Et Tu RCI?

I haven't been on these boards recently and it's interesting what I'm seeing here.

I recently returned from a Panama Canal cruise on Splendour out of Galveston and had the WORST overall cruise experience ever on RCL. I thought at the time that some major changes must have taken place. I too had an almost non-existent assistant waiter and an extremely overworked waiter. We were in a suite and our cabin steward was pleasant, but I got the feeling that he was just doing a job, nothing special. There were many other problems, but I'm not going to drone on with complaints.

I guess I too have been spoiled by the way it used to be, but I agree with the admiral - that is what got my allegiance to RCL in the first place and that's what it's going to take to keep it! If they lose enough of their loyal cruisers, maybe they will go back to being a high quality cruise line once again.

I am one cruise shy of diamond C & A and I booked my next cruise while onboard the Splendour. I decided to give RCL another try in case this was just a bad trip. Guess what? When I got home I found out that my cruise I had booked onboard was cancelled because the loyalty ambassador forgot to post the payment. Is that an omen? or what???

Until Panama Canal on Splendour of the Seas 02/19/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;02;19;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

[This message was edited by Texalana on 04-11-04 at 01:29 AM.]

island04...I see where you would have the tendancy to lean away from Carnival...I just see a trend on this board...to kill the messenger when they have the least bit of negativity directed at RCCL...we all love or have loved RCCL in the past...that is why we repeatedly cruise with them. But in the past few months...things seem to be taking a turn...and not for the better. I've tried Carnival...and I came back to RCCL...so I'm in agreement with you there.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

I really don't understand the motives behind the downturn in service. If the cabin stewards now take care of more cabins and the waiters and assistant waiters now take care of more tables what is to be gained by the cruise line? Just about everyone here labors under the assumption that these people only get $50 per month plus the tips. If this is in fact true, what does the cruise line gain by cutting back on the size of the staff. The $50 per month can't add up to that much. They get free food, but how much could that be worth when compared to the overall food budget. They get treated by the doctor on the ship, but he's there anyway. They share little cabins on lower decks so if you cut the staff is the cruise line planning to convert unused crew cabins in to passenger cabins to generate more revenue? I guess I just can't figure out the reason for cutting staff. It seems that the revenue that will be lost from customers that no longer enjoy their cruise experience will be far greater than the revenue saved by cutting back on staff.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superjerryw:

I really don't understand the motives behind the downturn in service. If the cabin stewards now take care of more cabins and the waiters and assistant waiters now take care of more tables what is to be gained by the cruise line? Just about everyone here labors under the assumption that these people only get $50 per month plus the tips. If this is in fact true, what does the cruise line gain by cutting back on the size of the staff. The $50 per month can't add up to that much. They get free food, but how much could that be worth when compared to the overall food budget. They get treated by the doctor on the ship, but he's there anyway. They share little cabins on lower decks so if you cut the staff is the cruise line planning to convert unused crew cabins in to passenger cabins to generate more revenue? I guess I just can't figure out the reason for cutting staff. It seems that the revenue that will be lost from customers that no longer enjoy their cruise experience will be far greater than the revenue saved by cutting back on staff.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't save the cruise lines much, maybe $10,000 per month, but it could generate $25,000 per cruise of additional revenue if the crew cabins can be converted into paying customers.

Galaxy 6/03, Carnival Pride 7/02, Voyager of the Seas 7/01, Grandeur of the Seas 07/00, Enchantment of the Seas 06/99, Carnival Destiny 7/98, Grandeur of the Seas 7/97, Sensation 6/96, Imagination 8/95, Carnivale 7/90, Festivale 7/89, Seaward (Norweigan Sea) 7/88, Carnivale 9/86

Next up, the Mariner 6/04.

Archived