What happens when???

ozcaz

Hi All,

I was just curious what happens if your flight gets grounded because of snow.

After our cruise we have to fly to vancouver via chicago. Our flight is the last flight out of chicago at night on united airlines. I gather chicago gets snow please excuse my ignorance. So do you sleep on the floor in the airport. Does the airline put you up in a hotel. I wouldnt imagine this would be an option because 1. It would cost them a fortune. 2. Not their fault they are snowed in. 3. Probably not enough hotel rooms anyway. I have no idea not something i have ever had to worry about.

Like I said, just curious.

Thanks
Caz

They'll usually get you a "distressed passenger" rate at a nearby hotel - which is better than the rack rate you would get if you showed up off the street to book the hotel. I dunno if you'll get anything more, but they'll almost certainly accomodate you on the first flight of the next day, if there's space. You can always sleep in the airport if you want, but who wants to do that on the way home from a vacation???

Enjoy your cruise
-bb123

Ozcaz,
You are exactly right on all points of your thought.
However, you may get a favorable rate as previous poster stated. If you are calm and civil to the airline personnel. If you start screaming like the majority of people that will be around you; you should find the best place on the floor because that is where you will be staying. Remember you get more with honey than you do with vinegar.
mcboo

There are a couple of other considerations. Surely, space-availability will make a big difference. There are many occasions when, due to a snow storm, this is practically no availability to be found in the Chicago area. I was caught there once myself, and was preparing my nest for the evenign, but was lucky enough to have my FF status save me at the last minute, getting a seat on one of the few flights going out when a confirmed passenger got sick.

Something else to remember: If you are stranded at a connection point, and were flying one of the major airlines (I don't know about the others), the airline has agreed to try to accommodate you somehow. At your origin or destination, they are under no obligation, expressed or implied. That is even if your origin is NOT your home city (as is typically the case on your "way home"). They will almost surely do nothing for you in that case -- you may be better off holding onto your hotel room if possible.

We live just outside of Chicago and when there is bad weather the TV news alway shows the Dept of Aviation putting out cots for stranded passengers. It must be better than sleeping on the floor.

We were stuck in St. Louis with this situation. They did not announce the flight was actually cancelled until very late, at which times all hotel rooms were taken. They offered no compensation because it was a natural occurance (rather than a mechanical problem under their control). They did provide little pillows and blankets along with a toiletry kit that contained deoderant, a toothbrush, and some soap.

Since I had two little children (5 & 2), I was hesitant to sleep in case they woke up and walked away (or worse yet were taken.) I spent the night watching CNN and they put us on a flight mid-morning the next day to get home. The worst part - we hadn't eaten dinner yet and there was not one store or restaurant open in the airport after 9pm. Dinner was purchased from the soda & candy vending machines.

• 3 weeks later...
After being stranded in airports in Detroit, Newark (on New Yrs Eve with a 2 year old!), and Phili, I learned my lesson. One, avoid northern airports in the winter if at all possible. If not possible, reserve a room at an airport hotel that allows you to cancel late on day of arrival. That way if it's snowing, you'll have a room and if it's not you can cancel. Once I started doing this, it came in handy only once! Good luck. . .

I travel through Chicago and Detroit all of the time in the winter. Last flight out is not the best choice for the weather, but sometimes it's the only choice to get home. I always make sure I carry-on snacks and water (as the restaurants close before the last flights), and a small toiletry bag of essentials (toothbrush and paste). I'm not sure what the statistics are, but I have had far better success in Chicago in the winter than in the summer. They seem better prepared for ice and snow than those summer winds. I have rented a car at O'Hare before and driven the last 4 hours just so I could get home. Think positive thoughts and have a wonderful trip.

Archived