Sitka Restaurants??

trvldog

We do not want to go back to the ship for lunch while in port- Any

recommendations for seafood places to eat at in town?

I posted on Alaska forum but thought I would post here also for anyone that has been on a sailing this year and ate in town

Thanks!

There are several restaurants downtown, if you can call it that...

Just ask the locals or watch where they all go for lunch..

There was one MOM and POP place that had a great lunch special and it was full...

We walked around all of Sitka. There is a nice marine exhibit at the local college..Just start walking - you will really like it...

WE also walked to the bald eagle refuge. THIS was awesome.......

Sitka was one of our favorite places...

Thanks Ken

Last time we were there we went to the bald eagle refuge & I agree was so worth it! Probably will head back again this time.

Sitka is one of our favortites also that is why I told mom no going back to the ship for lunch we are doing as much as we can while we are there! :)

We ate at the Westmark Hotel's restaurant in Sitka in June. I can not recommend it even though 2 taxi drivers said it was good.

We did not see a lot of places right downtown if you are looking for a place to sit down and be served. Hope someone else has recommendations.

Francine

Our lunch in Sitka consisted of a bag of popcorn at the Tlingit dancers show! :D There was so much to see and do in Sitka, we didn't want to take time to have lunch. Knew a nice (early) dinner was waiting for us on the ship.

trvldog,

When you are on the ship, ask some of the crew members where they go to eat in Sitka. Lots of them get tired of eating ship food and go to restaurants in port when they can. Ask some of the singers/dancers, the shorex people, the future Cruise Consultant, the Club Hal staff, etc. They have usually figured out where the best food/deals are.

Bonnie

Thanks everyone for the great advice.. If it were just me a bag of chips would be all I would need for a snack to keep me going but my mom likes to rest since she is unable to get around very well. I will take your advice Bonnie and ask a few of the crew members and if not that soup place sounds like a great idea :)

Trvldog, my family and I have eaten at the Backdoor, located behind the Old Harbor Bookstore (it may be the soup and sandwich place that pipedreams mentioned above). The food was good, fresh, and homemade. The atmosphere was very informal. Tables were shared. We ate there at the recommendation of Cap'n Davey Lubin, skipper of the Esther G.

Trvldog, my family and I have eaten at the Backdoor, located behind the Old Harbor Bookstore (it may be the soup and sandwich place that pipedreams mentioned above). The food was good, fresh, and homemade. The atmosphere was very informal. Tables were shared. We ate there at the recommendation of Cap'n Davey Lubin, skipper of the Esther G.

That's were we ate in May!!

DH loved the soup!!

I Just spent 3 days in Sitka so I had a chance to try a few of the places to eat. I stayed at the westmark and while it might depend on what you order I would stay away from eating there.

The top three places I ate at were

Level 2 which was a new restaurant that just opened this season I ate there twice and the food was great both times nice menu for lunch it is right down the street from the Westmark and across the street from where the cruises tender in it is on the 2nd floor of a group of stores and there is an elevator for your mom. Great seafood and good friendly service.

If you are going to the middle of town we ate at Victoria's great King Crab legs and soups the other food looked good but we just went for the king crab legs.

Somthing fun was a stand on the side of the road. Not sure about for lunch with your mom but great for a snack on the way back to the ship. The stand was called "Two Chicks and a stick" It is two sisters that skewer fresh salmon caught that morning and top it with different glazes and rubs and grill them to order, best salmon of the trip that I had.

I would ask the local shop owners for recommendations or exact location for any of the above, they will know best as they live there and they are all very welcoming in friendly, (different story in Juneau). One shop owner had Russian tea and biscotti free of charge for people coming in.

Sitka was great enjoy!

We live in Juneau (couldn't agree more with fpat's comment about Juneau, btw!), and when we travel to Sitka we eat at Van Winkle and Sons.

Their food is amazing. They had a vodka pasta on their special menu one night. It was delicious. When I asked our server to let the chef know, she said he was previously a chef in NYC and had won a New York Times award for that dish. I can not tell you in words how awesome it was!

Wow- thanks for all the other options!.. I have them all jotted down- The soup place seemed to be a winner with mom... but hmmm crab legs.. yum!

Maybe you could do a "Lunch Tour" excursion of Sitka, and try 'em all!:D

Sitka, hands down, was my very favorite port stop on my Alaska cruises! Have a great time!

Maybe you could do a "Lunch Tour" excursion of Sitka, and try 'em all!:D

Sitka, hands down, was my very favorite port stop on my Alaska cruises! Have a great time!

LOL- Yeah cause god knows we do not get fed enough on the ship ;)

SItka is my favorite also. That is the main reason I chose HAL this year was for their Ittn. (now very excited for the ship too since we have heard so many nice things about the Amsterdam)

The others we were looking at stopped at Skagway (which is my least fav. stop) and Prince Rupert and after being their 3 times I hope I never have to return to Prince Rupert - Victoria will be a nice change!

Archived