SLR or Point and Shoot

Im and advanced ameture photographer, who has a pretty extensive collection of glass and an SLR. While part of me wants to bring my SLR and perhaps 2 lenses to get outstanding shots, the other part of me is terrified that Ill get sand in the camera or lens on an excursion. My mother has offered that I may take her A520 point and shoot, so I dont know what to do. Are there safes in the rooms of the Carnival Miracle? Maybe Ill take both.....the SLR for the ship and the point/shoot for excursions....

Take both, and just use common sense on when to take out the camera (you do need a good bag). I don't mind taking photos at the beach. However, if there's a strong wind, I might think twice. Certainly sand and salt water are bad, but if you're too careful, you'll never get the shots you want. It's up to you to balance the risk of damaging the camera with getting the good shot. I was standing in about 2 feet of saltwater when I took this.....

180819747_atbZ5-M.jpg

I agree, take both. I bought a good SLR system to get better shots, and if it gets a little wear and tear, well that's part of the game. Take a long some basic cleaning equipment and you should have no problem.

I don't know about safes on Carnival ships. The ones on Princess and Cunard were not large enough for big lens. Theft out of a cabin on a cruise ship is not one of my concerns.

IMHOP, the risk is worth the benefit of good pictures.

Agreed!

Take both. If you're an advanced amateur and have a DSLR, you bought it for a reason...image quality. Not using it is like buying a $1000 gold club set and not using them because they might get scuffed. A camera isn't a fashion accessory, it's a tool!

Take reasonable care and you will have no problem. Take a blower like the Giottos Rocket and a 1" camel-hair brush to dust off the outside and don't change lenses in risky conditions. If the wind is blowing hard enough to put your camera in danger of sand-blasting, I'm not sure you you would be out in it any way. If salt spray is a danger (rainy mist is no big deal as long as you don't push it too far), use a protective UV filter (or a polarizer it it's bright) and get a couple of OpTech rain sleeves and dress up the camera before you go out.

I protect my A700, but I don't baby it. I have a Tenba RC-14 rain cover for real rain and take precautions like covering the flash shoe if it's only misty. If it's windy and dusty, I'll ziploc the camera and seal a hole in the bag around the lens hood with gaffer's tape. For truly adverse conditions, I bought a waterproof housing for my little SD800.

Remember, the photo you take will always be better than the one you didn't take!:D

Dave

A friend on my last cruise left his DSLR behind, I don't know what he was thinking. You are off to the caribbean taking tours of beautiful vistas and NOT taking the camera that will take the best shots? I don't have a DSLR, but I would not leave my S3 IS behind in favor of my much cheaper Kodak compact, I know there would be many times that I wished that I had the better camera.

MAC

Archived