C.C.P.I.C.S. - Class 02 - Rule of Thirds

pierces

You took a class! Darn! I need to do that someday!

Nice stuff! More proof that it's less about the camera and more about the eye behind it!

Again, nice stuff!

Dave

Haha...I can almost remember it too! :p But really, thank you for letting me post in here.

Oh, and BTW I really like that shot of the cable car back on page one. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time too.:D

Critique away! (And I'm going to grab my camera and go out and practice...)

153121259_6hAKk-L.jpg

Thirds and leading lines! There you go!

Again, my opinion:

original.jpg

I took advantage of the lines of the window to point to the lone pedestrian as you did, but I removed the over-exposed bit of wall because it didn't add anything to the scene (IMHO). I also compressed the view a bit to accentuate the lines. Nice capture, by the way.

Dave

Being a board about cruising, I walked down to the dock from my office to apply ROT to the Pride of America on its weekly Saturday stop ... to find her displaced at Pier 10 by a really unattractive barge. The barge got the ROT treatment anyway (using the ROT grid built into the camera display).

CCPICS1b.jpg?imgmax=512

The planned image was to show the Pride of America waiting at the light, ready to head up Bethel Street (like the X Mercury below, just before we hopped on last November).

CCPICS1a.jpg?imgmax=512

Grid overlay is great, isn't it? One thing I miss from when I shot mostly with my Minolta A2.

Looks like you've got it down pat. I just hope the guy at the light looks both ways! :D

Dave

Hi all, especially Dave...thanks for taking the lead on this exciting endeavor!!

I tried to use ROT, a triangle, and three objects....taken with Nikon D80. Thanks, Bill in Pennsylvania.DSC_0043.JPG?imgmax=640

Positioning makes the eye dance about a bit! I like it! Nice colors and shapes. If you still have access to these flowers, try the same shot with the front bloom as the primary focus.

Dave

Well, Here's my attempt:

_MG_0007.jpg

A view of Pikes Peak at sunset from my window. No filters used for this one. I really hate all the electrical wires in this one, but haven't taken the time to try and edit them all out in Photoshop. Information: Camera - Canon 40d---f 4.5---shutter speed 1/50 at ISO 800.

More sky! More sky!

The beautiful sunset should have been more of the subject (I am drawn to them!) The horizon is too high for use as a silhouette and the power lines do distract. Try it from a different location or widen the view to make the trees and lines less significant to the total picture.

Remember; this is my opinion and it's offered constructively. I love the fact that all the participants want to take better photos!

Dave

Okay here is a try at the thirds. This one is shot at opening night of the Tacoma Rainiers from our seats. I was having fun with my new lens that VR on it, and it showed me what it can do. Oh yea this is Wladimir Balenien swinging

dsc0081a.jpg

Info

Camera Nikon D50

Exposure 1/8

Aperture 5.6

Shot with Aperture priority

focal length 330 at 35mm

I enjoy this picture I hope other do also

Composition with motion...It's a good photo and a good use of the rule. Adding the crowd gives it perspective.

Dave

I am not sure if I did it right or not. I had troubleIMGP1820.JPG?imgmax=512 finding anything to take a picture of.

ISO 100

exposure 1/250

aperature 5.6

focal length 300mm

IMGP1819.JPG?imgmax=512

For the bird picture the ISO100

Aperature F5.6

Focal length 300mm

Exposure 1/180

The bird is well-framed by its surroundings, but I would have moved the head of the dandelion up and to the left.

Don't feel bad about the lack of subject matter...those days, sadly, outnumber the good ones!

The answer...look farther and have fun looking!

Happy shooting

Dvae

I've been trying to use ROT more consistently since taking an on-line photography course a couple of months ago. I turned on the grid in my camera - it helps.

tram-1.jpg

I hate heights and have an instinctive dislike of your photo...which means that you did a good job capturing the sense of height and "hanging by a thread"!:D

Keep up the classes, but don't forget to have fun taking photos.

Dave

The change in perspective did indeed make a difference! In the first photo it's a bench. In the second, it's a place you'd want to sit.

Part of photography is learning to see. All of our eyes are sensitive to light. I like to think that photography makes them sensitive to the world around us as well.

The second image is much better than the first in conveying the surroundings. You might want to move the bench to the right third of the scene a little more and include a bit less of the trunk and a bit more of the area in front of the bench.

Cropped:

original.jpg

Just my opinion, your photo was good to begin with.

Dave

Thanks,Dave for your time. Funny, I played around with cropping and having less of the front tree. Just ended up with more tree because I liked the bark!

Going out in the yard to find more great shots! Love doing this!

Re: Norwegia Pearl (won't quote the whole picture)

Agree with moving the subject down. The crop picture was to try to show

the loss of purpose by cropping the subject to the centre and losing the

surroundings. I would never deliberately crop a picture this way and would not

zoom in this close when composing. I also use the grid, which is a very

valuable tool.

Thanks for the critique, Dave.

Cliff

The bird is well-framed by its surroundings, but I would have moved the head of the dandelion up and to the left.

Don't feel bad about the lack of subject matter...those days, sadly, outnumber the good ones!

The answer...look farther and have fun looking!

Happy shooting

Dvae

Thanks for looking at the pictures. I am going out to my Mom's today to get some more practice in. Atleast today I can use the auto focus since I now have that problem solved. It is good having somebody that knows what they are looking at looking at your pictures. Ofcourse, your family always thinks you are great. I can't wait for the next class.

I took advantage of the lines of the window to point to the lone pedestrian as you did, but I removed the over-exposed bit of wall because it didn't add anything to the scene (IMHO). I also compressed the view a bit to accentuate the lines. Nice capture, by the way.

Thanks for all your help/advice Dave...you rock!

I hadn't even noticed the wall 'til I posted the photo here; and of course I thought, "that doesn't look good"! I do need to work more with editing... (But first things first, starting with the ROT!) ;)

Using the rule of three proved to be a more challenging assignment that I thought. The hazy, hot humid light of central Maryland in July did not make for interesting photos any time. Below is a grab shot I took on Saturday. With the wing of the airplane to frame things, it is easy not to put the horizon smack in the middle of the picture. I used my Canon 30D with the EFS 17-85 zoom lens on automatic everything. (This is the Shenandoah river valley south of Harpers Ferry, WV.)

flight1-1.jpg

The flowers in a pot on our deck in afternoon sun were a challenge. I was trying to isolate several flowers with a dark background and still get the ROT.

With the flat light, I sort of got thirds, and would like to see Pierces recommendations for cropping. The lens was a Canon 70-200 mm zoom with on the 30D with aperture priority so I could get maximum depth of field.

deckflowers.jpg

The last picture was not taken for this assignment, but is my favorite “thirds” picture. It was taken across San Francisco Bay from Sausalito with a layer of fog over the city. The exposure was about 3 seconds, with the Canon and the 17-85 mm lens.

SFnight.jpg

More sky! More sky!

The beautiful sunset should have been more of the subject (I am drawn to them!) The horizon is too high for use as a silhouette and the power lines do distract. Try it from a different location or widen the view to make the trees and lines less significant to the total picture.

Remember; this is my opinion and it's offered constructively. I love the fact that all the participants want to take better photos!

Dave

Dave, I agree on all counts! I wanted to get a start participating in these threads, and chose a photo to post. It was taken back in Winter (snow on the mountains) and I was really playing with a lens that I didn't end up purchasing. This is the photo that led me to purchase the 10-24mm wide angle lens. I'll see if I can't get a new picture taken and try harder!

Thanks for the spot-on constructive criticism!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARBORGUY viewpost.gif

Hi all, especially Dave...thanks for taking the lead on this exciting endeavor!!

I tried to use ROT, a triangle, and three objects....taken with Nikon D80. Thanks, Bill in Pennsylvania.DSC_0043.JPG?imgmax=640

Positioning makes the eye dance about a bit! I like it! Nice colors and shapes. If you still have access to these flowers, try the same shot with the front bloom as the primary focus.

Dave

Dave...Thanks for the feedback!! I'm going to try again changing the focus..

Bill

The picture that I posted on here and the 'Introduce yourself' is not showing now - any ideas why? I use the Kodak website for uploading the pictures. hmmm...?:confused:

I guess I need to use a different website?

I'll play! I took these a couple weekends ago after being inspired by this board to take some better pictures! Did I catch on to the ROT by accident? I will definitely be paying attention to it from now on anyway!

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

Well haven't had the chance to go out and shoot anything interesting, but was eager to participate. This is a pretty blooming tree in my townhouse complex.

I lent my Canon to a friend (oh the blasphemy!:D ). So I used my Konica Minolta Z10.

Camera: KONICA MINOLTA

Model: DiMAGE Z10

ISO: 64

Exposure: 1/1250 sec

Aperture: f/3.4

Focal Length: 17.3mm

Flash Used: No

PICT0003.JPG?imgmax=640

MAC

I'll play! I took these a couple weekends ago after being inspired by this board to take some better pictures! Did I catch on to the ROT by accident? I will definitely be paying attention to it from now on anyway!

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

The bottom oneis close enough and excludes the surroundings that it is almost and abstract. Interesting!

The top one is a "rule bender". It's interesting enough to draw the eye (first impression was a brachosaurus lumbering into the sunset :eek: ), but not quite in the thirds. I did say the rule was bendable, didn't I?

I moved the subject up as far as i could, cleaned up the shadows a bit and added some saturation. On the whole, it reamains about the same. The "do-it-again" suggestion would be to pull back and re-frame the image as shown below:

medium.jpg

My 2¢...good work!

Dave

These pictures were just recently taken at Avalon, New Jersey with my Canon 40D.

_MG_6531-Edit.jpg

sandpiper%20final.jpg

_MG_2238-Edit.jpg

Nailed the bottom one! Nice scene. I like the pair of flip-flops basking in the sun.

The top one suffers from the most common framing faux pas (I share the guilt!) which is the sloping horizon. I look at some of my photos and wonder why the ocean didn't just drain away to the right or left! Good framing, but watch the horizon and linear structures like this pier.

medium.jpg

The bird is in the third. (A poet and didn't know it!) My only suggestion would be to give the little guy more room to run:

medium.jpg

Good work! It looks like you had fun!

Dave

Well haven't had the chance to go out and shoot anything interesting, but was eager to participate. This is a pretty blooming tree in my townhouse complex.

I lent my Canon to a friend (oh the blasphemy!:D ). So I used my Konica Minolta Z10.

Camera: KONICA MINOLTA

Model: DiMAGE Z10

ISO: 64

Exposure: 1/1250 sec

Aperture: f/3.4

Focal Length: 17.3mm

Flash Used: No

PICT0003.JPG?imgmax=640

MAC

Looks interesting to me! nice color and light. Don't be afraid to throw away a few pixels to make use of the striking colors:

original.jpg

Nicely done!

Dave

Archived