Cruising with Young Daughter?

mikil321

Hello! I need some "Good" advise here please? I am travelling with my 15 year old daughter soon on Imagination and we are " Not" taking Mom! Mom had a vacation this year in Europe so she does not want to come with us. My question is? Do I have too have some kind of permission form for my daughter to travel with me? We are doing the Eastern Carribean, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I do know that when a single parent travels to Mexico they do require a notary public from the other parent. Anyone have any suggetsion on this Much thanks in advance Mikil

When you travel to the Bahamas you have to have written documentation from the parent not in attendance that it's ok to take the child to the Bahamas. It also has to be notarized. (Now, I've done this 3 times with my children, but no one ever asked for the paper. But, I certainly would rather be safe than sorry.)

Yes, I would get your wife to sign a paper and always carry it with you. I do this every year when I cruise with my girls. My husband doesn't like to cruise, so it's always "just the girls". Be sure to have it notorized too. I agree with the above poster, I have never been asked to show mine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

Have a great time!!

I cruise without my husband (shhh....don't tell him all the fun he's missing! :p ;) ). I take our sons with us and I've always been told I need a notarized statement signed by my hubby stating that he's aware of and consents to my taking our sons out of the country. I've always taken one and NEVER been asked for it. This falls into the category of "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Thanks you everyone for your input and answers. I guess Id rather be safe than sorry right? One last question though? When you say notarized? Are you claiming a lawyer or someone qualified has to sign this type of document also? OR is it ust OK for my wife to write something up and sign it? Thanks again in advance Mikil

Thanks you everyone for your input and answers. I guess Id rather be safe than sorry right? One last question though? When you say notarized? Are you claiming a lawyer or someone qualified has to sign this type of document also? OR is it ust OK for my wife to write something up and sign it? Thanks again in advance Mikil

If I am not mistaken, Carnival has a form that you can use. I believe they sent it to some of the people in our last group who were in that situation If it wasn't Carnival then it must have been the travel agent, but I'm thinking it was Carnival. Call your PVP or TA and ask them if they have a form for this.

Cathy

You get it notarized by a Notary. Since you are married I would not think you would need permission but just in case you probably should get that permission slip. There is actually a form, some place online, that you can print out, take the the Notary and have it signed by your wife in front of her/him.

Have a wonderful cruise, enjoy this time with your daughter. They grow up very fast.

Hey folks, I just found this on the Carnival website!(below) Seems a notarized letter is "Only" needed when entering Mexico.Looks like I will only need a signed letter from my spouse seeing we are NOT going into a Mexican port. Thanks once again for everyones help and input. Much thanks Mikil

FROM THE CARNIVAL WEBSITE BELOW:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In the United States, a Notary Public is a person who has met certain standards of the state in which he/she conducts business and is commissioned by that state. He/she is, in effect, a professional witness. When you sign a document before a Notary, he/she will put his/her seal on it and state that this was done before them and they attest the signature is legitimate.

Most every bank will have a Notary who will do this for you. Your own bank will probably do it at no charge. If you have an attorney, the law office will also have a Notary, but they will, I am certain, charge for the service.

Doc

Hey folks, I just found this on the Carnival website!(below) Seems a notarized letter is "Only" needed when entering Mexico.Looks like I will only need a signed letter from my spouse seeing we are NOT going into a Mexican port. Thanks once again for everyones help and input. Much thanks Mikil

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

I would get it notarized... It costs about $5 and most banks can do it...;)

Well there you go. It is kinda sad that not one person on this board knew that LOL, but the you found it. At least now you know. Sometimes we just have to do a little homework.

Have a wonderful cruise with your daughter.

It might be a good idea to have it just in case bad weather causes the ship to change ports (a real possibility as we cruise in September).

Sol y Mar

I'm glad I saw this post! I will be sailing with 4 yr old ds sans dh in Oct. and will be stopping in Cozumel. I sure would not be very happy if they asked for some kind of letter and I didn't have one and trouble insued!:eek: Yikes!!!! This is a good thing to know. Thanks.

Happy Cruising :)

Barb

I found that what's printed on Carnival's website and what you are told when you CALL Carnival and speak to someone may be two different things. I was told by the TA that I did NOT need any kind of notarized letter - neither for my own minor son NOR for the 18 year old friend traveling with us. Was told by Carnival rep that I DID need a notarized statement for the friend and did NOT need one for my son. Then I read what is stated on Carnival's own site - as reprinted above. We stopped in Coz. I had the notarized statements for my son and for our friend and was never asked for either of them.

It's too easy to accomplish. You can type it up yourself. Here's a copy and paste of mine:

Consent for Travel

I, (husband's name), am the father of (kid's name). and hereby give my consent for my son to travel to Mexico aboard the Carnival Ecstasy with my wife, (my name). Travel to depart Galveston, Texas on June 28, and to return to Galveston on July 3.

(husband's signature - SIGNED IN THE NOTARY'S PRESENCE!)

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO BEFORE ME on this the ______ day of June, 2008, to certify which witness my hand and official seal.

NOTARY PUBLIC IN AND FOR

THE STATE OF TEXAS

My commission expires: ______________________

We always had to do the permission thing when traveling with 2 granddaughters but when the youngest was 15 they said we didn't really need it on the cruises since we flew domestic and the ship didn't require it.

I think once they reach 15 or 16 they pretty much know you are not going to steal a teen if they don't want to be with you. My daughter was divorced and was never able to get support from the ex, yet every year we had to get permission from him. Was so happy last year when we didn't need it.

But did have daughter write a note and add medical permission also.

Have a fun time

MOM

Well there you go. It is kinda sad that not one person on this board knew that LOL, but the you found it. At least now you know. Sometimes we just have to do a little homework.

Have a wonderful cruise with your daughter.

Peg! Was this reply you made to my post necessary??? I found you a little snotty by saying "Well there you go" "sometime we just have to do a little homework"

Please keep your snotty attitude to yourself and off this board please. This thread was intended to help myself and maybe others that may read it and it might help them also

Thanks you

Peg! Was this reply you made to my post necessary??? I found you a little snotty by saying "Well there you go" "sometime we just have to do a little homework"

Please keep your snotty attitude to yourself and off this board please. This thread was intended to help myself and maybe others that may read it and it might help them also

Thanks you

I didn't take it that way at all. It may just be the way she talks. Please don't take offense.

Thanks you

I took it Peg was shaking her finger at all of us BUT, you:D

I cruise without my husband (shhh....don't tell him all the fun he's missing! :p ;) ). I take our sons with us and I've always been told I need a notarized statement signed by my hubby stating that he's aware of and consents to my taking our sons out of the country. I've always taken one and NEVER been asked for it. This falls into the category of "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I'm another never been asked. Which is good because I didn't have one after the first time. I did have full leagal custody. I never would have been able to get one from the ex.

Thanks you

I think you completely misread Pegs post.. You left out her "LOL".. She was joking... sometimes the things we need to know are right there if we google them or go to the FAQs section of Carnival.. I sincerely doubt her post was anything then what it was... a light comment...:rolleyes:

And i dont know if this is something new or if it applies to cruises, but the State Dept website reads all minors regardless of age must have a passport

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

http://www.familytravelforum.com/articles/article/10545

Permission To Travel Letter

A consular officer at the U.S. Office of Children's Issues (888/407-4747) verified that today many countries require a Permission to Travel letter with parents' notarized signatures, plus identification for the child (certified birth certificate or passport), and that both are essential. Consular Information Sheets issued by the U. S. Department of State (which does not make these regulations) often carry this warning: "In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry/departure."

Such concerns apply not only to air and land travel, but to cruise travel as well. Carnival, for example, requires the notarized Permission to Travel Letter for any children debarking in Mexico, if only on a half-day shore excursion, so it's smart to check ahead with your cruise company. Mexican Consular Officer Hebe Cue advises, "In case of weather or other cruise delay, it's better if adults have the notarized permission letter. In any case, it is required for American minors entering Mexico by air, no matter how long their stay." At Royal Caribbean, an agent interviewed about Canada-bound cruises suggested single parents or other adults traveling with a minor carry notarized documentation, "to be on the safe side."

Monica Campbell of the Canadian Tourism Commission agrees. "Canadian customs officers, who are the primary line of inspection for visitors, may require a notarized statement from both parents when they find a child under 18 traveling alone or with other adults. All carriers, including air, sea and land, can be fined for bringing people into Canada without the proper documentation."

Click here for a sample "Permission To Travel" letter you can print out, fill in, and carry with you on all future international travels.

http://www.familytravelforum.com/assets/permissionletter.html

Hello! I need some "Good" advise here please? I am travelling with my 15 year old daughter soon on Imagination and we are " Not" taking Mom! Mom had a vacation this year in Europe so she does not want to come with us. My question is? Do I have too have some kind of permission form for my daughter to travel with me? We are doing the Eastern Carribean, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I do know that when a single parent travels to Mexico they do require a notary public from the other parent. Anyone have any suggetsion on this Much thanks in advance Mikil

Yes, you need a notorized letter from mom. Will they ask for it? Probably not, but make sure you have it...

Nita

Archived