Last Minute Questions???

shaycamp21

Well we fly out to LA in one week and then off to Honolulu the next week (eeek!:eek: ) and I still have a few questions that I am hoping you seasoned Hawaii cruisers can answer. We rented cars in every port with Thrifty ( 2 days in Maui) what is the latest time you would recommend renturning a rental (biggest concern is Kona since it is tendered)?

This is our itinerary:

08/08 Fly in night before cruise stay at Aqua Coconit Waikiki

08/09 Cruise Day- am Hike Diamond Head (if not too jet lagged),

- early pm board POA

08/10 Day 1 -Maui - Iao Valley / Needle / Tropical Plantation Centre

08/11 Day 2- Maui- Ka’anapali Beach

08/12 Day 3- Hilo- VNP, Nut Factory (if time), Boiling Pots, Rainbow Falls

08/13 Day 4- Kona- Place of Refuge, Kona Coffee Living History Farm (if time), Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park, Shopping

08/14 Day 5- Kauai- Ke'e Beach (if time to take some pics), Princeville Ranch Horseback Riding (@ 12:30 pm for 1 1/2 hrs booked on our own), Anini Beach

08/15 Day 6- Kalapaki Beach (didn't rent a car so wanted something close to port)

08/16 Day 7- Disembark,drop off luggage at hotel Aqua Coconut, Dole Plantation, North Shore Beaches (take pics), PCC & Luau, Horizons Show

08/17 Post Cruise- Snorkeling Hanauma Bay or just hang out on Waikiki Bach or do Diamond Head if missed ;) ** this is my husband's b-day where to go for dinner ?(family oriented as we have 2 dd's wih us)

08/18 Post Cruise- shopping, relaxing, checking out Waikiki

08/19 fly out

I have two questions regarding our itinerary. Firstly, what do you recommend wearing on your feet for VNP, Iao Valley and Place of Refuge days? (my dd's love crocs but I know that isn't always safe or practical for some places--I know for Diamond Head & Horseback Riding we need closed shoes & we've got water shoes for the beaches)

My second question is where to go for lunch in port (or bring food off ship)? I don't want to spend too much since if we were on the ship lunch would be "free" also I would rather explore Hawaii than spend time in a restaurant.

I know this is quite wordy but the search was down yesterday and I am starting to panic a bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to critique our itinerary!:p

you can't bring food off the ship...regs won't allow it and the penalties aren't worth the risk..I too grab a quick bite...picnic it if possible ...gives you more time to look around

going for 2...I would ask at the rental place about time to drop off...we always seemed to pick the busier agencies...shuttle back to the ship was often full so wouldn't want to be counting on the last one and not make it back in time.

Shaycamp21 don't panic, your in for a great trip! We got off the ship 6-28 and here are a few suggestions. We rented thru Thrifty and had no problems except the 2nd day in Maui you need to call them and make sure they send the van to pick you up. There was a few mad people at Thrifty because there was no scheduled pickup that day. I took a cab there but did not raise he$$. We had the rental car back by 3pm at Kona since there was a long line of traffic back to the port. You will just leave the car in the King Kam hotel parking lot and drop keys off at box inside hotel. I would flip flop Maui and do Kaanapali beach/ Lahaina day 1 and then Iao valley/tropical plantation on day 2. We did this and on day 1 spent half the day in Kaanapali area and went on down to South beaches later that day. Go to Bubba Gumps in Lahaina, its right on the water and good food. On day 2 we went to the valley, took the tram around the Maui tropical plantation and still had time to drive to Kihea area and swim for a couple of hours. We never felt rushed doing that on the second day. On Hilo we drove first thing to Vnp. We went to the steam vents, crater, lava tubes, then Chain of Crater road in that order. We did not stop at visitors center first. Anyway, try and do the chain of craters road all the way to the ocean(awesome). We went to Akaka falls which is further than Rainbow falls, but it was beautiful and flowing strong. Finally, VNP you will want shoes that get good traction because parts of the area are wet. Iao Valley you do walk up quite a few steps so walking shoes would be best. Have a great trip!

you can't bring food off the ship...regs won't allow it and the penalties aren't worth the risk..I too grab a quick bite...picnic it if possible ...gives you more time to look around

going for 2...I would ask at the rental place about time to drop off...we always seemed to pick the busier agencies...shuttle back to the ship was often full so wouldn't want to be counting on the last one and not make it back in time.

I thought you could bring food off the ship since the cruise is originating in Hawaii. I 'm sure I've read several posts about doing this though I'm not sure if they snuck it off, which I don't want to do.:confused:

I thought you could bring food off the ship since the cruise is originating in Hawaii. I 'm sure I've read several posts about doing this though I'm not sure if they snuck it off, which I don't want to do.:confused:

For a time, the state Dept of Agriculture was allowing pax on Pride of X (when there was more than one) ships that stayed solely in Hawaii's waters to bring fresh food off the ship. Apparently, that has changed sometime in the past 6 to 8 months. I specifically checked with the Dept of Ag before our PoH cruise. At that time (I stress this was late 2006), it was allowed for the NCLA Pride ships cruising Hawaii-only itineraries. Only those ships had an exception. Pax on all other ships were (and always have been) not allowed to bring any fresh food off the ships. Some think this means fruit only; however, it's fresh fruit and veg, most meats and cheeses, and any other fresh items or things made with fresh items (such as sandwiches). Crackers, cereal packets, granola bars, and similar pre-packaged items may be brought off the ships.

I'm afraid that you will not be able to bring fresh food off the ship for your cruise. I'm guessing that there was some confusion or problems with making exceptions, so the Dept of Ag changed it back to "no fresh food off the ships; period" instead. What you have read about taking fresh food off the ship was accurate at the time, so your confusion is understandable.

The good news is that you can still bring a cooler, fill a few containers with ice, pack bottled water and soda and sealed milk/pastuerized juice cartons, and then buy picnic/fresh foods close to the ports. There are plenty of excellent delis and groceries offering a wide variety of fresh island goodies.

And mahalo for letting us know that you won't be sneaking food off the ships. As you're obviously aware, the agricultural protection laws are a big deal and in place for good reasons.

Have a wonderful time.:)

beachchick

Archived