iPhone G3 and Princess

HKM

YES! Prior to a 2 week cruise to Hawaii last year I contacted my cell phone carrier (AT&T) about using it while cruising. I was told this same thing - keep the phone turned OFF while out to sea or risk being charged lots of expensive long distance and/or roaming charges. :eek:

I did keep the phone off while at sea, only firing it up when we were in port at the different islands. Then just regular usage fees were applied since we were in the US! :D

A cautionary note that I don't really understand ... but you will! People have said that you need to be careful to turn off your iPhone browser when traveling out of the country because you will occasionally be "roaming" in high-cost areas using tons of minutes (as it checks for email) and racking up huge bills ... and not even know it! In July we were traveling with a fellow who is a huge user of his iPhone. He just used it in ports where he knew he had service included in his plan. Other times he used the ship's computers for email. This may not be a problem with some cell plans.

Well to put it simply, your iPhone may be doing things that you don't know even if you're not making a phone call (like checking your email, etc.). If you are in a foreign country when this happens you will be charged for the data usage and the rates are high. The easiest way to make sure this doesn't happen is to just power down your iPhone (hold down the top button until you get the slider that asks if you wish to power down) when you know that you're not in an AT&T area or you can put it into airplane mode and this turns off the phone part of the iPhone.

I kid you not, even the bold part was not too remedial. Thanks for the consultation!

I'm glad to know several of you were able to use your iPhones to access e-mail. Thanks for your help. One concern I had was something that Paul mentioned - whether I would have difficulty accessing the internet using Safari. In worst case, I could simply use the internet cafe. Your advice about the Apple Store is timely - an Apple Store opened here last week. I visited for the first time today and was very impressed with their staff. Everyone was very knowledgeable and eager to help.

Regarding using Safari with WiFi - I do seem to have more problems accessing WiFi with Safari than I do on my laptop. This seems to be especially true when there is some type of login/authentication required. For example, I was at Starbucks yesterday trying to login (I get the free access thru the Starbucks Rewards card), I spent about 30 mins. trying to get logged in and never could. But my laptop would login just fine. But then, I've never had any problems using my iPhone WiFi at other locations, like Hampton Inns. It seems to vary by location. So maybe the WiFi on the ship will be okay.

Regarding using Safari with WiFi - I do seem to have more problems accessing WiFi with Safari than I do on my laptop. This seems to be especially true when there is some type of login/authentication required. For example, I was at Starbucks yesterday trying to login (I get the free access thru the Starbucks Rewards card), I spent about 30 mins. trying to get logged in and never could. But my laptop would login just fine. But then, I've never had any problems using my iPhone WiFi at other locations, like Hampton Inns. It seems to vary by location. So maybe the WiFi on the ship will be okay.

I dunno. I've had lots of problems at Starbucks. Use a PC laptop. Just Starbucks. Never a problem at Paneira, airport hotspots, etc. I think however Starbucks sets it up is just a little more complicated then normal. Just the other day, a local community college teacher who taught computers was there and tried to figure out why my laptop couldn't connect. He couldn't figure it out. I think it's just Starbucks.

I've always had trouble with Starbucks WiFi, no matter what I was using. I went through 2 weeks of frustration after getting the iPhone. Finally, I got through to a Starbucks technician who got me set up & now it works. If you check the new link on their site, it walks you through pretty well. It's all in the passwords and the order in which you select member options. I later asked one of the Apple Store assistants about this problem and he said it seems to be unique to Starbucks. Supposedly, AT&T is working with Starbucks to make it more user-friendly.

Mine won't even get onto the options. It keeps trying to log on to t-mobile hotspot. I seemingly force it onto ATT, but while it says I'm logged into ATT, the browser keeps saying it's attempting to connect with hotspot. I don't even think there's another t-mo hotspot around the starbucks I normally go to. I think they just didn't properly transition from t-mo to att.

National Geographic Travel magazine for September 2008 has page 30 on the problems with use of the more recent cell/data phones and the excruciatingly high cost of even turning them on (on board or in foreign countries) without understanding how they work or the charges. For example you can be charged for roaming even if you make no calls because the "meter" runs for text messages and voice mail messages that are incoming. They estimate that you need a $200 budget for cell calls onboard for a one week cruise for two people.

If you are concerned, check it out at your book store or library before turning on your phone.

For example you can be charged for roaming even if you make no calls because the "meter" runs for text messages and voice mail messages that are incoming. They estimate that you need a $200 budget for cell calls onboard for a one week cruise for two people.

Don't know how it works in the US, but I don't get charged for incomming roaming text messages.

However I can be charge for people leaving voicemails as once the phone is switched on (and associates with a roaming network) the call is diverted the other network and then back again to your voicemail box (so you're charged roaming rates for people leaving you a message).

I'm just going to turn off data roaming, turn off voice mail and turn off push email then I know that I'll only get charged for what I use.

Mine won't even get onto the options. It keeps trying to log on to t-mobile hotspot. I seemingly force it onto ATT, but while it says I'm logged into ATT, the browser keeps saying it's attempting to connect with hotspot. I don't even think there's another t-mo hotspot around the starbucks I normally go to. I think they just didn't properly transition from t-mo to att.

I had that same problem for about a month after ATT supposedly took over. I honestly don't know what finally fixed it.

Archived