Antigua to San Juan, Dec 04 2008

xander

We're booked on the SeaDream 1 cruise departing Antigua on Dec 04 later this year. We call at St Martin, Nevis, Saba, Gustavia, Virgin Gorda and Jost van Dyke before disembarking in San Juan on 12 Dec.

Is anyone else joining us?

We've sailed SeaDream before and loved it, so we are really looking forward to this cruise. We're flying into Antigua the day before the cruise and staying there also for one night after so it should all be a relaxing holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we've had the final invoice - so that means this cruise is getting nearer and nearer. And are we the only ones onboard?

I guess it's a quiet time of year as it's the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Hi Ian and Gus,

You won't have it all to yourselves ! Four of us will be joining you.

We booked this trip on our transatlantic crossing on SD1 in May this year and can't wait to get back on board. Our friends who are coming with us, will be their first time on Seadream.

We've visited a couple of the ports before, but we love St. Barths, and some of the others are new to us.

We will be in Barbados the week before, and fly over on the thursday, but will be flying back to the Uk via New York.

We booked deck 2 gty's , and have just noticed the price has gone down a little. Hope our TA can get us the new price before we make final payment.......anyone know ?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

You're right - the price has gone down - we've got a deck 2 guarantee too. It's worth a phone call to see if they'll match the new price - especially as the exchange rate has moved against us since we booked.

We are flying direct to Antigua with Virgin. Staying at the Inn at English Harbour the night before the cruise, and at Carlisle Bay for one night after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian & Gus,

Just wondering if you managed to get your price adjusted to the lower one ?

Our TA managed to do it for us just before we made final payment :)

With the new pricing, it will just about cover the difference in the $/£ plumetting exchange rate.

We booked in $ when we were on board thinking it was a good idea as the rate was in our favour then. Maybe not such a good idea now !

At least all the champagne is already paid for :p

Hi Andrew,

Yes we did manage to get the lower price. The Norway office of SeaDream were very helpful - in fact we switched from a named cabin (I'd forgotten we had that) to a deck 2 guarantee. For a moment we thought the saving would pay for the one night splurge at Carlisle Bay....and then we saw the $ exchange rate. Thanks Alistair Darling for that "worst economic situation in 60 years" comment. Still, as you say, the champagne is paid for!

With only 3 months to go, we are now allowing ourselves to get excited about this cruise. Gus has started to plan what we will do on each island - so far the only definite is a trip to the beach on St Martin where the planes fly low overhead. Gus is a keen photographer and he wants the iconic one of the jumbo jet and the beach! I normally play the role of bored photographer's assistant!

• 1 month later...

Forgot to mention it also interesting (if that's the right word) to watch the bizarre group of people that hang on to the fence at the end of the runway when an aircraft is taking off.

There are signs everywhere to tell you not to do it, but do it they do. They get covered in aviation fuel and fumes as the thrust is strong enough to push the sea back on the other side of the road.

Rather them than me !

Ian,

When we were there last November, Air France were flying an A340.

I think the only other carrier that might fly a jumbo there would be KLM, but you would have to check their schedules to see if they have one the day we're there............or is that tooo much planning !:)

Andrew ,

There's no such thing as toooo much planning !! I've already checked it out , Air France still use an A340 and flies in at 14h30and KLM fly in at 18h15 . All the other afternoon flights are 737's and 757's.

Need to double check again since they've changed our St Martin date to the 9th.

(Gus)

:( Have just had a look at the new date that we'll be in St Martin and sadly no KLM or Air France arriving on a tuesday. AA and Continental at 12h49 and 12h50 , that will have to do i guess ....

Disneyjen,

Having viewed those youtube videos, I just hope that beach is non-smoking!

Can you say BOOM!!!:rolleyes:

DJ's DH and I haven't been to that beach since our honeymoon on SXM almost 25 years ago. The planes weren't as big then ... but there folks on the beach "enjoying" the jet wash then:rolleyes:

Visiting that beach has evidently become somewhat of a pilgrimage for some.

It's a must do for Gus - he wants that photo. Worringly - if he's behind the camera, that means I'll be the one getting high on kerosene fumes! :(

Oh the things places we'll go (I sure do sound like Dr. Seuss after a martini don't I:rolleyes:) ...

There is a beach bar there as well ... although the I think it is closed right now for a change in ownership.

So will this photo grace your holiday card this year?:p;):D

Disneyjen,

I think the royal family and possibly the prime minister send official holiday cards with their own pics on them - but it's not something that has caught on with the rest of us Brits. And I'm not sure if Gordon Brown will do that this year - his scowling face wishing me a Prosperous New Year just wouldn't ring true somehow.....:rolleyes:

Disneyjen,

I think the royal family and possibly the prime minister send official holiday cards with their own pics on them - but it's not something that has caught on with the rest of us Brits. And I'm not sure if Gordon Brown will do that this year - his scowling face wishing me a Prosperous New Year just wouldn't ring true somehow.....:rolleyes:

Some Americans (yes I admit I am one of them) include a newsletter and/or family photo with their holiday wishes.

I chuckled at the mental image of Gordon Brown and his scowl.

So the doorbell rang mid morning - a bit early for trick or treaters I thought. It was the Fed Ex man - with the best treat of all - our SeaDream tickets. :) :) :) :)

Congrats!!

I always find that the cruise becomes REAL once I have those lovely blue folios in hand:D

We're now debating what names to put on our SeaDream pyjamas. Keeping up with the latest trends is important so we may well go for

Gus the personal trainer

Ian the buying director

:D

Archived