Confusion on Beaches in Nassau

Nutnhoney

I have been reading this board for a few months now (great board, by the way :D ) and just seem to get more confused with every post I read. . . so here's my question . . . We will be taking our first cruise (3 days) to Nassau in early December, followed by a trip to Disney World, (so we want to keep expenses down.) We have three children (ages 12, 8, and 6) and they have never swam in an ocean. Therefore, we are looking for something to do for a day in which they can try snorkeling, swimming, and other beach activities (basically looking to just hang out on a beautuiful beach, but do not want the kids to be bored.) We have heard all about Atlantis and are not sure we want to spend the $$. I have heard pro's and con's about Blue Lagoon, Cabbage Beach, Paradise Island, etc. In your opinion, what do you suggest for this family of five with the above criteria ????

I don't know if this link will carry over, but go to cc destinations-E.Caribbean-Nassau, they make some suggestions about beaches there.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=3

Cable Bearch seems to be the most popular area (non-Paradise I.) and can be gotten to using the jittny van services for a $1 on Bay St. a block from the pier. The Wyndham Hotel there reportedly offers free use of their facilities (pool whatnot).

Hope this helps.

P.S. The beach got its name because the first transatlantic telephone cable passed through the beach on its way to points east...

Hi again! o.k. I've done my homework. I seem to like what I see and hear about Cable Beach. Have you ever been there? I feel a little funny about crashing the Radisson or Wyndham to use their pool and beaches. From what I read, they welcome cruise passengers. Has anyone ever had any trouble?

My husband and I have been to Nassau the last two years; the first year we spent $150.00 plus tax for a room at the Comfort Suites next to Atlantis. We never went into room, we check in and check out at same time. Were given braclets that allowed full privledges at Atlantis...towels and everything! The shore excursion from the ship would have been about 50 each so we only spent another 60 or so...and it was so worth it. We played in pool. Did slides...walked entire resort...got warm dry towels whenever we needed them. It was a once in a life time day...kids would love it. This year we were back in Nassau and had planned to do a walking tour and lunch but since we didn't stop at Coco Cay we were wanting a beach day, so we went to Cable Beach. We caught the jiety for $1.00. #10...we got on # 10A....and it took us through the city...many stops and lots of culture...too much from my under traveled hubby. We were completly safe and did get to beach but took cab on the way back for $12.00, and it was a much more direct trip. Cable Beach was beautiful. I have a pic of the beach in front of Raddison on my screen saver...I'm dreaming of the next trip to the Caribbean! Brezzes and the Wyndam both were recoving from hurricane damage but the Raddison was fine. We sit in chairs, used pools, ate at Pool side restaurant, had drinks at bar. If I had kids, I'd do the Atlantis thing but if $$ is big issue and beautiful blue warm water would make them happy....Cable Beach would work. Stash food in small foldable cooler for kids to save $$. Have a great vacation.

I currently have the Atlantis booked for our upcoming day in Nassau. But with the price for the room of $156 plus the other charges (room fee and gratuity according to the reservation of $4 and $3.75 respectively) plus the cab to get to and from, it is going to be nearly $200 for my daughter and me. Did the Comfort Suites charge you these additional $ since you checked in/out at the same time? How much was the tax? It sounds like you think the price is well worth it.... But I am still waivering...

Taxes are collected from ALL hotels, not just Atlantis.

You'll pay room tax, gratuities and energy surcharge.

Room tax is 12 %.. Energy surcharge is about $4pp per nite.

I think there is a pool charge also at Atlantis, which I dont' think the others charge.

We did Sea Island Adventures in Nassau. For 5 of us, it was 180-bucks, but it includes transportation to/from ship, boat ride, lunch, snorkel gear and beach stuff. We were on a budget too, but it was well worth it.

What is Sea Island Adventures? Did you book this yourself? What "beach stuff" is included? What beach do you go to?

We were at Nassau on the 26th of October and took the jitney over to the Radison (what an amazing ride...definately worth it to see Nassau). The Radisson is gorgeous....BUT the lifeguard did approach us about not being guests. He said they do not welcome cruisers as is reported. BUT he also told us since we were already here he would not asked us to leave and to enjoy our day. So I'm not sure if this is something new or what. Maybe they don't want it to get too out of hand. It was not a busy day and we definately had drinks and lunch to validate our day!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the website for Sea Island Adventure and that looks like the best thing to do in Nassau. Now problem being we are only in port from 8-2... Do they offer anything other than the full day package. It looks wonderful.

We have 2 kids ages 16 and 14 and that looks like a lot of fun..

Thanks!!

Laurie

sorry for the delay, but you won't be able to do seaisland if you're leaving at 2. I would suggest flagging down a cab and just going to cable beach.:(

You do not need to take a cab to Cable Beach. Take the #10 bus. We boarded it in front of McDonalds which is across from the Hilton but there may be a closer stop to the pier. It runs every few minutes. It is $1 per person each way to Cable Beach. Get the same bus outside the hotels to go back into town.

The cab is $5 or $6 each plus a tip IF you have a group. For the 2 of us they wanted $15. We are SO glad we took Bus 10 - easy and safe.

• 2 weeks later...

The jitney is a small bus that holds maybe 20 people or less. Bus #10 takes you to Cable Beach. You return on the same bus. The fare is $1 each way per person. In fact, we were walking down the driveway from the Wyndham to return to town and one of the jitney (bus) drivers waited for us. But it really is not hard to get one - we saw at least 3 others on our way back into town.

There's not much snorkeling from any of the beaches in the area.. far too much boat / jetski traffic. Most of the reefs near the beach are barron.

There's a little snorkleing off the west side of the Radisson, but beyond that.. you'll have to take a trip the the sea gardens, Athol Island or Rose Island.

Pearl Island only has snorkeling on the back side... the Treasure Hunt is what you are looking for.. but I think they don't get back to the dock until about 4 ish.

We are also looking for a beach day and will only be there from 8-2. We're a family of 5 kids will be 9,6, & 5. Has anyone been to south beach or is cable beach really the only place to go if staying on New Providence?

Archived