Suggestions for repeat trip to Naples area

We will be landing at Naples for 12 hours on 2 of June. We have had 2 previous trips here and have explored Pompeii and had the Amalfi Coast Tour - including Amalfi, Sorento, etc.

So we want something a little different. I have the same taxi driver booked and he is willing to take us anywhere. My problem is that I don't know where to tell him we want to go! We really don't want to repeat the towns - although lovely they were packed with people.

I was hoping that some of you have had some custom trips in this area that don't duplicate what we have done. Maybe a trip north including some small untouristy towns? A wine-tasting? I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thanks,

Carol

If you haven't been to Capri, I would go there. Or you could go to Ischia "the other island" (I haven't been there, but have heard good things about it).

Another suggestion would be go up to Ravello.

Elin

Brahmama:

You say you have booked the same taxi driver that you used during 2 previous visits to Naples? You must be pleased with him - would you / can you share his name and how I might get in touch with him? DH and I have also done most of what there is to do while ship is in Naples - and would love to have a recommendation for a reliable taxi driver to do something different. We'll be doing the 5/15/05 Millie, Barcelona to Venice.

Thanks for any info you would be willing to share re your driver......and I'll second Capri!

Our last stop in Naples, DH and I decided to walk as far as possible - from the ship into the "city".... fortunately we didn't realize what a dicy plan that was until after we returned to the ship that evening.....the area around the pier was tough - however, many blocks in we found ourselves in a true "Italian" neighborhood, i.e., no English, no credit cards or US currency....but, thanks to a wonderful shopkeeper (who didn't speak a word of English), we found the BEST pizza Naples had to offer (and my, did the wine flow!) - and it all made for a wonderful memory - however, we just don't want to repeat!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

No kidding, I am seeing if there is a way to combine Casserta (what a gorgeous place!) and Ravello and maybe if time permits a trip to Paestum with its Greek Temples. All 3 ideas sound wonderful and of course Capri depends on the weather.

pooh bear,

I'd be glad to share my contacts. Actually the 1st time we took the Amalfi coast tour with Marcello. Last year we were picked up by Rino who took us to Pompeii and then back through Naples (where the Nat'l museum was closed, alas) where it rained a good bit. I don't have the email of Rino handy, but email me at Brahmama@yahoo.com and I'll find it for you.

We were there in May this year. We had been to Pompei in 2002 and liked it but Carpi was outstanding. We took the ship tour, $120 US I believe, and it included everything, including a fantastic lunch with lots of wine. We saw so much and took many different modes of transport, including the 50 minute ferry to and from but also buses, cable cars, etc.

The scenery is just outstanding and yes, it gets crowded but it definitely is worth the effort. Of course we had perfect weather so that helped.

Johanna

just got back from naples on the regatta and visited 2 different towns with much to offer. first we went to the palace in caserta that would rival versailles ( about an hour drive from naples) then we went to herculaneum, "the other pompeii". it has much better preservation than pompeii and can be walked at a leisurly pace on your own as it is much smaller than pompeii. i think these 2 would give you a nice blend without going crazy to cover too much in one day. enjoy!

We have used Salvatore of DriveAmalfi (*****) twice out of Naples and in my opinion he is undoubtably the best driver and guide in the area. On our second tour we spent a whole day around Amalfi and Ravello and I really recommend a visit to Ravello especially to experience the views from the Villa Cimbrone. We have done Capri by ourselves also ,however it can tend to get a bit overcrowed. Caserta is also a place I am on planning on visiting.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

No kidding, I am seeing if there is a way to combine Casserta (what a gorgeous place!) and Ravello and maybe if time permits a trip to Paestum with its Greek Temples. All 3 ideas sound wonderful and of course Capri depends on the weather.

pooh bear,

I'd be glad to share my contacts. Actually the 1st time we took the Amalfi coast tour with Marcello. Last year we were picked up by Rino who took us to Pompeii and then back through Naples (where the Nat'l museum was closed, alas) where it rained a good bit. I don't have the email of Rino handy, but email me at Brahmama@yahoo.com and I'll find it for you.

May I email also? I have a couple questions about Naples port for our winter cruise to med. TIA!

I would also suggest a visit to Herculaneum if you enjoy archeology and history. Your taxi driver can drop you off at the gates and park at a public parking lot right down the street.

Another place to visit in Naples itself is the museum of Archeology which is where most of the really good finds from both Pompeii and Herculaneum are actually exhibited. The frescos alone would be worth the visit but there are many other artifacts that are worth seeing also.

Be sure to have your guide take you to one of the residental areas on the coast that allow you to take pictures of the Bay of Naples and if the visibility is good even Capri as well as great pictures of the Volcano looming over it all.

Have a great next cruise.

wwinfl91: We're on the same cruise as Carol (original poster). My husband and I have been to Pompeii which we loved and want to go to Herculaneum and the Naples Archaeology Museum this time.

It sounds like you are suggesting that the taxi waits while we are at Herculaneum? What would you suggest as far as the taxi? Pre-arrangements before departing US? Wait at Herculeum then take us to museum or are taxis easy to get everywhere? Is the train a viable option? How long should we plan on spending at Herculaneum and museum? We (or at least I) would be quite content to spend a minimum of 1 day up to 3 days at Pompeii, as an example.

Sorry for so many questions. Just getting excited about the cruise and being able to go to Herculaneum and the museum!

When we were there last summer on the Golden my wife and I joined 6 others and had a van and a driver who took us to Pompeii in the morning, then to Herculaneum after our visit to Pompeii, then we went to the museum and spent the last part of the day visiting some of the neighborhoods that allowed us to get some great views and pictures of the Bay of Naples. We spent about 2 hours in Herculaneum and I could have spent a whole half a day or more but we were trying to do as much as we could with our time in Naples. You could easily spend a full day there if you are in to history and archeology although the site is a lot smaller than Pompeii but it is so much better shape you really get the feeling you could run into some Romans in their togas around any corner.

Again we arranged to spend 2 hours at the museum and my wife and I could have spent more time. We didn't even get to see all the Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibits during that time and we were trying to move pretty fast.

If these are things that interest you I suspect you could split a day doing the two of them especially if you stop for a short lunch inbetween.

There are trains that run between Naples and Amalfi Coast that stop in both Pompeii and Ercolano, the modern city that is built over the ruins of Herculaneum. I don't know how hard it would be to get from the ship to a train station and what the schedules are like but maybe someone else on the forum can help you with that. The Museum of Archeology is in the center of the city of Naples somewhere. Again maybe someone else can explain how to get to it from the train station if that is what you decide to do.

Another option would be to see if you can find some others who might want to do a similar tour who are also on your cruise, through the cruise critic roll call site and then arrange with one of the local companies to get a van and a driver to handle your transportation. I will try to find the company we used and post it if I find it.

Have a great next cruise.

wwinfl91: In September 2003, we climbed Mt. Vesuvius (part bus, part climb) and then went to Pompeii both with the ship shore excursion. It was like torture for me when we needed to leave Pompeii after being there just 2 hours. I vowed that someday I will go back there for 2-3 days. We will probably take your suggestion about 4 hours or so at Herculaneum and at least several hours at the museum mainly concentrating on just the Pompeii & Herculaneum exhibits. I'm not sure anyone from the rollcall will want to spend as long as we do, but I can check when we iron out our plans a little more.

My train idea is probably not a good one -- too time consuming and the last time in Italy (May 2004), there was a train strike!

Your suggestions are very helpful and I appreciate the time you took to post and the information you provided.

wwinfl91: One more question. At Pompeii, the sites are numbered (little plaques). From vendors right at Pompeii, a person can buy a Pompeii book with the corresponding numbers and explanations of each site/structure. Do you know if the structures at Herculaneum are numbered and if vendors at Herculaneum sell the same type of books containing the corresponding numbers and descriptions. Thanks again, Kathy

We will be visiting Naples aboard the Brilliance next October, and I had a question similar to this one....we've never been to Amalfi, but our travelmates have and would like to see Capri this time. If you could only choose one, which would you recommend? And do you think Capri will be less crowded in October than in the summer months? Thanks for any inputs!

While in the area of Caserta, you may want to see a three-tiered Roman aquaduct. It is near the town of Maddaloni. I was quite impressed by the sheer size of it. It was done before modern machinery and one wonders how they did it

Fran

May I email also? I have a couple questions about Naples port for our winter cruise to med. TIA!

Hi Almitra,

So sorry that I missed this post - I hadn't been checking back very carefully.

Certainly you can email me with any questions - I've only been there twice and am not an authority, but I do have my experience to draw from!

Carol

We will be visiting Naples aboard the Brilliance next October, and I had a question similar to this one....we've never been to Amalfi, but our travelmates have and would like to see Capri this time. If you could only choose one, which would you recommend? And do you think Capri will be less crowded in October than in the summer months? Thanks for any inputs!

This is such a difficult post because of all the possibilities but I would have to say to go to the Amalfi coast first. And then just plan to come back!

Our first cruise, we did the long and gorgeous Amalfi coast, but we had friends who had opted for Capri (ship's tour) and the waters were rough and many were sick over the railing. She said after that things were ok, but do be aware that the seas can be rough.

I think that I would have an alternative plan if I were going to make Capri my 1st priority - and if the weather doesn't cooperate you can use that and not have a ruined day.

You will love this area of Italy!

If you haven't been to Capri, I would go there. Or you could go to Ischia "the other island" (I haven't been there, but have heard good things about it).

Another suggestion would be go up to Ravello.

Elin

We went to Capri this past August and would go back in a heartbeat. Absolutely B E A U T I F U L!!! It's worth a second visit, without a doubt. :D

drink4.gif

Got a train from Pompeii this year from Naples railway station. They run very regularly and was very cheap. It does stop on its route to Pompeii at Herculaneum though - would have done it but was too shattered after spending HOURS at Pompeii

Archived