Pop are doing well. I got blasted by folks who go crazy when I say I love having a laundry room on board. We do before and after and I only take one bag each for everything so I need that laundry room the first day! Besides we have a great time talking to everyone about the pre cruise activities -- make friends for the whole trip. Let's declare peace on the subject because the laundry room fans and the anti-laundry room folks don't seem to have much ability to understand each other. Parrot Mom you looked lovely on the TA and I for one voted you the most likely to have a parrot on display! Now I leave on Sat. for Queen Mary 2 so we will see if I can go with the "more formal" look. (Don't worry will be the exact same look as on Celebrity! used the same packing list;)) My hubby liked not wearing a suit every night even though he looks great when he is dressed up.

Actually I did wear gowns and black cocktail pants on the dressy nights..I just don't own a ball gown..lol. Just have never learned to pack light..then again plus sizes are a bit bigger in material..Thank you Bowie MeMe for the compliment. I can't place your face but you must be in the CC picture... Merman I do know and have adopted. Several woman commented to Parrot Pop on his retro-floral tires and black shirts. Oh yes. I can't go on a cruise without my parrot shirts or the famous parrot bag..and I hope you noticed our Constellation Parrot shirts with our names on it.. Many cruisers got a kick out of it...and the brunch staff thought it was hysterical.. Frankly, I can't see myself ironing on a cruise ship but it would be nice to know that I could take half the amount of clothes, especially capri pants.. I know I had at least 8 pairs...with at least two jerseys or shirt to match each one.. TWO WEEK CRUISES and pre-cruises..for me present a problem. We carry two mesh bags one for dark and one for light..and they are filled as we cruise along..they go into one suitcase and each mesh bag usually in the end holds liquor and/or any souveniers. As my driver, Aurielo, in Barcelona says.... he has never met cruisers with so much luggage..lol Looking forward to my next cruise... Hope you have a wonderful time Bowie MeMe.. Hey. actually can I take one of my birds as a pet therapy bird!!! (that;s an in joke to cruisers on the t/a of the Connie

What happened to class? Travel used to be an 'event', now it's more like taking a city bus.

When I was a child it was such a big thing to go to the airport, get dressed up for the plane, etc. Nowadays it's like nobody cares what they look like then they complain when people judge them for how they look. Well, the reality is that people are judged by how they look whether you like it or not. And I still think people are better mannered when they dress well. I hate even going to the Outback and seeing men with shorts and caps on, or 40 something woman with sloppy jeans and baring a midriff when they have a jelly roll middle.

This is my opinion and I stand by it..Menina

What happened to class? Travel used to be an 'event', now it's more like taking a city bus.

When I was a child it was such a big thing to go to the airport, get dressed up for the plane, etc. Nowadays it's like nobody cares what they look like then they complain when people judge them for how they look. Well, the reality is that people are judged by how they look whether you like it or not. And I still think people are better mannered when they dress well. I hate even going to the Outback and seeing men with shorts and caps on, or 40 something woman with sloppy jeans and baring a midriff when they have a jelly roll middle.

This is my opinion and I stand by it..Menina

What does class have to do with how you are dressed? I've seen plenty of classless people dressed in tuxes and gowns. Class is how you act, not dress. And secondly...Outback? Seriously, and you're surprised about how people dress? maybe pick a classier restaurant!

A proud member of the Princess Self-Serve Laundry Room :)

Exactly. I would look at those people and say "Wow, what a bunch of classless people who are merely dressed up". The people you are referring to are the minority..not the majority.

Somehow I thought you'd get defensive.

Sorry but my opinion is that if you dress better, you act better. And yes, my opinion is also that if you are dressed in tshirt, shorts,and cap to go to the outback you look sloppy. I am not surprised how they dress. I think its a travesty that people don't care how they look anymore.

What does class have to do with how you are dressed? I've seen plenty of classless people dressed in tuxes and gowns. Class is how you act, not dress. And secondly...Outback? Seriously, and you're surprised about how people dress? maybe pick a classier restaurant!

A proud member of the Princess Self-Serve Laundry Room :)

Exactly. I would look at those people and say "Wow, what a bunch of classless people who are merely dressed up". The people you are referring to are the minority..not the majority.

Sorry but my opinion is that if you dress better, you act better. And yes, my opinion is also that if you are dressed in tshirt, shorts,and cap to go to the outback you look sloppy. I am not surprised how they dress. I think its a travesty that people don't care how they look anymore.

Has anybody ever heard the quote...."Never judge a book buy its cover"!! How judgementl you all are...

I'm certainly not defensive, I have nothing to be defensive about, I dress extremely well, never dress casually for formal night if I'm going to eat in the dining room. Merely pointing out that what you wear does not give you class and as I said earlier, outback? seriously.

Whether you like it or not, the world is getting less formal. New cruise lines don't even have a formal night, mainstream lines are dropping the amount of formal nights or dropping them altogether and newer ships are adding more casual dining alternatives.

I used to do laundry, but now that we have a few more discretionary dollars, we built in sending out laundry into the cost of the trip. I do however, do my "delicates" in the bathroom sink. The best deal for laundry is the HAL laundry bag. It is all you can fit in the bag for X dollars. I don't remember if it was $12 or $15. Capris and shirts came back ironed and on hangers. Everything else was folded. At this point in my life, I am not spending part of my vacation in the laundry room (except

to give a garment a quick press).

That said, we have always traveled for up to three weeks with two carryons and two large checked bags. The only exception was a 35 day TA where we added an additional checked bag. My husband brings his tuxedo and I have no trouble packing at least four formal outfits. I keep shoes to a minimum. Almost no one wears ball gowns except on the Queens. The luggage limitation is only an excuse for people who do not care to dress up not to do so.

I used to do laundry, but now that we have a few more discretionary dollars, we built in sending out laundry into the cost of the trip. I do however, do my "delicates" in the bathroom sink. The best deal for laundry is the HAL laundry bag. It is all you can fit in the bag for X dollars. I don't remember if it was $12 or $15. Capris and shirts came back ironed and on hangers. Everything else was folded. At this point in my life, I am not spending part of my vacation in the laundry room (except

That said, we have always traveled for up to three weeks with two carryons and two large checked bags. The only exception was a 35 day TA where we added an additional checked bag. My husband brings his tuxedo and I have no trouble packing at least four formal outfits. I keep shoes to a minimum. Almost no one wears ball gowns except on the Queens. The luggage limitation is only an excuse for people who do not care to dress up not to do so.

JUST ASKING!! What is considered formal wear for women..is it a mother of the bride dress, something that looks like it's been embroidered or sequined to death, an all black outfit accessorized with jewelry (pearls, special necklaces, diamonds)...dressy long skirts, dressy crepe pants...velvet, crepe, taffeta, silk... or as a dear lady we met on the Galaxy (Barbara) an outfit so wild from the bazaars of Turkey and Greece that would make your head spin..

I'm actually very lucky on the laundry front, my DH always does laundry on a ship and he's an early bird so it gives him something to do, I just sneak my stuff in with his. We always do a lot of land travelling in conjunction with our cruises so being able to handle my own luggage is imperative, on and off trains and also inter-european airlines where the weight restrictions are 20K. Also, who wants to be starting your trip at maximum luggage weight, no room for shopping :) DH takes a jacket now rather than his tux, it's just a waste of space when there's other more practical items to be packing.

JUST ASKING!! What is considered formal wear for women..is it a mother of the bride dress, something that looks like it's been embroidered or sequined to death, an all black outfit accessorized with jewelry (pearls, special necklaces, diamonds)...dressy long skirts, dressy crepe pants...velvet, crepe, taffeta, silk... or as a dear lady we met on the Galaxy (Barbara) an outfit so wild from the bazaars of Turkey and Greece that would make your head spin..

All of the above. I've been on 17 ocean cruises and I've see it all except the tiaras and full ball gowns that I've heard some wear on the Queens

I'm actually very lucky on the laundry front, my DH always does laundry on a ship and he's an early bird so it gives him something to do, I just sneak my stuff in with his. We always do a lot of land travelling in conjunction with our cruises so being able to handle my own luggage is imperative, on and off trains and also inter-european airlines where the weight restrictions are 20K. Also, who wants to be starting your trip at maximum luggage weight, no room for shopping :) DH takes a jacket now rather than his tux, it's just a waste of space when there's other more practical items to be packing.

Thank you Palmetto Lady--now...how about men who refuse to wear a tux or take a suit.. dark black jacket and black pants (he wore a black shirt and a wild, wild floral tie one night getting compliments on the tie from ladies) and a light jacket jacket and dark pants..or is the dark suit and tux de riguer?

It is pretty funny. My husband complains if I tell him he has to wear a tie to an event. If I tell him it is black tie and he can wear his tuxedo, there is nary a peep out if him.

In fact, our country club New Years Eve party has always been Black Tie Optional. This year, because of some complaints, the committee decided to make it "Jacket & Tie" required. My husband complained saying what next -"Jacket & shorts" (We live in the South). The Chairman of the committee said that if my DH will wear a tuxedo, he will wear his. I think we have talked at least one other man to wear his tuxedo (if he can wear his cowboy boots - I have no problem with that). So we are trying to spread the word and start a mini-rebelion.

I wish men realized how great they look in tuxedos. Even if they are short, fat and bald, they look wonderful. I can understand that years ago tuxedos were heavy and the shirts were stiff. Now they are made with a troopical weight fabric. The shirts are like regular white shirts with a few pleats down the front. What is the problem?

ParrottMom

To answer your direct question - Obviously a tuxedo and/or a dark suit is the preferred option. Neverthe less, if someone wants to wear a navy blazer, nice slacks, shirt and tie, I don't think that anyone really cares. My eyebrows did go up a bit on a previous cruise. One man, a Franch speaking European wore a brown leather jacket with a colored shirt and tie. It wasn't even a blazer, but looked like an outdoor jacket. The women in the party of four wore sequired dresses. I don't remember what the other man wore.

There is no doubt that all men, short, fat, thin or tall..look handsome in a black tux.Ive even seen little boys). reminds me of Cary Grant (yes, I'm that old) and Fred Astaire..lol but after 53 years of marriage and more than 23 years of wearing a tux (willingly at the beginning) it's like "banging your head against the wall"...trying now... Personally, I think it's because of the white shirts and the tiny holes (he has arthritic fingers) for the studs and the cuff links.. We will keep the tux for "formal wear" weddings.. As a matter of fact he was so adamant about not wearing one..that I gave a present to a cruiser of his cumberbunds and braces..really..lol

Ummmm...... apparently it is appropriate on casual nights whether you think so or not, because Celebrity has deemed them appropriate, and it is their dining venue and they can make the rules.

You may have a different opinion of what is appropriate but not everyone will agree, but does that make them the lowest common denominator?

Styles change this is nothing new, it has been happening since the beginning of time. In this century denim is considered appropriate casual wear, and dining venues everywhere are taking notice, and staying in touch with today's styles. Every generation has to defend their style against the older generation, it's just the way it is. I am sure that when corsets went out of fashion that many of the older generation were appalled at the idea, when dresses were shortened to show a ladies bare legs, that was most likely frowned upon as well. Just because the styles of today don't fit what was appropriate 20 years ago doesn't make them wrong or disrespectful.

Of course there will be those that dress sloppy for an occasion that calls for better, but again this is not a new thing. I don't think that those dressing in sloppy attire have a clue that it would bother others, and I highly doubt that they are dressed that way to offend, they are just not all that concerned with their appearance.

And remember we are talking about casual nights here not formal nights.

Just my 2 cents

MAC

I am in my 30's and still do not think it is acceptable to wear denim any night in the dining room. I would not let my 10 yr old wear it either. I have seen some beautiful denim outfits that are relatively dressy, but still not elegant enough. I don't think it should be the "sloppy casual" but the "smart casual" dress code.

I just returned from Alaska aboard the Westerdam. I have seen a dramatic change in formal wear and people's own idea of what they can get by as formal wear in the past 3 years. It used to be on formal night, all men wore suits and ties, the ladies wore gowns. It was a stunning sight to see everyone look so nice. Not to take away from those who looked so nice and were standing in line for photos. I even saw a very handsome man wearing a tux, he was goooood looooking!!!!!!

I also wear jeans/capris/ on a daily basis, when I go cruising, I choose to pack my nicest clothes, on formal night, I am going to be dressed up. I found on my last cruise to the carribean, that people were looking at me as if I was the one who didn't understand the word "formal" when I went to dinner dressed up and all sparkly on formal night.

I consider this to be part of the 'dumbing down of America', don't give in, if you like to dress up, then do so and have a great time!

Great points made above.

I think the dumbing down of America has a lot to do with laziness and apathy. I will dress up, even if it makes me carry more luggage, takes longer to get ready, causes me to wear different undergarments, lose weight, change my hair, etc.

I will dress up because I want to and if there is a guy in shorts and t-shirt again I will stare the whole time.

Has anybody ever heard the quote...."Never judge a book buy its cover"!! How judgementl you all are...

LOL. Yes, I learned that lesson. When I met my husband, I said to myself OMG. He blew dried his hair, used hair spray, wore a fanny pack, and a lot of jewlery. After we started talking, I said wow! He is really intelligent. He has a Ph.D. in chemistry. After a while I told him the jewlery had to go; he looked like a p.i.m.p and the fanny pack had to go too. A fews weeks ago I bought him a Hugo Boss suit. He wants to wear it to dinner every night. I pretty much do all the shopping now.

LOL. Yes, I learned that lesson. When I met my husband, I said to myself OMG. He blew dried his hair, used hair spray, wore a fanny pack, and a lot of jewlery. After we started talking, I said wow! He is really intelligent. He has a Ph.D. in chemistry. After a while I told him the jewlery had to go; he looked like a p.i.m.p and the fanny pack had to go too. A fews weeks ago I bought him a Hugo Boss suit. He wants to wear it to dinner every night. I pretty much do all the shopping now.

When I met Parrot Pop 55 years ago he was absolutely color blind.. and I had to go shopping with him. He was and still is unable to distinguish colors like purple...and don't tell anybody.. sometimes the traffic lights.. For many years he went shopping for me at one of the outlet stores in Boston and he'd have the ladies help him pick out colors.. Color blindness runs in the family...and his nephew is color blind too. Going shopping with him and he is a shoppaholic..is sometimes a challenge..lol

We cruise all the time, and we travel almost exclusively overseas.
A cruise ship overseas. How unique. All my cruises, with the exception of Gatun Lake during the Panama Canal crossing were overseas also. However, I have taken a couple of excursions that were underseas. One on an Atlantis submarine and another called snuba.

Here is a picture from the sub ...

viewfromAtlantissub.jpg

And here is a picture from the snuba excursion ...

Snuba.jpg

I'm curious. Many cruisers are "relaxing" the dress codes and many cruise lines seem to be following as well.

Yet, I look at the new Solstice Grand Dining Room pictures .........and there it is..again: A dining room with cHandeliers, wine waterfall & a hollywood glitz thing going on?

Jeans seem so incongruous in this overly formal setting; as would a Tux & Gown in my local Country Buffet.

I wonder if the cruise lines decorated their Main Dining venues in a more subdued, classy & elegant style, with less overtly formal opulence, that perhaps the wider choice of clothing styles would clash less with the ambience the cruise lines still seem determined to create?

Martha

Archived