Transportaion to Manhatten Pier from Newark

SunLover05

Looking for air for our October NCL Jewel cruise. NCL offers transfers from Laguardia only. It is much less expensive for us to fly into Newark. What is the best way to get to the pier?

Sorry, it is my first time to New York City and I'm not familiar with anything.

Here's one thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639556&highlight=newark+bus+manhattan

There are many best ways to get to the pier. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much you want to deal with your luggage.

The simplest most cost effective way may be the bus to Port Authority and cab to the dock. The round trip bus is $25.00 per person from Newark Airport. The advantage is that you put your luggage on the bus and take it off in NY. Port Authority is luggage friendly as long as you can roll it.

You can also take the train or the train, Path, and the subway.

And there's always a cab or a limo.

Any idea the cost of a cab?

The instructions on your link sounded a bit confusing to me.

$75??? + toll and tip= about $100 each way. AND you have to find a taxi driver that will take you. NJ taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you into NYC. It becomes a negotiation. With the price of gas, most will want to charge for both ways as they are not allowed to pick up pax in NYC.

There are various car services. But the cost will still run at least $80.00 with tip.

To fly into/out of Newark and cruise out of NYC, you MUST save AT LEAST $100.00 per person on air to be ahead of the game.

I don't know the cost of a cab, but I'm sure someone else will. The bus should be easy. They would pick up at the airport terminal and leave you off at Port Authority bus terminal (40th & 8th Ave). The pier is not far and a taxi should be $10-15 at most.

NW flies into White Plains from Grand Rapids with one stop in Detroit at almost 1/2 price of flying into EWR, LGA or JFK. $250 vs $ 425 for either the nonstops or one stoppers on Delta, AA, NW or Continental into EWR or LGA. White Plains is in NY state.

Continental flying into EWR vs Delta or American flying into LGA is only about $15.00 difference. Sure wouldn't be worth it to fly into EWR.

SuperShuttle runs from White Plains to NYC, as does Carmel limo and others. Would be MUCH cheaper flying into White Plains and taking a shuttle than flying into EWR and taking a taxi.

$75??? + toll and tip= about $100 each way. AND you have to find a taxi driver that will take you. NJ taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you into NYC. It becomes a negotiation. With the price of gas, most will want to charge for both ways as they are not allowed to pick up pax in NYC.

There are various car services. But the cost will still run at least $80.00 with tip.

To fly into/out of Newark and cruise out of NYC, you MUST save AT LEAST $100.00 per person on air to be ahead of the game.

Its my understanding that Taxi's at EWR MUST take you to Manhattan for a fixed fee

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html#manhattan

going back from Manhattan to EWR they also must take you for meter plus $15.00(this is the fee to get back into NY city not a tip) plus round trip.tiolls and tip

http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

Its my understanding that Taxi's at EWR MUST take you to Manhattan for a fixed fee

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html#manhattan

going back from Manhattan to EWR they also must take you for meter plus $15.00(this is the fee to get back into NY city not a tip) plus round trip.tiolls and tip

http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

It is my understanding that ONLY cabs DISPATCHED by the taxi dispatcher HAVE to take you to Manhattan, but NOT for a fixed fee. The website you posted even states $50-75, depending on destination. That price does not include tip and tolls. There are many cabs that transit EWR that are NOT dispatched by the taxi dispatcher nor do they have airport medallions. But they are there-sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive. A three hour return trip to NYC is generally a money LOOSING proposition.

But any way you look at it, you have to save CONSIDERABLY on airfare into EWR to make an EWR flight and a Manhattan/Brooklyn cruise departure a realistic, money saving combination.

But any way you look at it, you have to save CONSIDERABLY on airfare into EWR to make an EWR flight and a Manhattan/Brooklyn cruise departure a realistic, money saving combination.

I don't disagree but the cabs lined up at EWR must take you(these are the ones that are dispatched) to NYC and the NY cabs back have to as well....

I thought it was illegal for a NJ cab to pick up at the airport without a airport medallion...

yes the fixed fare is by destination...and the tolls from EWR to Manhattan are about $12.00 round trip...(the tunnel is 8 one way its free the other way and the NJ Turpike from EWR to Manhattan is about $2.00 each way for a car). Its the same tolls for the cab from Manhattan....should tips be added for tolls and the fixed fee(15.00) not by me but I normally tip about 20% anyway...

I don't disagree but the cabs lined up at EWR must take you(these are the ones that are dispatched) to NYC and the NY cabs back have to as well....

I thought it was illegal for a NJ cab to pick up at the airport without a airport medallion...

yes the fixed fare is by destination...and the tolls from EWR to Manhattan are about $12.00 round trip...(the tunnel is 8 one way its free the other way and the NJ Turpike from EWR to Manhattan is about $2.00 each way for a car). Its the same tolls for the cab from Manhattan....should tips be added for tolls and the fixed fee(15.00) not by me but I normally tip about 20% anyway...

From the PANYNJ web site: http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_taxi_rates.html

From Newark Airport to:

New York City / Manhattan

Conveying one (1) or more passengers to any one point in New York City, Excluding Tolls.

Battery -- West 58th Street.....$40.00

West 35th Street -- West 58th Street.....$45.00

West 59th Street -- West 109th Street.....$50.00

West 110th Street -- West 185th Street.....$55.00

Above 185th Street.....$60.00

LaGuardia Airport.....$65.00

J.F.K. Int'l. Airport.....$75.00

Additional $5.00 charge for all destinations on the east side of Manhattan between Battery Park and 185th Street.

Tolls are $8 for the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel and 2x$1.15 from Exit 14 to Exit 14C (Holland Tunnel) on the NJ Turnpike.

The Cruise terminal is West 48th to West 52nd Street on 12th Ave.

From the PANYNJ web site: http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_taxi_rates.html

From Newark Airport to:

New York City / Manhattan

Conveying one (1) or more passengers to any one point in New York City, Excluding Tolls.

Battery -- West 58th Street.....$40.00

West 35th Street -- West 58th Street.....$45.00

West 59th Street -- West 109th Street.....$50.00

West 110th Street -- West 185th Street.....$55.00

Above 185th Street.....$60.00

LaGuardia Airport.....$65.00

J.F.K. Int'l. Airport.....$75.00

Additional $5.00 charge for all destinations on the east side of Manhattan between Battery Park and 185th Street.

Tolls are $8 for the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel and 2x$1.15 from Exit 14 to Exit 14C (Holland Tunnel) on the NJ Turnpike.

The Cruise terminal is West 48th to West 52nd Street on 12th Ave.

I am fairly sure the numbers listed are out dated. But to the NY Cruise terminal most cab drivers take the turnpike to the Lincoln tunnel...its more than you have listed. In fact 1-9 from EWR to the Holland Tunnel is shorter normally less traffic and no toll....

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Newark in Oct and just booked with Go Airlink. There will be 3 of us and 6 luggage, it will cost us $66. one way. I was going to do the taxi thing, but with all that luggage it better not be a little taxi!:eek:

Hope this helps,

Happy cruising, Pam

Archived