Trans Atlantic on Orchestra Dec 2008

lc_sail_away

We are booked (cabin 9120) on the Orchestra sailing from Genoa to Fort Lauderdale on Dec 16. I was wondering what it is like crossing the Atlanic at this time of the year. Also if anyone has been in this cabin or nearby - it's hard to tell from the deckplans or photos , if you look straight out to sea or if you look at the lifeboats.

Would also like some help on tipping - we are from Australia and don't tip (except for exceptional service and that's at your discretion) as we are staying in the states for a week or so after the cruise.

Crossed on the Opera which is smaller in December a few years ago. My friend and I were worried about the crossing being really rough. We expected the first week to be really cold and the next not much better and only expeceted the weather to get really good when we reached grenada or close to it. We were also worried about bad weather affecting our flights to Genova but it was Edinburgh we were worried about , so booke our connecting flight to London the day before, just in case the runway was icy. Another concern was that we might get bored on the 5 day crossing

Well we got it all wrong, snow was a problem but that was when we reached MIlan. We got in ok but the next flight from Amerstam due in to Milan was 2 hours late. Unfortunately the passengers on our flight and the Amsterdam one were on the same coach transfer, so we had a bit of a wait and it ended up being dark for most of the (.5 hour coach journey south) It also meant we didn't get to the ship until about 6pm.

As for the rough seas, we did get that but only the first night in the med going from Genova to Valencia. The actual crosing the seas were as flat as a millpond. By the time we reached Spain the temperatures were in the high 60s, &0s at madeira and within a day or so, sunshine and in the 80s - which was great except that I'd packed all the wrong clothes. I ended up having to wear my 6 days of Caribbean clothes for most of the voyage and had to use the ship's laundry service a fair bit. Still it was a nice problem to have,

As for the boredom - simply didn't happen. we probaly found this one of the most enjoyable parts. Spent hours sitting on our balcony, just enjoying the stillness and sunshine. Never saw another ship the whole time. We also filled our day with italian classes, quiz tournaments, spa treatmenst, and just kicking back and relaxing. There was always plenty to do if you wanted to do it and plenty places where you could have peace and quiet if that's what you wanted.

I've no idea if we were just really lucky with the weather and sea conditions we got or whether that is typical. the only other crossing I've done was the opposite way round and that was in April and we had only a few really good sea days (bay of Biscay and English Channel strangely enough) with the rest being a bit choppy (Atlantic) and rough to dire (Th Caribbean)

Hope you have a fantastic time and i bet you cant wait to go. You are not going to be on the ship at New year by any chance in Funchal? if you are, you are in for a truly remarkable experience

thanks for that info - I hope we have as good weather as you did. We have Christmas whilst crossing the Atlantic and then New Year on board at San Juan. Yes - we are really looking foreward to it. The only other cruise we have done is on the Sapphire Princess to New Zealand this last Feb but hope to become regulars.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey..... Ic Sail away

We too are taking this trip!!!

Never cruised before in my life so going for broke on our maiden voyage!!

Just not sure what to pack....... winter woolies, cotton coolers, my baggage allowance is gonna be huge...PLEASE!!!!!:D

Any hints or advise?

Whatever the weather, it has to be better than the summer we are having here in the UK, the weather has been totally awful. I can't wait for 16 Dec to get on the ship, if it's as good as our Xmas Costa Cruise last year around the Arabian Gulf, i'll be really happy!

Davina

Hey..... Ic Sail away

Just not sure what to pack....... winter woolies, cotton coolers, my baggage allowance is gonna be huge...PLEASE!!!!!:D

Any hints or advise?

You'll need all of the above. I'm presuming you'll be leaving from Genoa, so expect it to be cold, could even be snowing. It was when we left on 27th December a few years ago. As you head west through the med and past the canaries, it should gradually get warmer. Each day on the crossing should bring more heat and sunshine until you reach the caribbean. Go for layers rather than really heavy woollens as it's not going to be cold on the ship (well except for when they sometimes set the air con too low!)

Hey..... Ic Sail away

Any hints or advise?

Hi Binklebum(???)

Yes, we are really looking forward to Dec too as we are spending a few days in Italy before picking up the cruise. We have lists of things to take but will have to cull it and do what others have suggested and wear layers. We will leave Australia in 30 degree (centrigrade) temperatures so are hoping that the weather will not be toooo much of a shock to us.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for the hints on taking plenty of stuff to layer...I think thats gonna be the best bet!!!

Oh.....

.....BTW I've told my hubby now.... he had no idea that I'd booked the trip!!!;)

He's just had a *~SpecialBirthday~* this weekend and I'd kept the secret of the cruise as a surprise. Not sure if he's gob-smacked about the cruise or that I have managed to keep the secret since January!!!!;) ;)

I've checked out our baggage allowance and we're allowed 23kg plus 8kg hand baggage.

I think if we wear our heaviest clothes to travel in at least that will help!! Ha! Ha!

Gettin all excited now......

Binklebum :0))

Thanx for the hints on taking plenty of stuff to layer...I think thats gonna be the best bet!!!

Oh.....

.....BTW I've told my hubby now.... he had no idea that I'd booked the trip!!!;)

He's just had a *~SpecialBirthday~* this weekend and I'd kept the secret of the cruise as a surprise. Not sure if he's gob-smacked about the cruise or that I have managed to keep the secret since January!!!!;) ;)

I've checked out our baggage allowance and we're allowed 23kg plus 8kg hand baggage.

I think if we wear our heaviest clothes to travel in at least that will help!! Ha! Ha!

Gettin all excited now......

Binklebum :0))

That's a pity about your luggage allowance, sometinmes when you are flying back fro the US they let you ahve 2 cases each or sometimes MSC uses BA and they have no weight allowance on the cabin bag (as long as it is the correct measurements and you cn carry it - you can have it - I've quite often managed about 15 kg in that and another 10 in my handbag!)

The heaviest clothes for the way back might be a wee bit of a problem as i presume you are flying home from Miami or fort lauderdale so you on a lte afternoon flight - so are going to be a tad warm. It might be worth going online with the airline you are flying home with to see how much extra they'd charge for one extra bag if you book online in advance - sometimes its not that bad and worth it for the longer voyages when you need such a variety of clothes.

Hi Binklebum,

I can't believe that you could keep such a big secret for so long. I'm sure I couldn't. I hope your husband was suitably impressed wit his present! Just a bit more on the luggage front - I have just bought a couple of space bags that are designed for travelling. You roll them to get the air out and I'm hoping this will give us a bit more room as our allowance is only 20kg. Don't know how it will affect the weight - I'll have to have a dummy run. Only 12 weeks to go as we are leaving OZ on Dec 10.

That's a pity about your luggage allowance, sometinmes when you are flying back fro the US they let you ahve 2 cases each or sometimes MSC uses BA and they have no weight allowance on the cabin bag (as long as it is the correct measurements and you cn carry it - you can have it - I've quite often managed about 15 kg in that and another 10 in my handbag!)

Hey AmoMondo...

I checked this out with our travel agent and apparently you are dead right... WE can pack up to 23kg into our hand baggage so long as it complies with the correct measurements it can be carried on. So that makes quite a difference....Hooray!!!!!!:D

Ic_sail_away...

Yes Mr Binklebum was suitably delighted & surprised, no less, with his surprise trip.

I can tell you it was extremely difficult to keep the secret, especially as I was sooo....excited!!!

Looks like you are counting the days too....!!!!!;)

Its gonna be great!!!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Why Hello Dahhlings,

My name is Bucklewheat Bim for all of you who dont already know me. I have been on many a cruise in my lifetime, 2 to be exact. I have graced the Celebrity Zenith, and the Crown Princess with my presence, and maybe if you're lucky enough, you will see my beautiful face on my next voyage. You may have seen me Summer o6 titled as Miss Margaritaville in Grand Turk, why what a lovely experience. I suggest you try out but i dont believe you will get too far if your competing with the best... ahem, me. Well enough talk about that, I am looking to travel the MSC lines perhaps in 2009, any suggestions on which ship has the best suites?

I am looking for first class service and excellent food which can taste just as good as my fine tea i bring along.you can come for tea, only if you're a beautiful person. I have my hourly updates on camera, I like to film my teatimes with guests, lovely room tunes, and a wave that is exeptionally royal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Well for now, Miss Bucklewheat Bim must head off for Tea and Cake, grand celebration in the courtyard.

Tata!! :p

Bucklewheat Bim, And family.

Bucklewheat Bam

Bucklewheat Bo.

Archived