New Aqua Class Flyer

BethV114

We booked a regular cabin on the Equinox because we are unsure of the Blu menu. We always special order in the main diningroom. Generally speciality menus are set with very little opportunity to special order.

Look forward to hearing from those in Blu on how flexible the menu and whether one can special order.

Dining Venues – 10 total venues (4 specialty (SR), 6 non-specialty) *Required Reservation Charge

• Grand Epernay Dining Room – Dramatic two-story glass wine tower; Tihany-designed
  • Murano* – SR - Blend of classic and modern Continental cuisine
  • Blu – SR – “Clean cuisine;” designed exclusively for AquaClass guests (open to suites based on availability)
  • Silk Harvest Restaurant* – SR – Exotic Asian fusion cuisine
  • Tuscan Grille* – SR – Italian flair with steaks; Tihany-designed
  • Oceanview Café & Bar – open for breakfast, lunch & dinner w/ indoor/outdoor seating; Tihany-designed
  • Bistro on Five – CEL’s first onboard creperie; tableside service for lunch and dinner
  • Café al Bacio & Gelateria – Traditional gelatos/Italian ices (extra charge), pastries and specialty coffees
  • AquaSpa Café – Quick lighter fare in the soothing, airy tranquility of the Solarium
  • Mast Grill & Bar – Ultra-casual, poolside venue where fast and tasty items are grilled to order

How much do the specialty restaurants cost?

Subject: Specialty Dining

The Murano, RMS Olympic, SS United States, SS Normandie and Ocean Liners restaurants have a cover charge of $30 USD per person which includes a complete four-course meal. Beverage and Wine are offered at current menu prices. There is an option of ordering a six-course Menu Exceptionnel which includes wine with each course for an additional charge.

Tuscan Grille has a cover charge of $25 USD per person which includes a complete four-course meal including Appetizer, Soup or Salad, Entrée and Dessert. Beverages and wine are offered at current menu prices.

Silk Harvest has a cover charge of $20 USD per person, which includes the full menu including starters, entrees and desserts. Beverages and wine are offered at current menu prices.

I do not expect Blu to be nearly as nice as the Specialty restaurants on the the M class ships. It is going to be a bit more intimate than the MDR, a little different menu and maybe a little better service, but that's all I'm expecting. If we think it will be like the other specialty restaurants than I think we'll be a bit disappointed.

Yes, this is exactly how I see things. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Dining Venues – 10 total venues (4 specialty (SR), 6 non-specialty) *Required Reservation Charge

• Grand Epernay Dining Room – Dramatic two-story glass wine tower; Tihany-designed
  • Murano* – SR - Blend of classic and modern Continental cuisine
  • Blu – SR – “Clean cuisine;” designed exclusively for AquaClass guests (open to suites based on availability)
  • Silk Harvest Restaurant* – SR – Exotic Asian fusion cuisine
  • Tuscan Grille* – SR – Italian flair with steaks; Tihany-designed
  • Oceanview Café & Bar – open for breakfast, lunch & dinner w/ indoor/outdoor seating; Tihany-designed
  • Bistro on Five – CEL’s first onboard creperie; tableside service for lunch and dinner
  • Café al Bacio & Gelateria – Traditional gelatos/Italian ices (extra charge), pastries and specialty coffees
  • AquaSpa Café – Quick lighter fare in the soothing, airy tranquility of the Solarium
  • Mast Grill & Bar – Ultra-casual, poolside venue where fast and tasty items are grilled to order

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't seen this before. Last I knew, Blu was still considered an extra-charge specialty restaurant, charged at $30 for non-AC pax.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. The idea that it was going to be an extra charge for non-AC pax said to me that it was going to be special, better than the MDR, akin to their other outstanding specialty restaurants - I mean, how else could they justify charging extra for non-AC pax? There has to be justification for someone to spend that kind of money to dine there, and I assumed that the value was in the higher-quality dining experience.

Now that they don't even allow non-AC pax in there (other than suite guests), that leaves me a bit concerned. Why wouldn't they make it available to everyone else, if space is open? Why only suite pax? This leads me to believe that it might very well be rather empty in there some nights. With only 130 seats, all assigned to AC pax, and with so many other dining venues on the ship, I would imagine there are going to be an awful lot of empty seats as AC pax try out all the other venues. Are there that many suites on this ship, so that they think they'll fill it up with suite pax?

This certainly isn't enough to make me switch out of AC (especially since the prices have gone up so much since I booked, I would now be paying way more for a non-AC cabin!), but it kind of takes the sheen off AC to me. :(

Leejnd4-Blu is intended to be both a specialty restaurant as well as an exclusive one--a venue for Aqua Class pax, part of the ship-within-a-ship concept for Aqua Class. Many pax will like this environment and book it. However, if you wish to be surrounded by lots of people maybe the Main DR would be best.

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't seen this before. Last I knew, Blu was still considered an extra-charge specialty restaurant, charged at $30 for non-AC pax.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. The idea that it was going to be an extra charge for non-AC pax said to me that it was going to be special, better than the MDR, akin to their other outstanding specialty restaurants - I mean, how else could they justify charging extra for non-AC pax? There has to be justification for someone to spend that kind of money to dine there, and I assumed that the value was in the higher-quality dining experience.

Now that they don't even allow non-AC pax in there (other than suite guests), that leaves me a bit concerned. Why wouldn't they make it available to everyone else, if space is open? Why only suite pax? This leads me to believe that it might very well be rather empty in there some nights. With only 130 seats, all assigned to AC pax, and with so many other dining venues on the ship, I would imagine there are going to be an awful lot of empty seats as AC pax try out all the other venues. Are there that many suites on this ship, so that they think they'll fill it up with suite pax? :(

Leejnd4: I initially felt the same as you do about the change of policy on access to Blu. By removing the surcharge for non-AQ access it also removes the requirement for =X= to maintain the 'specialty' aspect of the venue. While it does reduce somewhat my expectations for Blu's service and food, over and above the fact that =X= continues to group Blu as a 'specialty' restaurant, I remain confident that it will be better than the MDR based on the points I mentioned in yesterday's post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15874757&postcount=44

When Blu was discussed some time ago on a different thread, the aspect of reservations for Blu came up. It seemed then like it would be a logistical nightmare for =X= to manage the few total tables in Blu when AQ pax hold standing reservations for every seat, and while at the same time there would be high demand from the MDR pax who would be competing for the few seats that might be open on any given night. I would like to believe that =X= thinks that most AQ pax will use Blu more often than not (as we intend ourselves) and that the time and effort it would take to manage the few seats that might be available was not worth the cost to them in terms of manpower as well as the MDR pax's disappointment in not being able to book a table.

Leejnd4-Blu is intended to be both a specialty restaurant as well as an exclusive one--a venue for Aqua Class pax, part of the ship-within-a-ship concept for Aqua Class. Many pax will like this environment and book it. However, if you wish to be surrounded by lots of people maybe the Main DR would be best.

I think you misinterpreted my comments expressing concern about the possibility of empty seats in Blu. My issue is not that I "wish to be surrounded by lots of people". In fact, one of the draws of Blu for me is the fact that it IS so small - I much prefer that environment over dining with thousands, as in the MDR. That's one of the reasons I chose AC to begin with. Further, there's the hope that Blu will be cooking to order for its small audience, rather than pumping out several thousand of the same meals, as in the MDR.

My concern is that Blu is now no longer charging for non-AC pax - and in fact, doesn't even allow non-AC pax in it (other than suite guests). In that regard, it is entirely different from all the other specialty restaurants. I'm not even sure that it should be referred to as a "specialty restaurant", as it's the only one that doesn't charge a premium.

It was the fact that I was basically saving $60 a night in specialty-restaurant charges every night I ate there that was a big selling point for AC. Now that is no longer the case. That, to me, lessens its value. Also, as I stated earlier, the fact that they WERE charging extra from everyone else to eat there led me to believe that the food would be particularly special, to the same degree that it is in the other for-charge specialty restaurants, so that other pax would feel they are getting something for their money other than just sitting in a different room. Now they don't charge, so I can't help but think that the food won't be any more "special" than the MDR.

I hope that this has clarified my concerns a little better. Again, I'm not moving out of AC - but its value, to me, is reduced.

Are there Specialty Restaurants on all Celebrity Cruise Line ships?

No. The following table service Specialty Restaurants are available on the ships listed below:

Celebrity Century: Murano Restaurant

Celebrity Millennium: The RMS Olympic Restaurant

Celebrity Infinity: SS United States Restaurant

Celebrity Summit: SS Normandie Restaurant

Celebrity Constellation: Ocean Liners Restaurant

Celebrity Solstice: Murano Restaurant

Celebrity Solstice: Tuscan Grille

Celebrity Solstice: Silk Harvest Restaurant

No. The following table service Specialty Restaurants are available on the ships listed below:

Celebrity Solstice: Tuscan Grille

Well, that pretty much confirms it - Blu is no longer listed as a "specialty restaurant" on Solstice Class. That bums me out. :(

CelebritySolstice: Tuscan Grille

Can I ask where you got the above list? Blu is still listed as specialty restaurant on http://celebritysolstice.com/#/dining/ :confused:

Well, that pretty much confirms it - Blu is no longer listed as a "specialty restaurant" on Solstice Class. That bums me out. :(
True, it's not a specialty restaurant in the sense that pax can make a reservation, pay $30pp and have an exceptional meal. Think of it more as an exclusive restaurant that only AC pax can enjoy an exceptional meal. As long as the food and service is at par with the other "specialty" restaurants then I don't see this as a negative. In fact, maybe it will be better than the other "specialty" restaurants :D . Just my .02

True, it's not a specialty restaurant in the sense that pax can make a reservation, pay $30pp and have an exceptional meal. Think of it more as an exclusive restaurant that only AC pax can enjoy an exceptional meal at. As long as the food and service is at par with the other "specialty" restaurants then I don't see this as a negative. In fact, maybe it will be better than the other "specialty" restaurants :D . Just my .02

True, it's not a specialty restaurant in the sense that pax can make a reservation, pay $30pp and have an exceptional meal. Think of it more as an exclusive restaurant that only AC pax can enjoy an exceptional meal. As long as the food and service is at par with the other "specialty" restaurants then I don't see this as a negative. In fact, maybe it will be better than the other "specialty" restaurants :D . Just my .02

Zacky, all I can do at this point is hope that you are right. I can't help but think, though, that now that there is no up-charge for non-AC pax to dine there, the likelihood that the food and service will be on par with the other specialty restaurants seems way lower.

Like so many other things to do with Solstice Class, we'll just have to wait and see!!!! :o

Zacky, all I can do at this point is hope that you are right. I can't help but think, though, that now that there is no up-charge for non-AC pax to dine there, the likelihood that the food and service will be on par with the other specialty restaurants seems way lower.

Like so many other things to do with Solstice Class, we'll just have to wait and see!!!! :o

I know what you're saying but there is no up-charge because non-AC pax can't participate. I think Celebrity has made it exclusive so that pax who want to take advantage of the Blu dining experience will have to purchase AC cabins; that's where the up-sell is. I suppose we will be better informed after the 1st cruise reports are in.

Are you planning on going to any of the "specialty" restaurants so that you can make a comparison? I can only go by past experience but I will know after the 1st night if the value is there or not.

As a side note, do you have any idea if Blu will be assigned seating and times or will it be "open"?

[/size]

Can I ask where you got the above list? Blu is still listed as specialty restaurant on http://celebritysolstice.com/#/dining/ :confused:

Sure. It is under FAQ on speciality dining. Here it is:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00000KpbvtxRc0jAgkE_cafcPau:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3363&pagename=faq_answers

I know what you're saying but there is no up-charge because non-AC pax can't participate. I think Celebrity has made it exclusive so that pax who want to take advantage of the Blu dining experience will have to purchase AC cabins; that's where the up-sell is. I suppose we will be better informed after the 1st cruise reports are in.

Are you planning on going to any of the "specialty" restaurants so that you can make a comparison? I can only go by past experience but I will know after the 1st night if the value is there or not.

As a side note, do you have any idea if Blu will be assigned seating and times or will it be "open"?

I hear ya - and I remain optimistic. :) Hey, even if it's only on a par with the MDR, it's still gonna be an awesome cruise - it just would mean that AC won't be quite as worth it to me as I'd thought it would be.

In any case (and to answer your question), we actually plan on eating in the other specialty restaurants at least half the time anyway. We got a nice fat OBC from our TA, and we intend to use most of it for the specialty restaurants. That's because Celebrity is so well known for its specialty restaurants being some of the best dining on the planet, not just at sea! I actually have yet to experience a Celebrity specialty restaurant myself (I've only been on Mercury). But I've read dozens of reviews of them, and scanned the menus, and if the Solstice Class specialty restaurants are anywhere on par with the ones on their other ships, I'm sure they will be spectacular. So I intend to avail myself of them as often as possible. :)

To answer your other question about Blu, I'm clearly not the best person to answer these questions as I still thought that Blu was open to other pax for $30! But my understanding is that it operates the same as the MDR - assigned seating, two seating times.

I also have read that they will have the same dress code as the MDR, meaning that formal night will be formal in Blu as well. I've read a few questions about that, but I certainly HOPE that Blu will have formal night. It doesn't really make sense to me for it NOT to have it, as it would be formal night everywhere else on the ship, and formal wear is expected in the theatres etc. - and if it didn't have it in Blu, then that would basically be eliminating formal night for all AC pax (unless they make reservations in another venue). And I would think that something like that would be publicized, or at least noted in their flyers and other marketing material.

You're right, it's all wait and see. But, the way I see this is if Blu is exclusively for AQ pax and open to suite pax if available, you can view the "up-charge" as the difference in cabin rates between the AQ and a suite. ;)

You're right, it's all wait and see. But, the way I see this is if Blu is exclusively for AQ pax and open to suite pax if available, you can view the "up-charge" as the difference in cabin rates between the AQ and a suite. ;)

The question is why suite pax would want to eat at Blu if there was no compelling reason either for better food or service than the MDR? IMO =X= would not open Blu to suite pax unless there was something appealing about it to their higher paying pax. This just heightens the exclusiveness of the venue for AQ pax.

The question is why suite pax would want to eat at Blu if there was no compelling reason either for better food or service than the MDR? IMO =X= would not open Blu to suite pax if unless there was something appealing about it to their higher paying pax.

OooooKAY! And there's a new way for me to think about it - increasing my optimism again! Excellent point. :)

Oh, these mental games that I play with myself...I just wish the damn cruise would GET here already!

The question is why suite pax would want to eat at Blu if there was no compelling reason either for better food or service than the MDR? IMO =X= would not open Blu to suite pax unless there was something appealing about it to their higher paying pax. This just heightens the exclusiveness of the venue for AQ pax.

Amen, that's exactly what I meant with different wording. ;)

Archived