Question regarding disembarkation

Hi everyone,

I am travelling with my Uncle from the USA. I have just learnt that he and my Aunt have to make a return flight out of Heathrow leaving 10.05. Ship apparently arrives 05.15.

1. Will he be able to make his flight?

2. Are there taxis waiting at the docks at that time?

2. For the rest of us travelling do we have to disembark at the same time or is there a latest disembarkation time?

Thanks for your help.

Disembarkation I believe starts around 6.30am.

Yes there are taxis at Southampton Port. It normally takes around 1 hr 45 mins to get to Heathrow but I have seen it take 3 hrs or more due to traffic problems.

Figure into that, 3 hours before flight for check in for International Flights then no sorry I would say your relatives have no chance of catching their 10.05am flight to USA :(

You can disembark later than relatives but normally the ship is cleared by around 9am.

Hi

I agree with Elizanessie, I am afraid... I would give your relatives a less than 1% chance of making their flight :(.

Although ships dock at about 5.15am, it is unlikely that disembarkation will happen much before 7am (it may start at 6.30am - at the earliest - but it may not start until 8am or even later). If all goes according to plan, I would expect 7am.

Assuming you are doing self-disembarkation (i.e. taking your own luggage), i would allow 20/30 minutes to leave the ship, get through the terminal and into the taxi. So, with no hold ups, they should be on their way by 7.30am.

How is your aunt expecting to transfer from the port to Heathrow? Taxi? Private trasfer.

Now 7am until 9am are rush hour. The Southampton docks are in the middle of the city. Heathrow is on the entrance to London (lots of people driving into London). So you will be heading out of Southampton and onto the motorways around/into London at the worst time... If you were hitting clear roads, I too would expect the journey to take 1 hour 45 minutes. Obviously weekends will be less busy than week days...

So assuming that you leave the port at 7.30am, that means reaching Heathrow at 9.15am (but I would be increabily surprised if it all goes that smoothly). Check with your aunt's airline, but most airlines state that you much check in between a MINIMUM of an hour to and hour and a half before departure. If you aunt is travelling business/first class or checking in online before ther flight, then she MAY be better off, but most airlines close check-in/"bag drop" an hour before the flight.

The only VAGUE hope of making the flight (I would still give the chances of about 1 to 2%) are:

- check-in online with the airline the day before the flight.

- being ready to SELF-disembark the MOMENT it is available.

- hoping that moment happens early (about 6.30am).

- getting through the terminal with NO hold-ups.

- having a taxi ($$$$$$) or private transfer ready or waiting the MOMENT she leaves the terminal.

- absolutely NO problems or hold-ups getting out of Southampton, on the motorways or into Heathrow.

- since she will have already checked-in online, dropping the bag at the bag drop and moving very quickly through the airport.

- hoping their are no hold-ups at security (again, if she is flying business or first, security may be quicker - they often have a dedicated channel).

If everything aligns, she has a very slim chance of making it. If any one thing doesn't, then... she will either have to hope that the airline accomodates her on the next flight (they don't have to - assuming she isn't on a flexible ticket) or will have a very expensive trip home... :(

If there is any way to book a later flight, then she should do that now.

Good luck

Boo

Thank you Liz and Boo.... much as I thought bearing in mind there will be customs and immigration to go through too I'm guessing (newbie here though they are experienced cruisers....) I have emailed him your response. Much appreciated. Love these boards!

Thank you Liz and Boo.... much as I thought bearing in mind there will be customs and immigration to go through too I'm guessing (newbie here though they are experienced cruisers....) I have emailed him your response. Much appreciated. Love these boards!

Yes, I haven't done customs & immigration at Southampton (and as a UK citizen they it probably wouldn't be as bad for me anyway). If they are first off of the ship, then the queues should be too bad and thesy should get through fairly quickly (Customs is normally non-existent, unless they don't like the look of you ;) ).

I think that I am being realistic and not too pesimistic. Good luck with it, though.

Boo

Yes, I haven't done customs & immigration at Southampton (and as a UK citizen they it probably wouldn't be as bad for me anyway). If they are first off of the ship, then the queues should be too bad and thesy should get through fairly quickly (Customs is normally non-existent, unless they don't like the look of you ;) ).

I think that I am being realistic and not too pesimistic. Good luck with it, though.

Boo

Sigh. Just got an email from them. Following my email to them they tried to change flights. Airline wanted $280 per pserson to change flights now :( . They are leaving the flights as is and will see if they can do something from here when they get here. Blah.

Archived