Woodbridge, Newark to Cape Liberty

Hope2havefun

Just wondered if any of you locals out there knew how far it is from Woodbridge, Newark to the port at Cape Liberty.

Its just that I can get a good deal at the Sheraton at Woodbridge and thought it might be quicker/easier to stay there than in Manhattan. Obviously it would be great to stay down town but taxis etc out of there to the port I expect would be quite expensive. Also, think its only about 30 mins on the train to get into Manhattan if we wanted a day there before we cruise.

Thanks.

Woodbridge should be no more than 30 minutes from Bayonne. However, I pulled up the directions on Mapquest and they send you up Route 1 to 278 across to Staten Island, and then up 440 across back into Bayonne. I'm not sure that would be my preferred route.

You should consider getting on the NJ turnpike north at exit 13 and following the RCI directions to the port via exit 14 to exit 14a. You don't save enough time or mileage to warrant spending the big bridge toll to go to Staten Island and back to Bayonne.

Train to NY should be no problem - look at Metropark. Also, what days of the week will you be doing this.

Hi thanks!

We shall be arriving on a Weds I think, but wont have a car as will be coming from either JFK or Newark airport so we will be looking at getting a taxi to the hotel, and then a taxi from the hotel to the port, so just looking at all the options of where to stay. We will have a couple of days before the cruise so want to go or stay in Manhattan, but I know its really expensive, and also, bad traffic getting out of there in a cab to the port I guess!

Really kind of you to look at map for me!

Woodbridge would just be a pain all the way around, IMHO. Multiple connections to get into Manhattan, the time involved, taxi fee to the port. Woodbridge is very much a "bedroom" community, so not a lot to do.

The Sheraton in Meadowlands (as well as many other hotels in the area) and the Jersey City hotels (3* and above) can usually be booked on Hotwire or Priceline for less than $150.00. EASY transit from either place into Manhattan for sightseeing. Bus from the Sheraton, PATH from Jersey City.

Hi thanks!

We shall be arriving on a Weds I think, but wont have a car as will be coming from either JFK or Newark airport so we will be looking at getting a taxi to the hotel, and then a taxi from the hotel to the port, so just looking at all the options of where to stay. We will have a couple of days before the cruise so want to go or stay in Manhattan, but I know its really expensive, and also, bad traffic getting out of there in a cab to the port I guess!

Really kind of you to look at map for me!

You would be insane to get a NYC Yellow Taxi from JFK to take you to Woodbridge, NJ. 1st, they don't have to take you. Second if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if the fare was $250.

What price range is the hotel? Have you looked at Jersey City hotels?

Hi

I get a really good rate at the Sheraton at Woodbridge as I am a flight attendant and we stay there when I am working (not sure exactly what it is but its a discounted rate). Though from the other answers about staying there think we will give it a miss. Will look at Jersey City hotels. Thanks :)

You would be insane to get a NYC Yellow Taxi from JFK to take you to Woodbridge, NJ. 1st, they don't have to take you. Second if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if the fare was $250.

Thinks we will definitely give that a miss then!! Thanks.:)

Woodbridge would just be a pain all the way around, IMHO. Multiple connections to get into Manhattan, the time involved, taxi fee to the port. Woodbridge is very much a "bedroom" community, so not a lot to do.

The Sheraton in Meadowlands (as well as many other hotels in the area) and the Jersey City hotels (3* and above) can usually be booked on Hotwire or Priceline for less than $150.00. EASY transit from either place into Manhattan for sightseeing. Bus from the Sheraton, PATH from Jersey City.

I will look those up. Thanks. Also, if I can find a good deal at a hotel in Manhattan, how much do you think a cab would cost to from JFK to Manhattan and also from Manhattan to the port.??

Sorry, so many questions!!:)

Questions are good! And information is good too. I just assumed from your first post that you were driving and had found a good hotel deal in Woodbridge instead of Newark or Elizabeth, which is where most drivers stay. Not really a bad choice with a car - not far from the port and accessible to Manhattan - people do it every day.

Anyway, you are carless, flying into EWR or JFK, and want a hotel in or near NY so you can sightsee and get to Cape Liberty. What does your budget look like? Will you have a lot of luggage? How do you feel about public transportation? For example, you can take the subway from JFK all the way into Manhattan and then take a cab locally, if necessary.

I'm sure someone will speak up about cabs from JFK to NY as well as other options such as airport buses.

Questions are good! And information is good too. I just assumed from your first post that you were driving and had found a good hotel deal in Woodbridge instead of Newark or Elizabeth, which is where most drivers stay. Not really a bad choice with a car - not far from the port and accessible to Manhattan - people do it every day.

Anyway, you are carless, flying into EWR or JFK, and want a hotel in or near NY so you can sightsee and get to Cape Liberty. What does your budget look like? Will you have a lot of luggage? How do you feel about public transportation? For example, you can take the subway from JFK all the way into Manhattan and then take a cab locally, if necessary.

I'm sure someone will speak up about cabs from JFK to NY as well as other options such as airport buses.

From the TLC website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

- New Jersey (excluding Newark Airport)

The fare will be a set-rate, pre-determined between the passenger and the driver that must be paid at the end of the trip.

You can take subway from JFK to Manhattan. There is an "Airtrain" at the JFK terminals that will take you to the NYC Subway system. I suggest you take the Airtrain to Jamaica and take the E train into Manhattan. However, if you have a substantial amount of luggage, I don't suggest you take that route. The subways can get quite congested.

You may want to check with the hotel you plan to stay out about shuttle buses.

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your very good info.

Thinks we will give public transport a miss as we are a family of four (kids 6 and 14) and dont think we would manage trains/buses very well, though dont think we will have loads of luggage (says me who well overpacked for last cruise!).

As regards budget, we are happy to pay middle of the range though I know that hotels in Manhattan tend to be very expensive. Out of interest if we flew into Newark (which I believe is the closest to the port, so would be easy to get back to airport when we return) how far is it in a cab from there into Manhattan, and would we be paying over the odds as we will be going from NJ to NY???

Ta:)

Archived