Beaches

pizzazzsas

If the ship docks in Hamilton there are no beaches within walking distance. As a matter of fact I've never seen any beaches close to the docks, whether it be in Hamilton, St. Georges or the Dock Yards. We've always taken the bus to Horseshoe Beach. That's neat but it's one long walk back up the hill to the bus stop.

Enjoy your cruise

dave

There are some beaches within walking distance of the pier in St. Georges but it involves a 10-15 minute (and hilly) walk. I've noticed a few older threads that discuss these beaches so if your ship will be docking in St. Georges look up those threads for more detail. I still prefer the South Shore beaches but they are not near any dock.

I agree to take the bus to the south shore beaches and it will take more than a half an hour so allow plenty of time, especially on your sail day.

A long walk to the other side of the area where you will be docked to the bus stop and the local bus makes a lot of stops on the way. There is a courtesy bus that rides around the dockyard area to take you from one side to the other.

We didn't mind the buses at all and you get a nice view on the way so sit on the right of the bus behind the driver.

We went to Horseshoe Bay two days and Warwick Beach and Jobson's Cove (right next to it) on another day while there for our four days at the beginning of the month on the Empress of the Seas.

Horseshoe Bay can get crowded and a little time consuming to get back up the long hill (there is a shuttle bus for $1 pp) and over to the bus stop where 20 to 30 others can be waiting for a bus as well. People can stand but that makes it even harder for those continually getting off and on.

You may want to buy a two day bus/ferry pass which is $12 pp per day and there is a tourist information booth right at the dock when you exit the ship.

Took us almost an hour one day to get back to Hamilton with many stops to let school children on so again, just allow enough time.

Enjoy your cruise and you will experience the most beautiful beaches you can imagine!

The only beach within walking distance to Kings Wharf (the Dock Yard) is the new Snorkel Park. It's probably a 10 minute level walk!

We went there in early October when the Empress was docked at Kings Wharf. It's a very small beach but has nice sand, some hammocks, and picnic tables. There is good snorkeling and slides into the water for kids. I enjoyed it very much and there were lots of fish to see.

The park is not totally completed yet, but what is finished is very nice and usable. I was able to rent a flotation vest (I had my own snorkel gear) and they had a Kiosk where you could get all sorts of beach things. The restrooms are completed and very nice and by next year the snack bar should be open as well.

The only problem I can foresee is if the Voyager pulls in to King's Wharf, there will be 3000 people converging on this tiny, but very nice beach area!!

We also took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay and back. If you share the taxi with other people, the cost isn't bad. It costs about $25 to go from the Dock Yards to Horseshoe Bay (each way), but if you share it with 4-6 people, you end up dividing the total by the number of people, so it could end up being as little as $6 - $7 each person. Of course, if you're a family of 4, you'll end up paying the whole amount anyway.

I would probably try the buses the next time we're there, but since we didn't want to waste too much time, we opted for the taxi and were lucky to share it with other folks.

Archived