Snorkeling in Belize??

horsingaround

I'm looking for some advice on a snorkeling excursion in Belize. I will be sailing on the Glory November 1 (for my honeymoon) and while I'm a certified diver, my fiancee is not. We are looking to do a snorkeling trip since he's not going to be able to get certified before the trip. I was trying to compare the one offered by Carnival vs. one offered directly (through the 'Shore Excursions' website) and I just can't determine which will be the best. They both seem to be about the same cost - I'm looking for the best value for the money.

Any suggestions out there from those of you who have experienced one (or both)?

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking for some advice on a snorkeling excursion in Belize. I will be sailing on the Glory November 1 (for my honeymoon) and while I'm a certified diver, my fiancee is not. We are looking to do a snorkeling trip since he's not going to be able to get certified before the trip. I was trying to compare the one offered by Carnival vs. one offered directly (through the 'Shore Excursions' website) and I just can't determine which will be the best. They both seem to be about the same cost - I'm looking for the best value for the money.

Thanks in advance!

You didn't provide any details on the two snorkel trips so it's hard to compare them but in Belize if one offers Shark Ray Alley take that one. Not only do you snorkel but you interact with wild, though tame, nurse sharks and sting rays (my wife calls sting rays the "puppies" of the sea).

Website with more details: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/divesharkholchan.html

Good times.

Randall

Thanks in advance!

My DH and I did a similar trip about 3 or 4 years ago with I believe the company was Coral Breeze Tours out of Belize. I would say the best value for the money would be with the independent. Almost every time we've booked with a cruiseships' excursions, they're usually so PACKED full of people that unless you're the first one in the water you won't get to see as much aquatic life as they are scared off by the swimmers. To this date, it was one of our favorite excursions. Another thing you might look into is to check with a company about having your fiancee doing a 'Discover Scuba' type excursion while you are doing your regular dive. My DH and I were going to do this with a company in Cabo San Lucas in February but the weather was too nasty. Have done a similar trip in Saint Lucia, where he dove and I snorkeled. :)

One big advantage to ship's excursion in Belize is that the ship's excursions usually go directly from the ship to the snorkel area. Private excursion will mean taking tender about 20 min? ride to port and then walk through port area and "colorful" characters outside port to meeting place.

March 2007, we took a Carnival excursion to Sergeant's Caye (manatee station). It was run by Hugh Parkey http://www.belizeadventurelodge.com/index.html. The scenery is just amazing. A real deserted island feel. Guides were very good and obviously loved their country. Boat was full but not crowded but not a party boat scene. I wished we could have stayed on the island a little longer and taken the kayaks into the mangrove area. The trip was just a half day. After we returned to the ship, we dropped by dd at Camp Carnival and headed into town for a quick look.

You didn't provide any details on the two snorkel trips so it's hard to compare them but in Belize if one offers Shark Ray Alley take that one. Not only do you snorkel but you interact with wild, though tame, nurse sharks and sting rays (my wife calls sting rays the "puppies" of the sea).

Website with more details: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/divesharkholchan.html

Good times.

Randall

Sorry about not putting any details - The independant tour does include 'Shark Ray Alley' according to the bio on the web. It says it includes that and 'Caye Caulker Marine Preserve' (the tour is called 'snorkeling the great barrier reef'.

The one offered by Carnival says they go to 'Goff Caye'. They don't mention Shark Ray Alley.

Anyway - it sounds like the independant one has more - I'm just a little nervous about not booking things through the cruise lines. I've never done it before ...

I second CoralBreezeTours. We went out with them when we were in Belize and it was the best snorkel trip I have ever had. They took us to the coral reef and we were the only boat out there. One of the crew is at the front of the group and they have you follow the crew "guide" and snorkel 1 or 2 abreast. This way, they can point out eels, etc that you might not see on your own. And, everyone gets in and out of the water at the same time so you can head off to your "ray" snorkel. When we were there, the nurse sharks did not show up. But, once again, we were the only boat there and the water was shallow enough you could touch bottom and the rays were all over the place - swimming between your legs and all around you!!! Then you get some time on Cay Caulker for lunch. We picked from the menu Coral Breezes offered, but there were a lot of other items on the menu when we got to the restaurant, so you might want to check to see if they will let you order when you get to the restaurant.

It was awesome!!!! Check out their website http://www.coralbreezetours.com

And, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming marriage. Have a great honeymoon!!

I can't wait - this year snorkeling, perhaps for our first anniversary we will be able to scuba dive! ;)

While you're in Belize check out the dive options.... I did the Belize Aggressor and spent a week diving in Belize (including the Blue Hole). You'll absolutely fall in love with the reef and all the life on it. Plus, might consider staying there sometime to see the Mayan ruins. I've been to three there and they're great as well. And don't forget the cave tubing and jaguar preserves..... :) Have a great trip!

Randall

Hi,

My husband just booked himself on the Agressor in Belize for late October. Just a question...is there any internet connections out there? I'm not real comfortable with not being able to contact him for a whole week. Is it safe? He just told me last night that you go diving alone(no guides)..now I'm a nervous wreck!!

Hi,

My husband just booked himself on the Agressor in Belize for late October. Just a question...is there any internet connections out there? I'm not real comfortable with not being able to contact him for a whole week. Is it safe? He just told me last night that you go diving alone(no guides)..now I'm a nervous wreck!!

They have internet while in dock which means he can send you an e-mail saying he made it and send you an e-mail saying he's on his way home. Other than that, unfortuately no. But the captain does have a marine radio and a Belizian cell phone so if there were an emergency they could get in touch with you very easily. If you're really worried you can rent a satellite telephone (it's like $10 a minute to use but if it gives you piece of mind you might consider). Just google satellite phones and you'll find some vendors.

As far as safety, on our trip the most serious injury was a blister on someone's foot from finning all day. Other than that, no problems. As far as diving alone, well, kind of. They have dive masters on board who will dive with anyone on a dive and they did let me solo (my buddy didn't want to dive and I wanted to check out the reef life without all the divers scaring it away). I had to stay at the stern of the boat and the water was only 20' deep. The dive master kept an eye on my bubbles the whole time. No wall or deep dives solo (at least not when I was on the boat). Belize has few to no large preditors in the water so we're the biggest thing on the reef. And most times there was a dive master hovering above us just keeping an eye out. As far as I know they haven't had any major injuries in the past. Of course the biggest risk is getting to your local airport as many, many more people are injured driving than diving. :)

Hope this helped,

Randall

Thanks so much for your post Randall. Yes, I do feel better. My husband has done around 200 dives and took a master course in the Mediterranean a couple of years ago. I guess that I'm just a nervous wife. Since I don't even swim, the whole underwater experience is very scary to me.

I'm going to Florida to visit relatives during the week that he's away. The pool and a good book is calling me.

Thanks again

SG

Archived