C.C.P.I.C.S. - Class 02 - Rule of Thirds

pierces

Dave,

Thanks for the critiques. I was wondering where our "teacher" was. lol.... But appreciate the effort.

I always knew of the R.O.T. but hadn't really paid attention when taking photos. But this step by step of lessons is making me pay attention. I only wish you were a diver, then you could eventually give lessons on that subject too....lol.....

Dave,thanks for the compliment. You are doing a great service for every one here. Just learning some of the basics is all some need to turn their snapshots into great images. You should be commended.

Karen,

I love your sea lion (or is he a seal?).... Although a different venue - he reminds me of swimming with them in the Galapagos....

This is a sea lion. He was a BIG boy - 2200 pounds! They said that the stellar lions are very mean - they'll go out of their way to tip a boat over. I don't know if you'd want to swim with them!

Oceanbums,

I agree. There are things I just don't see until it's pointed out. An added benefit to the way Dave is doing this is that we can learn from all the photos, not just our own.

I know what you mean; I pick up ideas and love to see the variety of subjects in everyone's pictures. After participating in this class, I put the grid back on the monitor-guess before I didn't have a clue how to use it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice additions!

FYI,the classes aren't really made to have an end. The idea was that people could start up at any point and either catch up or skip around to subjects that interested them. They are also available for people to browse and learn from all of your submissions as well as the class material.

Keep it up!

Dave

2819110316_4190ae7659.jpg

Now that I have learnt how to post pictures I will be posting all the time!!!!

I have a Nikon D40 and 18-200 lens and am really enjoying learning about photography

This was taken in Youghal Co Cork/Co Waterford at the harbour especially for the ROT - does it fit the bill Dave?

Thankyou for putting all the effort into teaching us abt photography

2819110316_4190ae7659.jpg

Now that I have learnt how to post pictures I will be posting all the time!!!!

I have a Nikon D40 and 18-200 lens and am really enjoying learning about photography

This was taken in Youghal Co Cork/Co Waterford at the harbour especially for the ROT - does it fit the bill Dave?

Thankyou for putting all the effort into teaching us abt photography

Your photo follows R.O.T. if the little blue boat was the target. For me, the big boat tethered to the orange buoy is drawing too much attention. If you zoomed out (or backed up;)) to include the back of that boat and placed it a little lower in the frame, it would draw the eye better and the little guy would one of the details you would see.

You definitely have the concept down.

Dave

Here is a shot that I tried to use the ROT

1288522810_03c933f493_o.jpg

Golden Zone beach - Mazatlan

The water (or my rush to take the shot) played havoc with my horizontal horizon - something I have to watch for in future beach shots.

Photo Details:

Camera: Samsung Digimax V5 / Kenox V5

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)

Aperture: f/9.5

Focal Length: 16.5 mm

ISO Speed: 50

Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Flash: Flash did not fire

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks

Here is a shot that I tried to use the ROT

Golden Zone beach - Mazatlan

The water (or my rush to take the shot) played havoc with my horizontal horizon - something I have to watch for in future beach shots.

Photo Details:

Camera: Samsung Digimax V5 / Kenox V5

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)

Aperture: f/9.5

Focal Length: 16.5 mm

ISO Speed: 50

Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Flash: Flash did not fire

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks

I straightened it up to see how it looked and while the horizon isn't one of the thirds, the sea/sand terminator fills the requirement quite nicely. Tells a nice story.

large.jpg

I also took the liberty of balancing the levels a bit and bumping the color a notch.

good job!

Dave

Dave,

Do you do your "tweaking" in Photoshop? If not then what software do you use to manipulate the photos?

... your version looks much better :o

I straightened it up to see how it looked and while the horizon isn't one of the thirds, the sea/sand terminator fills the requirement quite nicely. Tells a nice story.

I also took the liberty of balancing the levels a bit and bumping the color a notch.

good job!

Dave

Archived