QM2 Cabin Selection with infant

CaneCruiser

We will be travelling on the QM2 in the Caribbean this November and we would like opinions on choosing a B2 or P3 cabin. We are frequent cruisers, but this is our 1st on Cunard and with our 14 month old. The B2 has the advantage of being on deck 6 next to the day care. The P3 is on deck 10 aft and would have the advantage of being a bigger room with a bathtub and eating in the princess grill. We are not sure if it is worth the $3,000 difference or be a better choice for us regardless of price. Obviously we wouldn't bring our daughter for dinner, but how about breakfast and lunch in the grill? Any other tips for cruising on Cunard with an infant?

We will be travelling on the QM2 in the Caribbean this November and we would like opinions on choosing a B2 or P3 cabin. We are frequent cruisers, but this is our 1st on Cunard and with our 14 month old. The B2 has the advantage of being on deck 6 next to the day care. The P3 is on deck 10 aft and would have the advantage of being a bigger room with a bathtub and eating in the princess grill. We are not sure if it is worth the $3,000 difference or be a better choice for us regardless of price. Obviously we wouldn't bring our daughter for dinner, but how about breakfast and lunch in the grill? Any other tips for cruising on Cunard with an infant?

If money isn't the problem go for the bath tub and the room.

Glenn.

Hi I sailed on the QM2 to the Carribean last year with my son who was then 3 1/2. We had a B2 cabin on deck 6 which I really liked. In fact, I booked the same type and location for our next cruise.

The location is perfect for a small child--not only are you close to the Play Zone (which is no small thing when you are rushing to drop your child off and make your shore excursion or some other activity), you are also right by the children's pool and play area. Granted you can use all these facilities wherever your cabin is, but the QM2 is huge and it is nice to have these facilities so close. The first time we took the QM2 we were in an inside cabin on deck 11 and it was much easier being so close to the Play Zone.

I also felt better about having the sheltered balcony with a small child. I am sure the glass ones are completely safe, but I just felt better with all that steel there. That is me. On the other hand, a lot of people don't like the in-hull balconies. By the way, the balcony doors are quite heavy so whatever you choose, I don't think you have to worry about your child wandering out their on her own. My son couldn't open them and like I said he was 3 1/2 at the time.

Have a good time! The staff at the Playzone is awesome!

Ginger (Sean's Mom, now age 4 and looking forward to going on the "Big Ship" again)

I think they should be able to accomodate you, but I am not 100% sure on this point. I never took my son to the formal dining room. (That was my decision--nobody ever told me that I couldn't bring him. I just didn't want to deal with keeping my very active little boy under control in the dining room.) The waiter did tell me that they do serve a children's menu, and that I was welcome to bring my son.

There is a special "children's tea" at 5:00 most evenings. They had all the standard kid foods--chicken nuggets, spaghetti, hamburgers etc. . . I took my son to that or to the King's Court buffet for dinner. He liked the children's dinner because he usually saw one of his friends aboard there.

Ginger

We are considering taking that same Nov. cruise with our kids who will be barely 2 and 7. I have taken them to the main dining room on HAL very successfully, and hope to do the same on QM2. However, if we did the 5 pm kid's tea, what do you do with your kids after? My understanding is that the child care does not reopen until 8 pm which is bedtime for my younger daughter.

The Zone (the childcare center) opens at 6 most nights. I think the first night they probably did open at 8 and they close the night before the cruise ends so they can clean the area before the next cruise. Other than that they are open 6 until midnight or 1am every night.

What I generally did was take my son to the children's dinner and then drop him off at the Zone. Other people would take their children to the dining room and then drop them off at the zone while they finished their meals or did something else.

Usually, they have free play from 6-8 and then at 8 they turn the lights down and start showing kids movies. They give the kids blankets and pillows and a lot of them fall asleep during the movies. You can bring you child over in his pjs if you want.

Ginger (Sean's Mom, now 4)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cane Cruiser! I think we are on the same voyage, southern Caribbean, leaving Nov 29th? We will be traveling with our then 15month old son. Have you signed up on the roll call?

Like you, I have lots of questions about our first advanture on QM2 with wee one in tow, so if you want to compare notes sometime, drop me an email!

atwinhusen@aol.com

Here are some photos and handouts about the Zone from January. Our friends who placed their two year old there praised it. I recall a toddler dining in the Princess Grill with his mom and receiving nothing but gooey adult compliments.

Bon voyage to you and your daughter.

Archived