How many 'official' copies needed?

I appologize if this exists in another thread - I tried searching, but never found quite what I was looking for.

For those recent brides who have already gotten married and have gone through the process of changing your name (if you did) - how may 'official' copies of your marriage certificate did you need to complete the process?

I know some agencies (such as Social Security, Licence, Passport, etc.) say they need an 'official' copy (one with the raised seal) and won't accept just a photo copy.

I'm getting married in November and I would like to 'pre-order' the number of official copies I will need so that I don't have issue a second request (according to my Carnival Wedding Coordinator - this is possible; we are getting married in port prior to departure so it will be in Florida)

Thanks for any advice / info!

I just finished (I think) this process. All I needed was one official marriage certificate. I changed it with Social Security, DMV, car registration, insurance, mortgage, bank, work, credit cards, frequent flier and passport.

I showed the official copy at Social Security (the 1st place you should change it) and DMV. They looked at it and gave it back.

For my passport I sent my old passport, new pictures, application for name change, $75 check and a very clear color copy. While it says in one place that they require the official certificate, the application states that you must send...

"The name change document may be a certified copy or a complete and

unaltered photocopy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature."

That's what I did and I got my new passport back in 2 weeks (without expediting it).

My mortgage company and some credit cards wanted a photocopy of the certificate, but some credit cards just did it over the phone.

I just finished (I think) this process. All I needed was one official marriage certificate. I changed it with Social Security, DMV, car registration, insurance, mortgage, bank, work, credit cards, frequent flier and passport.

I showed the official copy at Social Security (the 1st place you should change it) and DMV. They looked at it and gave it back.

For my passport I sent my old passport, new pictures, application for name change, $75 check and a very clear color copy. While it says in one place that they require the official certificate, the application states that you must send...

"The name change document may be a certified copy

or a complete and

unaltered photocopy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature."

That's what I did and I got my new passport back in 2 weeks (without expediting it).

My mortgage company and some credit cards wanted a photocopy of the certificate, but some credit cards just did it over the phone.

Thank you! I may get 1 extra copy just in case, but it certainly saves me from getting the 9 or 10 I was thinking I would need (ok so I may have been thinking a little overboard:rolleyes: )!

I had the same experience as flhokie. No one needed to keep the license - they just looked at it and gave it back. I misread the Passport information and thought I had to send it in but the gals here cleared that up for me before I sent it.

Archived