Serenade or Liberty

My husband and I are looking into a December cruise on 1 of these ships. Would you recommend 1 more than the other? We both have been on RCCL before - last one was on Adventure of the Sea soon after its inaugural voyage.

Thanks!

Hi,

The Serenade is smaller than the Adventure. The feel is different. I felt cramped at times, especially around the shops in the evenings. All of the shops are lined up as you walk towards the theater. It's been a couple of years, but I remember that the Captain and crew of the Serenade were very attentive and personable. The Captain even had a Q&A session one sea day. One negative that still sticks in my mind is having to walk thru smoky areas to get to one of the lounges for ship activities. There was no other way to that particular lounge.

Now, I love the Liberty! The Liberty is larger than the Adventure or should I say longer. There is an Ice Show (like the Adventure). Room to breathe. You can get lost on deck somewhere (and still hear the music). You can walk around or just sit in the promenade with a cup of coffee and watch the people walk by. I also found more options for meals and snacks with less crowding than on the Serenade. My steward explained to me that the layout of the Freedom class ships is pretty much the same as the Adventure (mall-type promenade, 3-tier dining). Besides the flowrider, he said RCI made the ship longer to add more sleeping rooms. I didn't feel cramped at all on this ship.

I hope this helps you some.

Tough question. I have been on the Liberty and have the Serenade booked for a future cruise. (I've been on the Radiance and love the Radiance class ships.)

What itinerary are you looking at? That was the main reason we've booked the Serenade - all the different Southern Caribbean islands. (Plus loving the Radiance class ships because they are just plain beautiful.)

I would say that part of a Liberty cruise (or Freedom class cruise in general) is having the ship as a destination with the Flowrider, ice rink, promenade, etc. (The Serenade would has a rock wall and a miniature golf course too.) The itineraries are particularly fresh on the Liberty. (I do like going to Labadee, so that's a nice element to the Liberty cruises.)

I guess, too, there's the question of the departure port and the ease of getting to it. It's worth going to San Juan to me so that I can go to all the different islands.

Only you will know what factors are more important to you since both ships are great.

P.S. I didn't feel cramped on either ship.

I have been on the Serenade and Liberty, to me the Liberty had more of a crowded feel. For example ice skating on the Voyager class ships I never felt crowded while it was packed on the Liberty.

Both are great ships and you can't go wrong with either of them.

Archived