Chichen Itza Maya Ruins

cruising kate

My husband and I visited the site on a HAL shore excursion from Playa del Carmen approximately 4 years ago; flew in on a small 20-seater turbo-prop. It was expensive (I believe ~ $400USD/person) but one of the most impressive and spectacular days we've spent. It was much less commercial and extensive than certain other locations. I would definitely recommend it; would even go again if the opportunity presented.

I've been to Key West maybe 7 or 8 times. I love the Keys!

There is great shopping! You may have to wade past the touristy T-shirt stores, but there are very nice galleries.

The Hemingway House, The Old Town Trolley and Mel Fisher's shipwreck museum are all fun. We always like to rent bikes and just ride around looking at some of the beautiful Conch Houses. The Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square is legendary and shouldn't be missed.

There are great bars all over the place if you want to wet your whistle.

Snorkeling trips and catamaran cruises are a lot of fun, too. You can also take a trip out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, which is gorgeous!

The vibe down there is quite different. They don't call it "Key Weird" for nothing. :)

We stayed at Chichen for three days and loved it: but then, we're both real Maya buffs who had been interested in the city since grade school.

You didn't say which port the ship will visit. If your ship docks at Progresso, it's definitely worth it, even though you won't have the full experience we had while staying there. If the ship docks at Cozumel, Cancun, or Playa del Carmen, it's either a very long, fairly expensive day; or a very expensive day with flightseeing. Do it if you love the Maya, since the site is wonderful. If you're not into seeing ruins, do something more relaxing.

Key West is terra incognita to us.

I've been to both sites and it is Uxmal that I would choose if I had your choice. Both places are really wonderful and amazing, but Uxmal is farther from Cancun and from the major highway and therefore is less crowded.

I did Chichen Itza 21 years ago as a bus tour from Cancun. It was worth it for us because we happened to go on the Autumnal Equinox and got to see the snake crawl down the pyramid. The Mayas built it so that the shadows cast on the equinox looked like a snake. We spent all day, and I mean all day, like 4 hours each way by bus, but it was very educational. Would I do it again the same way? No, been there, done that. Would I recommend it for others? Yes, if you are into the history and archaeology. I would suggest trying to go near an equinox but...

Now, I have not been to Uxmal but I have been to Talum (sp?). It is much closer to Cancun. Did that about 14 years ago. If you are just looking for an overview of the culture and don't want to spend all day or a lot of money, it may be a better option. It was gorgeous there. I could have sat on the cliffs overlooking the beach for days.

Been to Chichen Itza, Uxmal and Tulum - Uxmal is the more spectacular but more difficult to get to - especially from the Cancun coast. Both are definitely worth it. Tulum is a small taste of what they offer - which puts you in awe at the skill and engineering talent of a civilization without a wheel.

Wander Key West on foot and have fun - there's nothing so improtant there that it is a must see.

David

Archived