First time cruiser-couple of questions.

Hi

Reading through these forums has answered lots of my questions so thank you but I have a couple more. We are going on our first cruise in February to the Canaries on the celebration with our 2 children (9 and 5 )

My questions are

If you go off the ship for the day can you get a packed lunch to take with you like you do if you are full board in a hotel ?

If you are not going on an organised trip can you get off and on the boat at your leisure ? My 5 year old will want to sleep in if he is up late at night !

Do you think there will be lots of children on board as its half term, hope ours wont be the only ones !

I have lots more Im sure but thats all I can think of for now. Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum,

I'm not aware that there are packed lunches available - but other posters may know something different! We always have such a big breakfast (much more than at home) that we usually find a coffee and cake mid-day is enough until we get back on board and have afternoon tea (cream scones etc!) Having said that, somehow we manage to eat lunch on sea days - just because it's there - shameful :o . I know it's different with little ones though - you have to plan for their needs. There is plenty of fresh fruit available at breakfast time and you could take some pieces of fruit for later in the day. I have also seen people making ham rolls etc. from the breakfast buffet and wrapping them in serviettes - presumably to take off board for lunch. There are danish, muffins and croissants too. If you go on an organised full-day trip, lunch is usually included - but then again you do pay for that.

Yes, you can come and go as you please on port days. Lunch in the Lido is spread over quite a long period (about 11.30 - 15.00 from memory) so you can go back for lunch if you wish depending on your movements as it's not a tight time-slot.

Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Las Palmas and Madeira are all easy to walk off yourself. Arrecife port is a little bit out of town - but I would recommend a trip on Lanzarote as it's a spectacular (and very different) island and well worth going out to see something of it. In Morocco the port's not really in walking distance of Agadir and you may feel more comfortable on an organised trip here.

We tend to travel out of school hols (cheaper!) but there are still usually a few children on board so at half-term I would expect there to be quite a lot more.

Anyway, I hope this helps and that you really enjoy your cruise - Celebration is such a friendly ship :) Enjoy!

P.S. I've done this twice - does anyone else post a reply, preview it then forget to post it? What an idiot!!!!

Thank you that was really helpful :)

Sounds like you have been on the colourful coasts cruise ? We are thinking of going on the cable car at Madeira under our own steam and at the other ports finding a beach to visit, taking a taxi if necessary, are there any beaches which are within walking distance of the ports ?

I have been reading lots of reviews and am quite worried about going to Morocco, some people said there was a beach nearby but do you think its safe to take a taxi there ? Maybe we would be better off staying on the ship Im not sure.

Thanks again, sure I will be back with more questions as I think of them !!

Hi, Yes, it's quite easy to do the cable car (and toboggan ride too) on your own in Funchal. The toboggan only takes you about half-way back down to the waterfront and it's quite steep (bit tough on the knees at my age!) but doable - even for me!

There is a beach very close to the port at Gran Canaria - come out of the port area (under an odd-shaped large tarpaulin shade) and bear right to Playa de las Canteras. It's clearly marked on the little map they give you on board for each destination. It's a nicer beach than the one to your left as you emerge from the port.

I don't think there's a beach within walking distance of Santa Cruz, La Palma. It's a rocky shore-line here, but that's not to say there isn't a sandy beach nearby. Try a Google for the island and see if there's anything on there.

There is a beach at Arrecife too - not sure how good though. I think that would be a taxi ride from the port as it's the opposite end of town - but quite a short one. Taxis in Lanzarote are quite cheap.

I don't quite know how to advise re Morocco. It is a very different culture compared to the other destinations - but we found it fascinating and quite exciting. We went on an organised trip though (Tourrandant) as we were a bit nervous of doing it ourselves and to be sure you do get approached quite a lot if you show any interest in any items in the souk etc. and it can be quite difficult to get away. You have the additional responsibility of your children too. Perhaps quiz the destination services about the suitablity of trying to get to the beach at Agadir (I think it's probably quite nice there - it looked sandy) but I have read about people being over-charged for taxis - you are a bit dependent on the reliability of transport. I'm not sure if it would be too far to walk with children - it doesn't look far on the little destinations map though. In this booklet, it says 'Agadir has acquired the title 'Nice of Morocco' and has a fine beach almost 8Km long, adjacent to the town centre. Lined with cafes and restaurants, it is gently shelving but there are some strong undercurrents.'

Sorry I can't give you any more first-hand information as we don't tend to go to the beaches but perhaps other posters will have done their own thing in Agadir and will be able to help.

Just found the destinations guide for La Palma - it says under 'swimming' 'the nearest beach, just south of the port is at Playa de los Cancajos.' I've no idea how far away that is though, or how easy it is to get there as it's not shown on the map in the guide which just shows Santa Cruz.

Hi pebble12345,

Went on this cruise on Destiny last easter. As Kruzseeka states in Funchal the cable car and tobbogan rides are a must. There are also helicopter rides around the island which take off from just outside of the harbour.

In Gran canaria we got a taxi to playa de ingles in the south of the island which is a great beach but it is about 40 euros each way in a taxi.

At La Parma there is a black volcanic sand beach to the left of the harbour entrance although we didnt go on it, it looked ok from the ship.

In Lanzorote we took the cruise excursion coach trip to Costa Teguise which was about 20 mins away. Had about 4 hrs on the beach before getting the coach back. This is an nice resort with bars and shops around the promenade. The beach is well known for windsurfing if thats what your into.

At Agadir we did the excursion to the Souk (covered market) which I wouldnt bother doing again. On the way to the Souk though we went past the beach which was very long and looked very clean.

All in all this is a great cruise and I know you will enjoy it. Hope this helps,

Cheers

eaststandbaggie

Archived