Crown Bay to Red Hook and back

mikeythemars

We've been to St. Thomas before and done the cab to Red Hook, ferry to St. John and back thing. But always from the Havensight piers.

This time our Princess cruise is docking at Crown Bay. I'm curious as to cab availability to and from Red Hook when your ship is there. There are two other cruise ships in St. Thomas that day and between them and our ship you have a little over 10,000 passengers. So demand for cabs should be healthy but not obscene like it is when 6-7 ships are in St. Thomas simultaneously.

My questions:

- Will there be a decent number of cabs when we disembark at Crown Bay? If so, will there be the usual dynamic of cabbies trying to quickly herd parties onto the van-type vehicles and if so, will many be heading to Red Hook? Or are most going to be heading to town?

- On the return leg later in the day, how tough will it be to find a cab that will take us to Crown Bay vs. Havensight? Asking because in a prior visit back in 1999 we did have some issues getting a cab that was willing to go the particular area where our ship was docked.

Any insight appreciated!:D

I know their are plenty of the open air taxi's at Crown bay. They were taking peo0ple everywhere-beaches, Red Hook etc. As far as arriving back in Red Hook there shouyld be a taxi there. I would suggest asking the driving to be back at a certain time anbd give him an extra tip. I never had a problem with that.

I know their are plenty of the open air taxi's at Crown bay. They were taking peo0ple everywhere-beaches, Red Hook etc. As far as arriving back in Red Hook there shouyld be a taxi there. I would suggest asking the driving to be back at a certain time anbd give him an extra tip. I never had a problem with that.

Elbon, thanks - the idea of giving the outbound cabbie a nice tip while asking him to be around Red Hook at a specific later time is a good one. If I recall properly, even though the the ferries from Cruz Bay to Red Hook depart on a published schedule (hourly from 6am to 11:00pm) and are supposed to take 15 to 20 minutes that is "approximate." So I guess I should I should set a return time with with the outbound cabbie based on allowing leway for the ferry (ergo, state will will definitely be taking the 1pm ferry from Cruz Bay and get him to agree on what a realistic pickup time in Red Hook for that arrival is -- he should know).

Also, how long approximately is the ride from Crown Bay to Red Hook? If I recall for Havensight depending on traffic it's 15-20 minutes.

Archived