48 minutes connection time in ATL

nattie

I am looking for flights from WAS (all DC area airports) to San Juan right after Thanksgiving for 11/30 cruise. So far I ahve narrowed it down to 2 options:

- Delta through ATL

- AA non stop

I personally dislike AA, so Delta is my first choice, even with stop. However, the best price itinerary gives me only 48 minutes to connect in ATL. I have never been to Delta terminal there, so I have no idea is this enough? Obviously, if it is in the different terminal or if you have to go through security than no.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

We flew delta last year to lauderdale with a 45 min layover in atlanta .....with no problems at all....this was a 6am flight with no delays....got right off ..had a little time then checked in....no problems! And actually this year we even cut it a little closer on airtran thru atlanta with only a 35 min layover....which also went off with no problems!!!! :)

Well, my thoughts are it is early morning flight (6am) ao there is actually a good chance it will make it on time. Anything else (including AirTran) is significantly more expensive or has 6hr layovers.

Thank you everyone who posted, I am still looking for that perfect flight :)

I must have terrible luck! :p EVERY SINGLE time I have flown in or out of Atlanta I've had at least a 3 hour delay if not up to a day of delay. I've missed connections, I've lost luggage, and for the last 2 cruises, I had to rent a car to drive to Ft.Lauderdale/Miami to get there in time...and yes, I ALWAYS fly the day before.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable with a 48 minute layover because most airlines will start allowing "stand by" passengers on at 30 minutes before the flight. But...I've never made one of my connections in Atlanta, so I can't say if 48 minutes is long enough...I usually end up hours late or flying out the next day :rolleyes:

But...I totally agree with your statements about AA...Man, it's a toss up!

Delta has treated us very badly in Atlanta with many missed connections over the years. 48 minutes is not enough for this old woman. The one and only time I've ever missed a cruise ship sailing (watched it sail away and wasn't allowed to board at the last minute) was due to a delay in Atlanta on Delta.

Do you feel lucky?

What date are you actually flying ? Nov 30 is the Sunday after Thanksgiving and airports will be a nightmare. If you are flying on Nov 29 it will not be so bad.

There are presently four flights daily from Atlanta to San Juan. If you want to get a feel for your options you may want to view seat availibility. I know I will get flamed for even mentioning it but you can do this on more search engines than Delta's.

We will be returning from a cruise disembarking in SJU on the 29th and fly through Atlanta on almost every flight we take. I would think twice about a 48 minute ground time on the 30th. Thanksgiving and Hartsfield-Jackson are not the best combo.

There are five concourses at ATL plus the gates on T [terminal] with the train connecting each. E concourse serves both international and domestic flights. Figure about 5 minutes from one concourse to the next. We have flown Delta to SJU from every one of the concourses so there is no way we could even begin to guess your ground and transit time. The escalators are midway on each concourse [except T] and the gates number 1 through 36. This may give you an idea of transit time.

Just another note...if you connect to a T gate and turn to the right at the top of the escalator instead of left you will be in the terminal and must either quickly turn around or reenter through security. It happens all of the time to travelers who are not familiar with the airport.

If you are considering flying down the day of your cruise you might want to rethink your plans. Only the 9:45 and 11 am flights will get you to SJU in time to catch the ship. My gut is also telling me that Delta will cancel one of its daily flights too during the next round of cuts which is rumored to be around Labor Day.

Good luck.

I think that tight connection in ATL is a recipe for disaster. You are talking about the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend which is one of the busier travel days of the year. You also need to factor-in that the end of November can pose weather problems adding to delays. And than, there is the "wonderful" baggage service in ATL (not a problem if you only have carry-on) which is like playing russian roulette with tight connections. We are also not big fans of AA, but than again we are not big fans of any US airline.

I wish I had an answer for Air Tran. I have never flown Air Tran but I have seen their fleet at both C and D gates. SJU flights are considered domestic for boarding purposes so they can ramp up anywhere. We just flew through ATL to Raleigh last month and flew out of E because the incoming flight was coming from the Dominican Republic connecting in ATL to RDU.

There are five concourses at ATL plus the gates on T [terminal] with the train connecting each. E concourse serves both international and domestic flights. Figure about 5 minutes from one concourse to the next. We have flown Delta to SJU from every one of the concourses so there is no way we could even begin to guess your ground and transit time. The escalators are midway on each concourse [except T] and the gates number 1 through 36. This may give you an idea of transit time.

Just another note...if you connect to a T gate and turn to the right at the top of the escalator instead of left you will be in the terminal and must either quickly turn around or reenter through security. It happens all of the time to travelers who are not familiar with the airport.

If you are considering flying down the day of your cruise you might want to rethink your plans. Only the 9:45 and 11 am flights will get you to SJU in time to catch the ship. My gut is also telling me that Delta will cancel one of its daily flights too during the next round of cuts which is rumored to be around Labor Day.

Good luck.

5 minutes from one terminal to the next ? Sorry but you make this sound like a piece of cake. If you came in terminal A gate 1 and your connections was terminal B gate 36, there is no way in the world you could get there in 5 minutes. You couldn't run and do this in 5 minutes. You couldn't even make it to gate 16 or 18, Once you get underground, wait a couple of minutes for a train, then take the train to the next terminal, could be 5 minutes. The train isn't so much the problem as the length of the terminals.

Glad you mentioned the terrible terminal T. :eek:

I am looking for flights from WAS (all DC area airports) to San Juan right after Thanksgiving for 11/30 cruise. So far I ahve narrowed it down to 2 options:

- Delta through ATL

- AA non stop

I personally dislike AA, so Delta is my first choice, even with stop. However, the best price itinerary gives me only 48 minutes to connect in ATL. I have never been to Delta terminal there, so I have no idea is this enough? Obviously, if it is in the different terminal or if you have to go through security than no.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

I would take the AA non stop any day.

... most airlines will start allowing "stand by" passengers on at 30 minutes before the flight.

Yes, but for this case, once they have checked-in at DCA, the are also checked in for the ATL - SJU leg. So, they just have to get to the gate in ATL 10 minutes before depart time (or is it 15 minutes now?)

Rich

Funny but I have sworn off Delta, however, if the airlines in the OP's situation were reversed I would probably relent. A non-stop is better than a connecting flight especially if there is little price difference.

Hi,:) well, I am another one with less than an hour connection

time.

My flight is the first one of the morning from Jacksonville to Atlanta.

Leaves here at 6:30am, arriving in ATL at 7:43am..my connection

leaves at 8:30am. The flight from JAX TO ATL is almost every day...

here to there.

Since it is the first flight of the day I am hoping we leave on time.

The next flight out of Altanta leaves at 9:30am but that was not

an option when I booked:rolleyes:....I would have taken that one.

My whole reason for picking this one was Delta had changed

my original flights (twice) and I wish I had just cancelled the

whole thing because Southwest offers what I need for less

money and a stop in Vegas with a 1.5 hour layover. Oh well.

I keep looking at my itinerary and it is now staying the same.

I have flown in and out of Atlanta many times and all I can do

at this point is hope we are on schedule.

I am actually flying on 28th (Friday after Thanksgiving), so if I miss this connection and have to wait, I'll still make the cruiseship. I hate flying day of the cruise, ANYTHING can go wrong :)

On the other note, AA non stop is tempting enough to lift my personal ban on AA, BUT couple weeks ago they have cancelled the non stop to San Juan, then reinstated it last week (or so). My point is I could end up with connected flight anyway, but on the airline I dislike.

I am actually flying on 28th (Friday after Thanksgiving), so if I miss this connection and have to wait, I'll still make the cruiseship. I hate flying day of the cruise, ANYTHING can go wrong :)

On the other note, AA non stop is tempting enough to lift my personal ban on AA, BUT couple weeks ago they have cancelled the non stop to San Juan, then reinstated it last week (or so). My point is I could end up with connected flight anyway, but on the airline I dislike.

Hi Nattie:) we all seem to have airlines we dislike and still

fly them;)

Archived