Art auctions onboard

ustal

Just back from my first cruise, with a word of advice for new cruisers.

We bought some art at the auction on our cruise. We spent around 1000USD on six pieces, and we bought them because we liked the pictures - not for an investment, or because we thought they had a resale value. The auctioneer was a lovely guy, very personable, and assured us that we were getting a real bargain - the works we bought, he said, were worth a lot more than we paid for them.

Now that I get home and do a little research, I find that there are a lot of people who spent an awful lot more money than we did, and did so because they were told it was a great investment. The art we bought is probably worth almost what we paid for it. But not much more. And definitely not anything near the "GalleryName Price" that was being quoted as its value onboard.

So I just want to tell people - if you want to buy art as an investment, go to a gallery. Then go to another. And three more. Spend time yourself asking about previous sale prices (don't just look at valuations or appraisals, unless they're coming from someone who's shown you their credentials, and who *isn't* connected with the sale). Get advice from a professional who's working for *you*, not for the gallery.

I had a great time on my cruise, I enjoyed the auction, and I'm happy with what I bought. I'm not in any way saying "don't buy art on your cruise". Just know what you're buying.

Noirin

I buy art for me not an investment. Speculating on profit making in the fickle art business is luducris. By what you like . If your happy with the price you paid then its worth it.. Nothing has changed but your greed value.

What it comes down to is ... no one is every going to "take" Parkwest with a silly low price. They will only sell at a profit, even to "warm" the crowd up. Buy what you like, can afford, and what you realize will end up costing hundreds more to ship and frame.

Archived