Question for those of you cruising with children

the cruise is on

We just received our NCL cruise packet in the mail today. We will be cruising in September on the Pride of America. Our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter will be with us. I've just started reading the "Welcome Aboard" information. The phamphet indicates that everyone including children need a government issued photo ID. I had thought we would take her birth certificate, but I did not realize we would need a photo ID. I would love to hear from other's who have recently cruised with children - how did you resolve this?

Last time I went on a cruise and took my children we didn't need a Photo ID. My kids were 6 and 10 at the time and went on Pride of Hawaii cruise last year 6/07. Took my kids when they were babies and never had a Photo ID either. However, all that was needed for my children to board ship were certifiied official birth certificates with a raised seal and are U.S. citizens. Remember, it's prior to new Passport laws and only in U.S. territory also. Contact your local Travel agent or contact NCL.

I had that same concern after reading the Welcome Aboard packet for our cruise in June. I called NCL, who assured me that a passport was not needed since we weren't leaving the US. Both kids (ages 5 and 8) boarded with no problems using just the birth certificate. Have a great cruise!

You should be able to go to your license bureau and get a picture ID. Here in Indiana, the cost was under $10. My granddaughter got her first ID when she was four. It looks just like a driver’s license, but it’s a different color.

and they all had their own passports or drivers licenses. They did look at their ID, but in some of the ports my one daughter-in-law didn't carry the passports and they let them on. I agree with the other person who said to go to the DMV and get a photo ID. I just think it is better to have one. In some of the ports Security comes right on the vehicle and checks everything.

We just got back from Hawaii with our 7ds. We didn't need any id for him at all. We stayed within the U.S. and you don't need id for kids to fly.

Any questions about anything else with kids on the ship or in Hawaii? DS loved the stand up paddle surfing.

Thanks so much. I did call NCL, and was told that she did not have to have a photo ID, but they did suggest that we have one made up for her "in case we loose her while on the cruise."

HOpefully there will be enough of us to avoid loosing her (LOL), but we have decided to have a photo ID made for her.

We leave in 39 days - booked this trip in January - so it has been a long wait!

Thanks for all of your help.

Archived