Idyllic Iberia Cruise

Hi all,

We are going on our first Thomson cruise this October On the Celebration,, just wondering if anyone has any tips about whether it is better to have waiter service or buffet meals. Also do I need to take a hairdryer and if I take hair tongs will they work.Any advice greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance.

Hello - welcome to the Thomson Board - full of enthusiastic Thomson travellers!!

Waiter service or buffet? Well, I'd give the main restaurant a try if I were you so that you can get a feel of whether you like it or not. On the Celebration it's open seating so you can go in at a time to suit yourself and will usually find other diners sharing your table (there are very limited tables for two) but don't be put off by that. We've met loads of lovely people at dinner - some we've met up with each evening and become friends. It can be very interesting sharing experiences and picking up tips from other passengers - we'd never have attempted going to Pompeii on our own without the help and encouragement of a fellow passenger met at dinner. The waiters in the reataurant are simply fantastic - so friendly and welcoming. For my money, they are a significant part of a great cruising experience - they sing and serenade passengers with birthdays etc. - they're great and make going to dinner a real pleasure. There's also a 'Baked Alaska' night when they do a parade - that's something else worth seeing. We've often gone to the same table each evening and had the same waiters just because they were such lovely people.

The main restaurant isn't at all stuffy - most people get changed for dinner and make a bit of an effort (smart trousers and tops are fine through to cocktail style dresses) and there's only one formal evening each week when the majority of men will wear DJs or suits and the women have the opportunity to get their glad rags on - if they wish. A shirt and tie is also acceptable but if you don't feel comfortable with that, then go to the buffet on that evening.

The food in the buffet is fairly similar to the main restaurant but they do have themed nights too e.g Indian which is popular. They put linen table cloths on the tables in the evening, also cutlery and glasses. There is waiter service for water and wine too so it's quite a civilised dining experience - unlike an American ship we've just travelled on where the buffet resembled a motorway service station!

It's really a matter of choice, but Thomson is fairly relaxed and most people enjoy the dining room - but you can mix and match to suit yourselves.

There are hair driers in the cabins and I took hair tongs which worked fine. I've a feeling its 110V though so you will need to check your tongs work on that Voltage. You will also need a European adaptor (at least I think I'm right - someone else will confirm that, I'm sure). We usually take an adaptor then a 4-way extension lead so that we can charge phones and camera batteries (and use my tongs) at the same time.

Enjoy your first cruise - I'm sure like many of us here, you'll be a convert. Celebration is my all time favourite too so I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Agree with above post- which was very precise and accurate! well done! Lol we are so freiendly and helpful here on this board!

Waiter service is something you should definitely experience- they are wonderful and food first class- entertain you too as mentioned above! But the Lido buffet is good too and for the evening they do dress it up a bit so its not like your usual buffet- enjoy your cruise and watch out...you WILL become addicted!

Thanks sobral :) but it is true - this is a really friendly and supportive board where people are happy to help and don't put others down or indulge in personal attacks.

We all ask questions that might seem silly from time to time - but then again we've all been new to cruising once upon a time and had no idea what to expect so how can any question be silly if you genuinely don't know the answer?

I hate it when people get very personal and/or condescending in their replies. There really isn't any need for it and everyone is entitled to their opinion and others have the right of reply - but there is a way to do it without being offensive. I can hardly believe some threads on other boards.

Cruising is such a pleasure to most of us and exchanging information, news and views is all part of the build up to a great holiday. Thanks to you all for the info and tips I've picked up - and let's carry on making sure the Thomson board reflects the friendly ships we love to travel on!!!!!

With regard to the tables for two of which there are not many this incident really annoyed me on our second night on the Celebration. We entered the restaurant looking for a cosy table for two and as we approached a table the steward told us that it was reserved, ok we went with that. However, we were told the same excuse on approaching two other tables. That did it for me, not a happy bunny and someone better have a damn good excuse why we couldn't have a table for two.

We had no option but to accept the excuse from the Maitre De who in his defence asked us to look for him the next night and he would look after us. We didn't want "looking after" or any favouritism just a plain old table for two, we love each others company, simple as that !

So if you are a couple and prefer a table for two, reserve early !!

Archived