Celebrity Haleakala tour in Maui

safein

This is for any veteran Celebrity Hawaii cruisers (That's why I'm not asking this on the Ports board)

Do you know what time this tour starts? We're looking to do the sunrise on the mountain. I see that there is a tour, but I don't know if this is during the day or will we be able to see the sunrise.

Anita

From The Infinity Daily Nov 24.2003(our second day in Lahaina) the tour for Haleakala Crater was scheduled to leave the ship at 7:00 am. Per Celebrity's tour book, this tour is 7 hours and the drive up the mountain is all that is mentioned, not sure why it takes so long?????

When we were there to see the sunrise you have to leave at 2:00am. We did not go because we could not get of the ship at that time. We were there for 2 days we rented a car an drove up. It was the best thing we did if you get the chance GO!!!. Make sure you bring a jacket or sweater it is coldAL.D

If you leave at 7:00 am, you are certainly not seeing the sunrise...

I never did Hawaii by cruise, but I have been their on more typical "air/land" vacations and did the "Maui Downhill" a few years ago...That's the trip where you drive up in the extremely early morning (they picked us up at the Grand Wailea at 3:00 am), watch the sunrise over the crater and then bicycle down...an incredible experience...

I actually still have the brochure...right in front of me right now...

The road up to the crater takes awhile to navigate...it's just over 38 miles long from the bottom of the hill to the top of the crater (that does not count the drive from the ship to the base of the road up) and goes through multiple hairpin turns as it rises 10,000 feet above sea level in elevation...

Just to give you guys an idea or perspective...that's a full 10,000 foot height differential...Those folks over in Colorado like to brag about their 14,000 foot mountains...BUT those mountains generaly start at a base that's already well over 6,000 above sea level...So, if you've ever been impressed with Pike's Peak (elevation 14,115), remember, its base at Manitou Springs, is at an elevation of 6,320...So, in reality, that impressive mountain is only 7,795 feet high...

Haleakala is a FULL 10,000!!!

(side note: Of course, we Californians have the Eastern slope of the Southern Sierra with Mt. Whitney at 14,494 virtually facing Death Valley at –282 ...a drop of 14,776 (of course, it's not a continuous drop, you go down the sheer face of Whitney to the Owens Valley (between 2000 ft. around China Lake to 3800 at Lone Pine), then back up another range (the White Mountains) which go as high as 14,246 above sea level THEN down to the depths of Death Valley...In any event, no one in the Continental US has the ups and downs we have)

In any event, Haleakala will be a unique experience for most...and yes, it is far more than a short little bus ride...

Haleakala is great if you hit it at the right time. I have been there several times and you need to know that the crater may sometimes be completely filled with clouds so you can't see anything at all. When the crater is clear the view is fantastic. The landscape is something that you won't see anywhere else. In many cases you will drive through the clouds on the way to the summit. When you get to the top you will be able to look down at the clouds.

Hi,

We've done Hawaii on Celebrity, and though we didn't do a sunrise tour of Haleakala I believe they were available. Have you checked the Celebrity website to see if your cruise has that particular excursion? Regardless, don't miss seeing Haleakala if you haven't been there before. It's simply breathtaking!

If you do get to do the sunrise tour, I emphasize your need to be bundled up quite well for being outdoors at the summit. Tours usually provide blankets to wrap up in for those who don't have layered, warm clothing. Yes, even in Hawaii it can be rather frosty at the 10,000 ft. level.

Have a great trip!

CM

Thanks everyone for the help! CM, unfortunately as I write this, there is no listing for our cruise's shore excursions. Not quite sure why the delay! Our sailing has long been sold out so we can't they don't have any excursions up and ready yet.

Anita

We've already received the shore excursions for the Infinity 11/14/2004 sailing and they appear to be the same as last years and also correspond to those listed on the Celebrity web site. The only Haleakala tour listed is a 7 hour tour at a cost of $79 pp. As I mentioned before, last year it left the ship at 7 am on the second day at Lahaina, and as someone correctly noted, that is too late for the sunrise. It is of course, entirely possible that Celebrity may well add a sunrise tour, but it would probably have to leave the ship at 3 am. The tender schedule last year had tenders running from ship to shore on the hour and returning on the half hour after 11 pm.

We are looking forward to this cruise. Do you know anything about the service from San Diego to Ensanada? On the message board all the opinions for choosing between sailing out of Vancouver or Ensanada were definitely for Vancouver. One person said they still have not received their suitcase. I'm a little concerned. Also any thoughts an people getting together and renting a car and driving around the islands when possible. This is my first time to sign up for the party for the cruise critic board people on the ship. Don't know if we will be invited. Thanks for any info.

Hi,

When you stop in Lahaina, Maui, there's a great place to rent a car very near where you'll disembark the tenders. It would be across the street from the northwest corner of the city square. It's a small lot, but features everything from economy cars to BMW convertibles for rent. On our 2002 Celebrity cruise four of us had a brand new Chrysler convertible to drive all over Maui. Quite nice!

Archived