London - convenient place for someone w/o a car to meet someone w/ a car

Trece

I’m hoping that someone with some knowledge of the London transit system can help me. We will be staying overnight in London in the Belgravia area prior to traveling the next day to Southampton for our cruise embarkation. We have the possibility of using a guide who we’ve used before & really like for a guided tour en route. However, that morning, she is already booked doing a transfer from Dover to Heathrow, and rather than come into London to pick us up, she is willing to give us a very substantial discount on the tour price if we get to her instead, since otherwise the timing probably won't work. She has offered to meet us at the Marriott Langley or at Heathrow Terminal 5. I’ve looked into both a little bit & frankly neither appeals to us, coming from Belgravia. Marriott Langley would require an expensive cab ride, and while we can get to LHR by train, it’s just not appealing to be going back to an airport. I’m not opposed to using the tube or train or even a cab if I only knew of a place to suggest that would be convenient for her to be driving a vehicle, convenient for us in terms of connections/luggage/cost, and en route to Southampton rather than the opposite direction. Am I dreaming or is there such a place that might work, or is going back to the airport not as bad as it sounds or is the cab to Marriott Langley from Belgravia not as expensive as I think it would be? I really could use some help, for which I thank you in advance, because I know this is an intricate question.

I would think that your tour guide would be the best person to ask. Obviously if she wants to meet you at Heathrow there is a reason; perhaps she feels that is the best and easiest place to meet you. If you're saving money on the trip to Southampton, then spend some on a cab to Heathrow. It only cost us 65 GBP to get from Heathrow to the Trafalgar Square area of London in June.

Actually, the guide prefers the Marriott over Heathrow. I was asking mainly because I know for myself, I become so familiar with my own area/comfort zone at home that sometimes it takes someone else with a fresh set of eyes to think "outside the box" and come up with an interesting solution, so I thought by throwing the question out to someone familiar with London that a novel solution might be arrived at that even she didn't think of, as she does not live in London either.

I wouldnt suggest using the Marriot at Langley for a meeting place. The location is outside the Metroplitan area and a cab to there from central London could be expensive. ( negotiated price ) Where roughly are you staying in Belgravia? Its well served on the North side by the Piccadilly Line and the central area is served by the District/Central lines. Problem would be if you had a lot of luggage. Theres also the Express coach which runs from the coach station on Buckingham Palace Road. If you use the Piccadilly Line, a good meeting place would be Hounslow West tube station after 0930hrs as the traffic there is a bit quieter then and its an easy run along the A4 from Langley.

Jimmy

Thinking ouside the box.

I presume you are wanting to see some sights out of London?

Why not take the train to either Winchester or Salisbury from Waterloo (short taxi ride from Belgravia to Waterloo) and get your driver/guide to drive down there in time to meet you at either of these two railway stations. Plenty to see in these two historic cathederal citys (35 mins apart) and only a short drive thereon to Southampton.

I’m not opposed to using the tube or train or even a cab if I only knew of a place to suggest that would be convenient for her to be driving a vehicle, convenient for us in terms of connections/luggage/cost, and en route to Southampton rather than the opposite direction. Am I dreaming or is there such a place that might work, or is going back to the airport not as bad as it sounds or is the cab to Marriott Langley from Belgravia not as expensive as I think it would be?
I wouldn't try to get to the Marriott. It's just too difficult. Going to Heathrow really isn't that bad.

Personally, I would suggest going to Terminal 4 on the Tube, taking the lift (elevator) up to the check-in level, and meeting her in the departures car drop-off area so that she doesn't actually have to park. An alternative is Terminal 5 - do much the same thing. I don't recommend any of T123 for this.

Two other possibilities on the Piccadilly Line, which should be pretty easy for you to get to:-

• Hounslow East Tube - I think that there are lifts to street level from the platform here, thinking about your luggage.
  • Hatton Cross Tube, where there are no lifts, but it's quite easy to meet someone in the main hall near the ticket office, and there's a car park right next to the station.

I really don't think that there's anywhere in between that's going to be any better for all of you, overall.

There is a direct bus, the Green Line bus from Victoria to Bracknell via Windsor. Its first stop down the motorway/freeway is directly in front of the Marriott.

The proper name for the Marriott at Langley is Marriott Windsor, (don't confuse with the Marriott Heathrow)

The Green Line Bus starts from Buckingham Palace Road at Victoria Green Line Bus Station very close to Belgravia.

I've got my work cut out for me evaluating all of what looks to be some very great ideas! You have all provided just what I was looking for, creativity based on personal knowledge of the area, exactly what I DON'T have. I've got to sit down now with some maps etc. and see if I can figure out what would work best. I hope you don't mind if I come back & ask more questions if I have to. Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it! :D

Archived