48 minutes connection time in ATL

nattie

I am actually flying on 28th (Friday after Thanksgiving), so if I miss this connection and have to wait, I'll still make the cruiseship. I hate flying day of the cruise, ANYTHING can go wrong :)

On the other note, AA non stop is tempting enough to lift my personal ban on AA, BUT couple weeks ago they have cancelled the non stop to San Juan, then reinstated it last week (or so). My point is I could end up with connected flight anyway, but on the airline I dislike.

But if your flight schedule changes by more than a few minutes (likely if they cancelled a non-stop and put you on a 1 stop), then you would be entitled to a full refund and be able to rebook on another airline. I would take a non-stop over a one-stop any day (and I've had many more issues with Delta than AA).

Well, I have a mixture of encouragement and concern over the flight we have in January after seeing some of the posts here.

We have a connecting flight on AirTran next Januaryto SJU. Originally, we had about an hour for the layover. Now we have 44 minutes. On the good side, it's post-holiday rush so it sounds like we should be fine as long as our first leg leaves on time from here in KC.

On the bad side, if anything fouls up, we might be spending the night in Atlanta instead of in SJU like we have planned on. I hate to fly in the same day, but at least we'll have an excellent chance of making it to Serenade without much trouble.

Having said that and seen the rest of this thread, I'm going to make some contingency plans for a night in Atlanta if things go wrong.

I'd take a non-stop any time I could as my first choice. Next choice would be to check the cost from AirTran. Nearly all AirTran flights change planes in Atlanta. New airplanes (newest of all airlines) and nice people to deal with. As I live in Atlanta I am comfortable with the airport and have flown both AirTran (preferred when possible) and Delta. Most Delta flights go out of 'B' concourse and some from 'C'. AirTran is usually 'D' concourse. A train runs between concourses about every 4-5 minutes so the only real time spent is if you have to go from one end of a concourse to the other. With no luggage that shouldn't be a problem. Plane change in Atlanta is MUCH easier than a plane change in Miami (or Houston and Chicago).

I've been through ATL once before and, while crowded, it wasn't horrible to deal with. The timeframe was the second week of January just like the trip we have upcoming.

First trip on AirTran, Electricflyer. I'm hoping they meet your experience for us. I'm not real fond of flying, but if the airline's people are pretty nice, it makes things much easier.

BTW, were your '48 trips for the Merchant Marine?

Archived