Mr. Barbados-can You Help With Ideas Re Touring With 91yo Father?

theduffys

DH and I, along with my 91yo dad, will visit your island on Jan 4 from 9am till 4pm. Dad is healthy but cannot walk a great distance nor climb a lot of steps without becoming very tired. He loves beaches and I was thinking about Crane. Then I looked at the pictures and realized it is quite a hike down to the beach. I want him to have a great day (my mom died in May and this will be her birthday) so would appreciate any and all suggestions. Should we just get a taxi to drive us around? If we get to an easily accesable beach, are there changing rooms, food and drink and chair/umbrella rentals?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

DH and I, along with my 91yo dad, will visit your island on Jan 4 from 9am till 4pm. Dad is healthy but cannot walk a great distance nor climb a lot of steps without becoming very tired. He loves beaches and I was thinking about Crane. Then I looked at the pictures and realized it is quite a hike down to the beach. I want him to have a great day (my mom died in May and this will be her birthday) so would appreciate any and all suggestions. Should we just get a taxi to drive us around? If we get to an easily accessible beach, are there changing rooms, food and drink and chair/umbrella rentals?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-----------------------------------------------

Let’s figure five (5) hours clear time, yes?

If I was with my 91 year-old dad, here’s what I’d do:

I’d hire a taxi and first drive to Harrison’s Cave. There is a little walking (in short bursts with rest areas), but the cave tour is on a tram with a few walking breaks if you wish. I think you’d all like it, and I think he could do it.

Depending on how early you were able to get to the caves, one to one-and-a-half hours is gone.

Couple of options now….time is getting short…..

Just a drop-off at Folkstone Marine Park in Holetown (easy access from the cab, just a few dozen feet), changing facilities, food, drink, etc., and a decent, albeit semi-eroded beach). However the beach to the left and the right of Folkstone proper are quite nice and I think he’d be able to walk it. He could sit on the benches under the trees and you could do some snorkeling.

Option two: The Malibu Rum Factory tour. He might enjoy how the rum is made, a sample perhaps(?), food, gift shop, and quite a nice beach with showers, changing rooms, beach chairs with umbrellas, etc. Easy access with not too much walking. Modest cost and you’ll be able to see the ship from there. A US$8 taxi ride back in 10 minutes if you release your original taxi driver when you get to Malibu.. You could have a nice two-hour relaxing and fun time there.

The taxi driver’s know their island. They know the beaches and which are the easiest to access, so they may have another in mind and I would trust them.

Crane Beach is probably out unless you just go for lunch and sit in the A’zure restaurant overlooking the beach.

What do you think? Too mundane for your dad? Let me know and we’ll refine it.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm not going on this cruise, but am helping my 79 year old mom and brother with tours (I love to tinker on the internet). My brother wants to snorkel. He's never been to Harrison Caves. My mom has and she thought it was great. I've tried contacting Boyces Tours (twice), but I have not had a return reply. I'm trying to find a tour that includes just Harrison Caves and Folkstone. Any idea what a private guide or taxi driver would cost? Who else should I try to contact?

Thanks much for any info!

Caroline

WA state

Archived