Handicapped cabins ???

We are planning a cruise on the sovereign and my grandparents need a handicap acc cabin. Does anyone know what modifications are made to this cabin? Im asking because the highest room they have available is an oceanview on deck two and we were looking to get 3 superior oceanviews next to eachother. Has anyone stayed in the superior oceanview? Is there enough room inside to navigate a wheelchair? Are the handicap cabins modified enough to make it worth having such a lesser cabin?

Thanks in advance for your info, I'm trying to make it the best trip possible.

I don´t know about the handicap cabins but I know for sure you won´t be able to navigate a wheelchair around in a superior oceanview. I´m almost sure you will have the first problem to get the wheelchair through the door. The size of the can´bin is ok but not for a wheelchair and you´ll have a really problem with the bathroom. It´s really small, no handles and a step to get into it.

You can call RCCL for the handicap cabins.

First pics of the undocking of the Jewel of the Seas:

http://community.webshots.com/album/125049819TVWuuS

Jewel of the Seas left Meyerwerft Shipyard

See Photos of River Ems passage

http://community.webshots.com/album/131001309cIkOdH

Jewel of the Seas - 05/28/04 Scandinavia / Russia / Baltic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;05;28;7;20;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Jewel of the Seas - 09/28/04 Canada / New England

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;09;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

09/2003 - Legend of the Seas Hawaii

06/2003 - Norwegian Dawn Florida and Bahamas

2002 - MS Columbus - Cruise to nowhere

2001 - Grandeur of the Seas Mediterranean and Transatlantic

2000 - Splendour of the Seas Transatlantic

2000 - Viking Star on the Danube River

1999 - Vision of the Seas Panamacanal cruise

1998 - Vision of the Seas Transatlantic

1997 - Crystal Symphonie to Mexican Riviera

1996 - Delta Queen on the Mississippi

1995 - Legend of the Seas to Alaska

The accessible cabins are actually the size of two standard cabins smooshed together. You could practically hold a square dance in them. We had plenty of room to store both wheelchairs (a huge power one and a portable fold up one).

The shower is completely accessible; you can wheel right into it and there is a bench. The bathroom is huge too. There are shower sprayers that you can move up and down; light cords, and even a call light to the ship's nurse in the bathroom.

I think you will be very happy with your parent's stateroom and the features for accessibility. Also, we found the ship's staff to be very accommodating and also there are nice wheelchair accessible areas of the theater, and so on.

Well, you can use the larger cabin as a meeting place! Unfortunately, the people in the HA cabin next to us (who weren't handicapped but must have just been assigned to it since no one else needed it) also thought of that - and used it as a giant party room! Twice during the cruise they had wild parties at 3:00 AM. I saw about 25 people exit the room the second incident, when Security came.

So that gives you an idea of the size!

Archived